Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Unconventional Ideas ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 09:10PM

Just want to know if anyone has an answer.

Historically, the Mormon Church never undertakes new projects unless there is something in it for them. For instance, the Perpetual Education Fund was all about getting lots of donations from "rich" Mormons, and then loaning out the interest on those donations to "poor" RMs in South America. Note, I understand they only loan from the interest from those donations. The principal they keep to themselves.

So, with the Lamanite Placement Program, I'm wondering if the Federal Government gave a subsidy to the church for each child in the program. Of course, the church didn't do any of the work. The members took in the children, fed them, clothed them, and sent them to school.

Of course, the whole program was wrongheaded, but I was wondering today if there was money in it for the Mormon Church.

Does anyone know?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 09:39PM

but I will always remember one boy that stayed with us (Richfield, UT), he was an awesome artist and he taught me to do a headstand. He was from the Zuni tribe. I've googled and all, but can't find a thing about him. I hope he had a good life and used his talent.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 09:41PM

Don't know about subsidies, but tax breaks were passed for foster families. A lot of information is in this link:

http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1094&context=etd

page 119
Through a concentrated effort led by LDS congressmen, a tax exemption was passed for foster parents in 1959. After January 1, 1960, the amendment allowed the foster parents a charitable contribution deduction for amounts paid to sustain the students in their homes.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 10:01PM

Date: January 19, 2011 10:30PM

The Intermountain Indian School was federally operated. Boyd K. Packer was on staff there.

http://www.usustatesman.com/2.5354/what-is-that-i-1.570958

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 10:48PM

I would like to know, too! I always wondered about that. Some of my extended family members had 'Lamanite' kids and did get subsidies, but I don't know if they were for being foster parents and from the state or what. I was a kid and a young teen and how foster care worked wasn't really something I paid attention to at the time. It wasn't until I was in college that I even heard the phrase 'Lamanite Placement' and realized that is what was going on.

I was particular friends with one of the girls (she was Zuni, too) but she disappeared and it was made clear to us by my aunt that the subject was a closed matter and would not be discussed. I think they just decided they just didn't want to do it anymore and didn't want to look bad to their ward so they just sent her wherever and just sort of erased the whole situation from their lives.

What a debacle that was--for everyone concerned!

Date: January 20, 2011 01:38PM

http://www.narf.org/icwa/federal/lh/icwaimpacta.pdf
page 18
"The Mormon homes are licensed as foster homes, and while the family is not reimbursed, they are allowed an income tax deduction."

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:31PM

income stream of the Lamanite tithing.

I don't know that the church was all about profit back then though. They actually believed in more of it.

My favorite part of all this is that Utah finally got sued by the feds for refusing to build public schools on reservations so the kids HAD to be brought out to white homes.

Posted by: Jim Huston ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:52PM

My family participated. It was a membership program like the South American baseball baptisms. The kid we had was baptized so he could get in the program. The promised the Indian families that they would provide education, a better life and advantages that the kids would never otherwise have. It was promoted among members as a duty to help Mormon children who were starving and had no options. The object was to indoctrinate the kids so they would be good Mormons and expand the "kingdom". The kid we had, had two brothers who were sent to a wealthy family in the area. The kid we had didn't do as well. I grew up living very close, if not in poverty. The kid said he had it better at home.

Posted by: temple name Julia ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 04:11PM

My sister and I were talking about this yesterday. How
great it is that 'the spirit' or whatever warned the girl
that was coming to our family to bail instead. She just
would have been abused like the rest of us.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.