Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: utahfantasy ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 12:10PM

Just wondering if I this is normal or not. I have slowly started replacing oh my gosh with the occasional oh my god or oh geez to oh Jesus. I am not sure how it started and to be honest it kind of surprised me at first. I didn't start this intentionally. But I don't really care anymore and I kind of like being rebellious to what I was taught as a TBM.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 12:18PM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 12:20PM

I worked with a Jew who used to say "Jesus Christ!" a lot. I don't know if that helps you any. I did the same thing saying "oh my god" instead of "oh my gosh." What is "gosh" anyway? What is the genesis of that term? It seems less silly somehow to take in vain the name of a god you don't believe in than a euphemistic one. Besides, the shock effect is the whole idea behind swearing. :-) I think you should say whatever you want.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 12:20PM

Posted by: jesuswantsme4asucker ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 12:31PM

I have never used "gosh" except around small children. I never really got the idea that using a phrase like "god damn you" could be offensive to god. If someone wanted to invoke my name to express surprise, anger, etc I would think it is pretty cool. They must think a lot of me to do that. No one goes around saying "Norman Rockwell damn you to hell". I don't currenly believe in god or christ, but if they do exist I still can't imagine they care one way or the other.

Date: April 26, 2013 12:46PM

I like to say Jesus H Christ even though I have no idea what the H is supposed to stand for. Recently I have taken to making up H names to go in the middle, my current fav is Jesus Horatio Christ - This gets my wife laughing every time.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 02:12PM

The first thing you need to figure out what the H stands for is to remember that Christ is a title, not a last name.

Second, the Lord's Prayer: Our father (and Jesus' father) who art in heaven HALLOWED BE THY NAME.

The H then, obviously stands for Hollowed.

Date: April 26, 2013 03:53PM

Ah so, thanks for the insight!

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 12:33PM

I started with cheese 'n rice but now I just say it.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 12:38PM

This morning after speaking with an annoying client on the phone, I hung up and blurted: J Fing C!

Date: April 26, 2013 12:40PM

Yeah saying oh my gosh just suddenly felt childish. Those days are over, I swear to god!! lol

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 01:03PM

I admit to being a frequent user of 'jesus christ' and 'god'. Somehow it seems very natural. I suppose that is because it is heard so often.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 01:11PM

I never have gone for the geez, or the infinitly more popular o my god.

I have started saying o my fuck, I save the divinity curses for only the most serious of circumstances and then it is holyjesusmotherfuckingchrist.

Date: April 26, 2013 02:07PM

Hahahaha funny stuff. "Holyjesusmotherfuckingchrist"

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 01:11PM

I say "oh my god" all the time. Another favorite is "good lord".

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 01:23PM

I always hates the way mormons say fetch. To me its the same as fuck.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 01:44PM

or flippin'

Date: April 26, 2013 02:08PM

Or shiz. So annoying. Grow up you dumb mf's

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 01:49PM

I always thought Bill Cosby's Jesus Christ skit was hilarious. Even when TBM

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 02:15PM

I say jesus often enough, but I dont know why. It disconcerts me since I am an atheist. Personally, I like Yikes. I dont think it means something that it isnt. It is more honest somehow.

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 02:20PM

I used to swear to myself all the time but never "took the lords name in vain". Now i kust say whatever fits. I love it. Guess i must have a feeble mind that can't express itself any other way

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 02:40PM

I did it back then, I still do it now. Why change?

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 02:42PM

Holy Mother of God, don't you know that Jesus Christ is a prayer?

God Dammit, there is no reason to give up our sacred prayers.

Posted by: redbullet750 ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 02:44PM

Might be offensive to some... but my favorite swear of all time is Goddammit/goddamn. My wife will laugh out loud whenever I'm pissed/surprised and blurt out Jesus H. Christ!

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 02:45PM

You all need to join Mormon Profanity Corner.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 03:03PM

What I think is funny is the only time I sound religious is when I'm having sex.

LOL

Date: April 26, 2013 03:16PM

I didn't grab my shoes or nothin Jesus. I got bronchitis. Ain't nobody got time fo dat

Posted by: Intellectually Homeless ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 05:41PM

This post takes a different angle on your comments. First, saying "God" or "Jesus" is likely not offensive to Yahweh (God) or Yahushua (Jesus), since they are not their real names because the theologians and rabbis deliberately decided to hide/nuke the real names. So the only ones you need to be concerned about offending are other people, not Yahweh.

Secondly, the real issue is dealing with the subconsious reaction and understanding its purpose is to emotionally settle the stress/problem for survival reasons--whether it is saying geez or Jesus. The fight and flight response is wired into us to deal with problems of life, but unfortunately, sometimes the reaction shuts down the rational mind, and though it makes us feel better to curse to promote survival, it doesn't always lead to the best decisions. The more we can control the reactions, the more successful we will be at making more intelligent decisions.

So, my take is that it would be a good idea to try and control the subconsious the best you can, but if the urge to curse is needed to cope, then don't worry about it, other than to avoid offending others who will definitely misjudge you, if they believe in "Jesus".

Most smokers respect not smoking in front of nonsmokers to not offend others, for example. Same thing. You don't need to worry about saying Jesus around atheists, but you perhaps need to be discrete around believers, for it is offensive to some of them. Just common courtesy stuff.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 06:15PM

I have more manly alternatives.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 06:30PM

I've always preferred "Sweet baby Jesus!" or "Sweet baby Jesus on a waffle cone!"

There are all kinds of things like that you can come up with. Around Mormons, for some reason, "baby Jesus" is less offensive. Maybe because of Talledega Nights.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 06:30PM

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 06:42PM

When I see one of those fish decals that say "Jesus" in them, while driving, I make a point of yelling "JESUS"! in a surprized/ shocked sounding way.

When the passenger(s) gets alarmed and says "WHAT"! I calmly say "that's what it say's in that little fish on the back of that car.....Jesus".

Gets 'em everytime:)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.