Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:29AM

Both my boys, 8 and 4 were blessed, but wasn't/won't be baptized.

I just want confirmation that they are NOT considered members.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:32AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 02:32AM by bingoe4.

Date: January 20, 2011 11:58AM

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:29PM

The blessing will have been recorded and your child logged onto your membership record.

I blessed my daughter but she was never baptised.
Decades later she was contacted because her name was on record.

Date: January 20, 2011 02:49PM

And here I thought they'd slip under the wire.

Posted by: Anonymous Guy 1000 ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 03:00AM

They are considered children of record. They are not full members unless they were baptized and confirmed members by priesthood holders.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 10:55AM

So are children counted in the bogus 14.4 million membership number (or whatever it is)? If so, are they counted again when they are baptized?

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 10:59AM

I seem to remember one of the standard lines in a baby blessing is something along the lines of ",,,and the name by which you shall be known on the records of the church is...."

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 12:00PM

All the membership growth numbers released by TSCC don't make sense. Others have suggested that children of record are currently counted, since the math is so seriously messed up, but I would send resignation letters for them.

Posted by: Abigail ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:26PM

None of my three kids were baptized, but all were blessed. Just this last week, members of the church have come by the house two different times (at 8:30 at night) to ask about my two oldest kids who are 24 and 21. I told them they weren't interested in the church and to save themselves a trip concerning my youngest son (19) because he wasn't interested either.

They come around every few years to check up on them. My daughter has sent in her resignation through email but has heard nothing back yet.

Incidentally, a few years ago when she was living away from home, the missionaries randomly knocked at her door. She saw who it was and decided to answer the door in her bra. She thought it would scare them away. I told her that I was surprised that several more missionaries didn't show up at her door after that. haha

Anyway, if you don't want your kids to be bothered for the rest of their lives, have them resign.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:28PM

Posted by: churchlady ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:55PM

My kids were not blessed or baptized and they have never been contacted, i think they go on some kind of list if they have been blessed but not dunked.

Posted by: MarkW ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 03:01PM

and as such show up on the membership records of the Ward in which you live, just as a baptized member would. So to get them off the records you need to send in resignation letters for them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.