Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 07:25PM

From a friend:
"It's not "drilled to think".
If you believe the religion then you know the consequences of leaving the church once attending the temple."

What's the difference in consequences of leaving the church after attending the temple vs before being endowed? Aren't the consequences the same? I know that church discipline is harsher on those who've been endowed than not, but aren't the consequences the same?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: I'mjustsayin ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 07:29PM

Let's see. An extra day off each week, a 10% raise, fewer feeling of guilt, no more cognitive dissonance, freedom to think for yourself etc... I'm sure "they" would have a different answer to your question, but this is what I have found to be my experience.

Posted by: NoToJoe (unregistered) ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 10:08AM

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 07:29PM

No more rediculous underwear, or old guys with bad breath trying to cop-a-feel at the veil.

I don't think there is much difference. Same process to get rebaptized.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 07:32PM

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2013 07:40PM by steve benson.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 09:35AM

Make that an 11.11 percent raise.

Posted by: happilynotmormon ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 07:33PM

From a TBM perspective they are probably thinking of the movie in the temple where satan says something like if you don't do everything you say you will during the endowment then "you will be in my (satan's) power." Just another scare tactic.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 07:35PM

There are no consequences. It's all in their imaginations.

Date: April 26, 2013 07:37PM

Yes, yes, but from a tbm perspective. ;)

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 07:40PM

I'll have to weigh in on this by saying I don't understand the question,

If you believe there are consequences, why leave the Mormon church?

If you don't know the consequences, perhaps the best people to ask are the Mormons?

Like I said, I don't get the question, but I think/know Mormonism is a fraud cult. Which means they might feel comfortable doing weird things to people who leave their fraud cult.

I know based upon Mormon beliefs of my actions, I should suffer, my life to be taken. Hopefully no one is being convinced to do so, although we know in the past such has been the case. These are religious nut job fundamentalists, reigned in by a strong secular government and tamed somewhat over time. I just had a seriously disturbing call with one for sure TBM grandmother type and another apparent TBM grandmother type that think since gay marriage might become legal soon this will open the door back up for the eternal principle of polygamy. I guess Mormons don't get the difference between being homosexual and choosing to join a cult that teaches you God wants you to be polygamist.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2013 10:59PM by gentlestrength.

Date: April 26, 2013 07:42PM

From a TBM perspective, you're basically screwed for eternity.

Date: April 26, 2013 07:44PM

More screwed than those who leave before going to the temple? Equally so?

Date: April 26, 2013 10:53PM

rainwriter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> More screwed than those who leave before going to
> the temple? Equally so?

Yes, because the covenants made in the temple are said to be more solid. Plus you've learned all of the secret club passwords. You're further into the religion.

But it's all a moot point anyway, 'cause it doesn't really mean anything.

Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 01:20AM

Many of us have been though the temple. Basically your saving yourself the trauma of being scared to death w/blood oathes,etc. And like they say,you dont know all their secret handshakes...Oooohhhh.But really its all in their minds. When I sent in my resignation request,they said"inlight of the eternal consequences..."But to me THERE ARE NO ETERNAL CONSEQUENCES!! But if youre not ready wait. I do think you have to think for yourself.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 07:45PM

You have garments and other shit to dispose of.

Posted by: antipodeanheathen ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 08:33PM

I think the TBM's believe that we have denied the one true gospel and are, thus, much worse than <insert name of any mass murderer> who hasn't received the gospel. I was told that "denying the gospel" (I guess, by resigning)I had committed the worst possible sin and would punshed in the afterlife with a sentence far more severe than any paedophile, rapist, murderer who had never heard the gospel. it's supposedly more severe if you've done the temple voodoo secret, speshulthing, because you now know the "fullness".

It's stupid bat shit crazy idea.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 08:38PM

Nothing that I can think of that was threatened in the temple.

It's all metaphorical and symbolic anyhow.

As a non-member the temple ceremony has no impact on my life.

Posted by: philipafarewell ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 08:40PM

If it's true we're in trouble but, since it isn't no worries.

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 09:02PM

In d&c something or other it states "he that sins against the greater light receives the greater condemnation" so yes, according to that it is worse if you leave having gone through the temple

Posted by: lumpyfred ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 09:03PM

I struggled with this question myself for a few years. Now, I realize that there aren't going to be any eternal consequences. But when I took my first baby steps into the then-frightening world of ex-mormonism, I was told repeatedly by my bishop-dad and other morg leaders that I would have to make an accounting before the Lord on Judgment Day (an aside, I think Terminator 2 has a much more pleasing take on this fictional holiday). I was told I was an oath-breaker and that I had knowingly rejected the Spirit, so not even God would help me.

Think back to the time you went through the temple for the first time. What did you feel? Were you surprised by the general creepiness? Were you at all prepared for the promises you'd be asked to make?

They make a big deal out of that first temple visit, and likely have you go through accompanied by a room full of family and "friends". I thought of walking out several times during the ceremony, but really, very few people would have that courage. Those covenants were shoved up my keister, and once in, it took a very long time to be able to expel them.

Maybe your experience was similar, maybe not. But don't let those "friends" try to manipulate your sense of integrity.

Posted by: noncompete ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 10:02PM

I believe that the consequences are the same as when you stopped believing in Santa Claus.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 10:11PM

From a TBM perspective we are denying the Holy Ghost so we are sons and daughters of perdition who will be cast to outer darkness. Ergo it would have been better had we never have been mormon, non mormons get to to go to the Telestial Kingdom.

Better off never being mormon - a doctrine I agree with.

Posted by: Dr B (Buzzard Bait) ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 10:44PM

NONE! YOU LEAVE A CHURCH BUILT UPON LIES AND A FALSE PRIESTHOOD AND LEADERS THAT WERE NOT CHOSEN BY GOD! THAT INCLUDES TEMPLE CEREMONIES NOT ENDORSED OR AUTHORIZED BY THE LORD.

Posted by: memyself ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 10:47PM

This question does not sound like one coming from a non believer..why even ask such a silly thing!..Its a laughable cult induced thought process... consequence is being free and not participating in such silly non sense

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 12:27AM

If you leave before making covenants in the temple, eternity will be like a mildly amusing detention hour that goes on for quite a long time, until you are permitted to leave and be a servant to the holier-than-thous for an eternity.

If you leave after having taken out your endowment, you will spend eternity in outer darkness. The church has never been clear about the nature of this punishment, but it will definitely include being subjected to endless, crass sitcoms whilst being punched in the gut. I really wish I hadn't gone to the temple.

Posted by: laurel ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 12:46AM

NEW UNDERWEAR!!!!!!

Posted by: hives ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 01:45AM

I was told by the steak president that my future unborn children will suffer the consequences of my decision.
I am single and unmarried. When I meet my future wife, her unborn kids are screwed because of my apostasy.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 07:41AM

1. You are a son or daughter of perdition.

2. Not a f---ing thing.

All depends on how deep the brainwashing is and who you talk to. A mormon will shudder at the thought. An ex-mormon will shrug their shoulders and not give a s---.

I don't give a s--- if the mormon God is mad at me. I don't want to spend eternity with him or his Mormons in a celestial North Korea.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 11:11AM

Celestial North Korea--thanks, going to think that one through.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 09:29AM

After going thru the temple you probably bought a lot of Mormon-written books that you now have to get rid of,

along with the underwear. Unless, that is, you resigned/ stopped wearing garments at just the right time, and then you get the bonus of not having to cut the symbols out of your undies and either chop them to bits or burn them. You then get to throw them right in the trash.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 11:06AM

It means you don't get to be a Kim Il Un in the next life. It also means they've lost control over you. You're a free agent.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: April 27, 2013 11:15AM

In a Mr. Bill voice: "ooooh nooooooo!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.