Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: June ( )
Date: May 18, 2013 07:11PM

I read somewhere today that mormon wives can't get into to heaven until their husbands call them in. Is this true? It seems familiar. Sad that I don't know considering I've been to the temple many times, but certain doctrine just isn't discussed. I am guessing that's what the temple names are for.

If it's true and I die years before my husband, what would I do in the mean time? Also, if he calls out my name I can guarantee I wont be responding unless it's my actual name. No women wants to be called some other women's name by her man, plus I've always hated my temple name. That is if the celestial kingdom actually existed and I was actually allowed in.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GetTheLedZepOut ( )
Date: May 18, 2013 08:05PM

Actually, I think the whole temple process implies that. Being lead through the veil by hubby, whispering your name to hubby, it all maintains the "patriarchal" notions of men first, then the ladies.

As do the practices of marriage; a man can seal to many women but not vice versa.

You have nothing to worry about....unless horn dog Joe Smith is in charge there, of course!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2013 08:05PM by GetTheLedZepOut.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 12:23AM

Thanks for being forthright, mysid. I realize that this has (dare I use the word?) "evolved" quite a bit since JS's day. I'm just wondering about what people believe now.

The link didn't work, Chucky. I'm asking here because I have learned that cults are good at suggesting and infering certain things, while they hold back on, or misrepresent, their actual teachings. As June said, in starting this thread, "certain doctrine just isn't discussed."

I did a search and came across a Q&A stating that polygamy/plural marriage is not REQUIRED for the CK. But that answer still allows for it as a possibility. Piecing together bits of LDS doctrine, it seems to me that the only hope for worthy, but otherwise unmarried females, to gain the CK is to be sealed to a worthy man in the Temple. Of course, that would have to be posthumous.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread. Check Post #1--June has a few questions that haven't been addressed.

Just to be clear: I don't buy into any kind of "eternal family" teaching.

Date: May 19, 2013 02:31AM

If I understand this "eternal families" thing right:

1) A Mormon man cannot be exalted ("CK") unless he is married. So bachelors are s***out of luck.
2) A woman cannot gain the CK unless she is called through the veil by her husband, using her Temple name.
3) Women not sealed in the Temple may be sealed to other men posthumously. This means that:
4) An exalted man may have other women sealed to him, meaning that although there is no polygamy on Earth, there will be in the CK. Thus,
5) A woman who is sealed, while living, in the Temple, may be only her husband's first wife in the CK.

I think I've got it straight, but would appreciate anybody who can expand, clarify, or correct me on this. I'm Nevermo, but the subject fascinates me. I've found that many street-level Mormons (missionaries, too!) don't really know the finer points of their religion. Anyway, some last questions:

A) Is the procreation of "spirit children" in the CK only done by God/"Heavenly Father"/Elohim? Or will all exalted men in the CK be able to bear spirit children with their wife or wives?
B) How many men who achieve exaltation and make it to the CK will actually become "gods" with their own stars and planets to rule over? Only a very few? More? Most? All of them, eventually?

These are pretty exotic issues, I know, but I am seriously curious.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: May 19, 2013 07:24AM

One detail to add to your list: Back when the LDS Church still openly embraced polygamy, the prophets taught that only polygamists would be allowed to keep their wives after they die. If you only had one wife, she would be taken away from you and given to a more worthy man, i.e. a polygamist.

Date: May 19, 2013 01:31PM

Thanks, mysid.

So you're confirming the numbered points I made? For reasons that are a bit too complicated to explain, it's important to me. I'm never-mo, but having been brought up in another cult, I'm fascinated with cultic teachings, especially those things that are hidden or more obscure.

As I mentioned, I have found that garden-variety members often don't know what their church teaches.

So, am I right on #1-5? I'm especially interested in feedback on #4 and #5.

I recall a gag in an old movie, where a man derisively introduces his spouse, "This is my first wife." If these points are correct, a Mormon man could make that introduction with all theological sincerity!

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: May 19, 2013 02:12PM

(I'm a never-Mo too, I'll allow someone else to answer.)

Posted by: Chucky ( )
Date: May 19, 2013 02:51PM

1) A Mormon man cannot be exalted ("CK") unless he is married. So bachelors are s***out of luck.
1a. A single person can be a servant in the CK but that is all according to what I have read.
2) A woman cannot gain the CK unless she is called through the veil by her husband, using her Temple name.
2a. That is suppose to be true according to what I have read.
3) Women not sealed in the Temple may be sealed to other men posthumously. This means that:
3a. This link discusses your question...
http://www.allaboutmormons.com/Questions/question_sealing_sealed_spouse_form_ENG_148.php

Posted by: Thomas $. Monson ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 10:48AM

> If I understand this "eternal families" thing right:
>
> 1) A Mormon man cannot be exalted ("CK") unless he is married.
> So bachelors are s***out of luck.

Are you guys sure about this?

A branch president doesn't have to be married...
I would be surprised if the leader of a Mormon congregation (in this case an unmarried branch president) died and couldn't be exalted.

Posted by: orange ( )
Date: May 19, 2013 01:32PM

Why would you want your Mormon husband in the afterlife if you have to share him with the billions of other wives he will be "married"? Another conundrum of the illogical afterlife stories of religions.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 19, 2013 04:05PM

Another issue is that if the Mormon husband was abusive in this life, the idea of spending eternity with him doesn't sound like heaven at all.

Date: May 20, 2013 11:20AM

Being the devil's advocate here, adoylelb, I should think that such a sinful husband (1) wouldn't make CK, but get only the Terrestial Kingdom, and maybe the Abyss, which also deprives a wife of CK. So for good or ill, she's dependent upon him. Or, (2) one would think that citizenship in the CK would purge violence from him.

Either way, it's convoluted theology. LDS is, at its core, a "works-based" doctrine: what you DO (Temple work, garment, testimony meetings, obedience to TSCC, etc.) is what really counts. I see orthodox Christianity as faith/grace-based: what counts is the transformation (spiritual re-birth) of one's heart and soul. Good works emmanate from that, and would (or at least, should) manifest itself in wholesome relationships.

I'd appreciate more thoughts on my primary question, which is: Does the posthumous sealing of women = plural marriage in the CK?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.