Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pericles ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 01:39PM

My wife and I told our two children that we don't believe the church. My 12 year old son was quite upset. We shared some of what we have learned and he didn't want to hear it. Later I talked with him about investigating things together. He got quite excited about that. I said, "We will look at the evidence, and wherever the truth points, we will go that way."
His response, "I will follow the truth. But if the truth points away from it, I'll still follow the church."

I know that this is a big shock to him and that eventually he will come around, but what suprised me was the depth and intensity of his "programming" for lack of a better word. I watched as my very bright son felt he needed to abandon truth for the church. Of all the changes that have happened in my life since learning the truth, this one has been the hardest.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pewsitter ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 01:57PM

On of my sons was a deacon when we told the children we no longer believed the lies. He cried and cried about his beliefs no longer being true. Today he is a well adjusted adult. It was my fault they were taught such rubbish but I am proud that I have saved all of my children and grandchildren from a life of misery following the lies.

Date: May 21, 2013 02:08PM

Thank you for that response. That is really nice to hear. I look forward to when we can all sit around and talk about how lucky we are to get out.

Posted by: Chucky ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 02:00PM

Just curious, have you went over the NT disciples with him? Did you tell him God recruited a murderer as a disciple after his death? Did you tell him one apostle was a lover of money and not a lover of the word of God? Did you explain this apostle thought money was greater than another's life? Did you explain when Jesus was arrested the lead apostle tried to murder a man doing his job as a soldier? Did you tell him the same disciple lied to save his skin like any good coward? Did you tell him that after Jesus's arrest that all the apostles and disciples ran and hid like cowards to save themselves from arrest and or death? Did you tell him the lead apostle lied about his testimony of God to save his skin from death? Did you tell him after jesus's death the apostles/disciples lost faith in all the teachings Jesus taught them about his resurrection? That they disbelieved it? Did you tell him how they were offended to hear from a female she had seen and spoken to Jesus and they literally called her a liar? Did you tell him they had no faith in Jesus's resurrection, that they would only believe if they had "proof"?
You did say you are sharing the fallacies/lies of the Mormon church with your son to help him see the truth. Are you sharing the same information about the NT disciples?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2013 02:01PM by chucky.

Date: May 21, 2013 02:11PM

I figure that if my son still believes in Christianity after learning the truth about Mormonism, then I can show him all sorts of things in the Bible that scare me, anger me, and make me laugh.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 02:13PM

That's the sad part of the church; of all the hundreds of mormons I know, the vast majority are really cool, nice, trustworthy people, but they don't know they follow a false doctrine.

If I had to choose between a false system that makes people happy in spite of their ignorance of its origins, or no system but stumbling through life with a bit of uncertainty and trying to use kindness and simple common sense, I'll take the latter....

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 02:15PM

And that's the funny part...it doesn't even make people that happy.

Date: May 21, 2013 04:35PM

+1!

Posted by: freebird ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 02:32PM

This is very eye opening to me. I'm struggling to get my husband 100% out of the church. Our son will be 8 next month and I had to tell him I don't want him baptized. During Easter my son didn't know who the man that died on the cross and rose again 3 days later was. I then asked him who was the man that went into the woods and saw God and Jesus? He immediately replied, Joseph Smith. That upset me and showed me the extent of what he's learning in Primary. They worship JS, not Jesus. Now I'm not a Christian really either...I don't know what I believe, but the Mormons claim they're Christian and worship Jesus...no they don't.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 07:13PM

One Sunday, I said to my kids, "I'm going water skiing today with John and Mary instead of church. Who's with me?" They looked at me with disbelief at first... they had that "really?" look. They never looked back. Ever since then, we've been enjoying Sundays and life without mormonism. (They were in Jr/Sr High school at the time.)

Posted by: NNT ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 08:08PM

Oh I hope the best for you and your family. Having the rug pulled out from under them like this must have been a total shocker! I was 21 when I had my first 'aha' moment with the church and it shook me for a couple of days.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.