Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: orange ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 08:08PM

It seems to me, that the TSCC could eventually go the way of the RLDS. The RLDS eventually lost membership which was resulting in bankruptcy, so they merged with the church of Christ. If the TSCC eventually has to own up to the false history of the BoM, BoA and Joseph Smith...do they also keep tithing its members? Would they have to return tithing funds to members? Will they merge with another church and try to keep things going, but with only using the Bible?

Who do you think they will merge with if they do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 08:21PM

RLDS didn't merge with CoC. They became the Community of Christ (not Church of Christ) as part of a board decision and, in some sense, a repudiation of the hardline stance taken by some of the older members.

There are a few former RLDS folks who can probably explain it better than I can, but it certainly wasn't a merger.

Posted by: exrldsgirl ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 08:35PM

Right, they changed their name to Community of Christ. They did not merge with any other church. They still hold all legal rights to the name Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, so the offshoots who did not like the changes are not able to use that name.

My parents are still in that church, and they recently told me that the church has put out some book that basically says, "hey you know all that stuff about Joseph Smith Jr that we denied all those years? Well guess what, it was true."

They still use the Book of Mormon, but do not require members to believe in it. They have really backed off on the whole "one true church" idea too.

Their church is becoming more and more liberal, especially more gay-friendly. And this is upsetting to some of the older, more conservative folks. They are performing same-sex unions in church, even in states where there is not yet legal same-sex marriage.

Posted by: orange ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 08:50PM

I heard they changed the name to get money from the mainline a mainline protestant organization to stay alive and out of bankruptcy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2013 08:52PM by orange.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: May 21, 2013 08:54PM

to me because I already rejected the POS BOM, the POS BOA and paying dues / extortion money to LDS Inc.

I also excomm-ed Gordon "BS" Hinckley as being any kind of prophet or inspirational figure in my personal life and belief system.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2013 08:56PM by lucky.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: May 22, 2013 01:21AM

How will they be able to extort tithing money from its members if they dump their foundational claims and credibility of an inspired organization?

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: May 22, 2013 11:49AM

I don't see how they can dump the BOM. BOA maybe, but there's been so much browbeating about the "keystone of our religion/ and "most correct book". How do you go back on that?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.