Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 11:11AM

Was reading T-bone's thread about someone's revelation that he might have prostate cancer (good luck with that, T-bone; get a good urologist) and remembered the time a bishop had a revelation that my wife was pregnant. We had just had twins and they were only a year old. He was very excited for us and told EVERYone we were having a 6th baby! People congratulated us for a couple of weeks, and each time I had to tell them that we weren't actually expecting. They'd always say something like, "But he's the bishop! He had a revelation!" I wanted to say, "And he's a twit!"

Anyway, have you experienced this? Somebody have a revelation for you? I don't mean to hijack T-bone's thread. Is that what I'm doing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 11:25AM

Both threads will probably get equal attention :P hopefully. But that's a little ridiculous...do they honestly think that's going to work? I just wonder what makes them feel so sure of themselves.

Posted by: DonQuijote ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 11:31AM

I had a guy who used to be a friend in the church until this happened. About 2 years ago he called me up one day and asked how my children were. I said fine. He said he had a feeling that something very bad was going to happen to one of them soon. I was shocked that he would say such a thing, and didn't know how to respond. Later on in the week, he called asking the same question. I told him to stop asking they are fine. I decided after that we weren't going to be friends any more. He thought he was super close to the spirit and could see the future.

Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 03:12PM

I'd be pissed too if someone tried telling me something like that. There are places you don't go and that is one of them.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 11:48AM

The consequences of pick-and-choose make-it-up-as-you-go-along religion.

Posted by: raisingspecialneeds ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 11:51AM

My mom had a pretty accurate revelation. When I moved four years ago, she told me that if I moved away, she knew I would go totally inactive and the spirit was telling her to keep me from going.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 12:00PM

I had people make several decisions for me for this very reason, obviously they were only prolonging the inevitable.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 12:38PM

Mormons have "revelations" all the time to get other people to do something they don't really want to do.

Several years ago I was extended a calling that I really did not want. I had already had the calling once before. I hated it the whole time and felt like I was no good at it. The bishopric member who extended the call was pretty insistent that I take it. I told him I'd think about it.

After a few days of thinking, I decided that I wasn't going to do it. He called me to ask what I had decided. Before he asked for my decision, he went on and on about how he felt inspired to tell me that this was where I was supposed to be etc. I felt pressured and I believed him even though I kind of wondered why I hadn't received that inspiration for myself. I took the calling and was miserable for the next three years until I was released.

But, lesson learned. From that experience I discovered that noone else knows more about me than I know about myself.

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 03:29PM

My BIL (wife's sister's husband) told my wife that god told him that she needed to give me an ultimatum.

Either I get active in church again or she was to leave me.

My wife didnt believe it, told me and I called him and let him have a piece of my mind. That was about 2 years ago and we have not spoke since. He is not allowed at my house and he avoids me at all family functions.

I also brought up an Ensign article that says the anyone that has a revalation for someone that they have no stewardship over was in a state of personal apostasy.

I think i can find the article if anyone is interested.

Posted by: almostthere ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 03:39PM

Yes, please! That would be a good one to have on hand.

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 06:03PM

Here is the article

http://www.lds.org/ensign/2009/06/avoiding-personal-apostasy?lang=eng

The section I was referring to is about 3-4 paragraphs from the bottom.

Its a great quote to throw at someone, when the opportunity arises.

Posted by: warrior princess ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 03:45PM

We had this domineering RS president. I was on the home making commitee and brought some ideas to the meeting...nothing out of the ordinary. But how dare I have an idea!!!! She almost leapt across the table. And afterwards told me off all the way to my car for having an idea and mentioning it. She basically told me that she was speaking for God and had power over me as RS president. And all I could think of is "what an idiot!". Really she was just using the idea of God and revelation to be a controlling asshat!!!! To this day I cant imagine why one idea would create such a stir. Except to show that she is a complete nut.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 03:51PM

Back when I was in a relationship with my gay boyfriend--trying to separate myself from him--so he could date others or something. Hell--whatever was going on then. Talk about mind fuck.

I had MANY giving me advice. I was suicidally depressed daily.

My GOOD friend--who I had worked with for years and one of the very few I had confided in about the situation--he told me he had fasted and prayed, knew he wasn't supposed to do this as a bishop, but he knew that if my boyfriend and I married, he wouldn't leave me. When my boyfriend finally asked me to marry him 6 months later, I went to this man and he gave me a blessing with the oil and all--and another leader. Afterwards, he told me that God had given me this opportunity and how would I feel if when I met God, he asked me why I had given up this opportunity to save a soul. I was completely out of my mind. Actually, I even told him I had a feeling he would leave me at age 38--but he dismissed my feelings and told me he would never leave me.

The bishop we had worked with told me "to put my doubts aside--that it would be okay." Then the LDS SS therapist my boyfriend had been going to--told me we could do it.

I find it interesting to note--that the good friend above--I asked him what his wife thought and he said, "She said to be very, very careful."

The ex left me at age 38. This friend kind of "dumped" me at the time. We had been CLOSE for years--he was more like a father figure to me. I only hear from him if I contact him. He even stated to me that I hadn't been giving my ex enough sex and that is why he left.

I did cuss him out a few years ago about the whole issue.

Some of his replies to me after my ex left were "life is a crap shoot"--and when I asked him why I should still go to church, his answer was, "I don't know--I only know it is the right thing to do." In watching some things in the past few years through his fb, I realize the reason he is still mormon is he likes being in the limelight . . .he has many more young female friends who post pictures of him all the time (I'm old now).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2013 03:53PM by cl2.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 03:52PM

Five months before I walked out of the church I was no longer insisting that my boys attend with me. If they felt like getting up and coming to church, okay, but otherwise I left it up to them.

My son would still go HT if his companion called and asked him to.

After I walked out on leave, resigning my calling the EQ would still call my son every month to go HT. My son would dress up and be ready when the EQ came to pick him up.

After three months of this the EQ realized we were probably not going to be attending church anytime in the near future. He told me he couldn't take my son HT anymore because "Name of my son, doesn't have the spirit anymore because he hasn't been going to sacrament meeting."

I kept a straight face and told him okay, that it was probably allright with my son if he didn't go HT anymore.

I so wanted to laugh in his face!

I wanted to ask "Do you have a 'spirit meter'? How does it work? Can it tell how much spirit you have? Does it work in the chapel during sacrament meeting? Can you take it over the audience like a gieger counter and check everyone for their level of the Holy Ghost?"

But I didn't. I knew it would probably hurt his inner being and I don't like it when people mock my beliefs. He wasn't being an a**hat so I wasn't about to poke the bubbles of his belief.

Later I found out he occassionally gets drunk and a few other things.....he really needs to leave the TSCC....there are less expensive churchs out there. He and his wife are brown skinned and haven't figured out the racism yet either. It's because the ward we're in is a bunch of very nice people. He'd sure get his eyes opened if he tried to live in the Morridor though...

Posted by: blindednomore ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 03:57PM

I am actually shocked at some of these, especially the poster's bishop who went around telling people. That is sickening.

My cousin called me over to her house to tell me that God is smiling on her and that she could see Satan's influence in my eyes. She said she just "knew" that I was struggling and that she and the savior could help me. Yeah, because they are an inside team.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 04:12PM

They've said I should have quit my job many years before I retired and that I would never have health problems if I'd return to church and repend of being an apostate.

My mom once claimed I'd be filled with the HG if I'd read a few particular verses in the Book of Mormon and she once said the same if I'd attend one mormon Sunday service.

She and my sister are crazy though, so I don't take their bad advice. I have many time more blessings of every kind than than both of them put together. They actually live very sad dreary lives filled with penny pinching and worry.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 04:14PM

I have a couple kids, and when each one was born, people would come out of the woodwork saying they "knew" which gender the child would be. I'd bet there were an equal number who were wrong, but subsequently dismissed it and failed to consider it as a sample.

Posted by: tilliegilman ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 05:12PM

An adult convert was seriously stalking me when I was a teen. One of his many acts of insanity was to tell me that he had a vision that we were supposed to get married. He said because he had the priesthood I had no right to deny the "truth" of his vision. Needless to say, I did not marry that nutcase!

Posted by: destiny ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 06:53PM

...the "revelations" I had on my own behalf. How stupid that when you're a mormon, anything you feel good about is a revelation. Like no one else in the whole world has things they feel good about or don't feel good about. It's called intuition. And mormons have no corner on the market when it comes to it.

I pray and say, "dear God, tell me if I should marry this jerkoff RM so that I don't turn into an old maid of 20 and so that I can fulfill the measure of my creation."

First no feeling, "hummm, must mean God won't give me an answer."

Then I think and think and pray some more and think about what it will be like, how good it will feel to work on that multiplying and replenishing the Earth, and then a few tingles, some goosebumps, some rumbling in the loins and in the sinews and voila, REVELATION! It feels good. It's a sign from God.

Hasa Diga Eebowai!

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 10:18PM

Revelation for others is totally non-doctrinal at best and predatory at worst.

Over the years, I noticed that people who had "revelations" for others tended to prey on the vulnerable and to pass off ill-gotten information (e.g., ward and high council gossip) as The Word of the Lord. I also noticed that people who did this regularly seemed to be batshit crazy.

Posted by: ikandee ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 11:09PM

My uncle in law called me at work to tell me he'd been inspired that I should get my endowments. I was 25 years old and he'd just married my aunt about six months before the phone call. So weird, he called my work. We were not especially close, they lived more than 2 hours away. I'd only ever met him twice before his "revelation". Eeww.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 11:49PM

some are crazy nutjob religious zealots, others may be true psychics, we'll never know. My suggestion is that you just decide what is true and not true for yourself and don't listen to anyone else. There's not much more you can really do in this situation.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 22, 2013 11:30AM

I'm happy to report: NONE~! :-) I've heard plenty in the past!
Generally a "true psychic", wouldn't share their sense of what might be going on unless asked. I would hope, anyhow!

It's not uncommon in Mormonism to share dreams on some level.
It's acceptable in most cases.

People in general have lost the ability to understand the word: propriety though! Mormonism has it's own set of acceptable boundaries, which in the main, are very loose.

If what someone tells you doesn't seem correct, it's wise to ignore it as it's not about you.

Posted by: ness ( )
Date: May 22, 2013 12:00PM

My tbm sister had a "revelation" that I shouldn't marry my fiancee. ;) Even though I told her I had recieved my own "revelation" (I was tbm at the time) that I should marry him, she tried every thing she could to try and stop the marriage.

Funny how many "revelations" always coincide with personal opinion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.