Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: May 23, 2013 03:21PM

So we're supposed to believe that Joseph Smith translated the plates behind a blanket that was nailed to the wall so that the scribe couldn't see the plates (actually we now understand that no plates were used anyway as it was just a stone in a hat).....

But even if you give benefit to the idea of actual plates being used in the translation process, what sensible reason has ever been given by leaders/apologists for why the scribe couldn't see the plates?

These were supposedly the same plates that had been handed down for centuries by numerous individuals (including some wicked BoM leaders), compiled/edited by Mormon and buried in the ground for over 1400 years.

Really, they were sooooo sacred that only JS could see them? This just doesn't make any sense whatsoever when you consider how they were passed from pillar to post previously. Clearly it was all make believe anyway, but as a TBM what were you told was the reason for the blanket?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: May 23, 2013 03:27PM

Whoa! Not sure where you are getting this insane notion of blankets and hats.

Here is how it was done. The church said so.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1LnvHcnaRfE/URvGN4dWutI/AAAAAAAAAuo/5btfxILOVpA/s1600/parson-translation_HR.jpg

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: May 23, 2013 03:43PM

I was taught that Joseph Smith was told by God to keep the plates to himself, apparently because accepting the existence of the plates without seeing them was supposed to be a mark of the believer's great faith. I think I discounted (or never bothered to think about) the story of God warning people of being struck dead if they saw them. Then as a reward for their tremendous faith, the Three Witnesses and Eight Witnesses were privileged to meet an angel and see and handle the plates, then sign a statement Declaration-of-Independence-style verifying actually seeing an angel.

Now with the benefit of Occam's Razor, it's so blatantly obvious why stories developed about blankets: 1) the face in the hat, and 2) Nobody ever saw any plates. Furthermore, I am kicking myself over the existence of the papyri, which also contained sacred scripture revealed in modern times, which people were allowed to see and examine, but not the precious gold plates. I am never going to stop feeling foolish about my Mormon upbringing. Not ever.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 23, 2013 03:47PM

Excuse me, but why wasn't the apostle Thomas struck dead when he demanded to see the wounds of CHrist AND PLACE HIS HANDS IN THEM?

Where is that God who is no respecter of persons and who treats everyone the same?

Except of course for his Chosen People and the ones he has them murder.

Anagrammy

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: May 23, 2013 06:00PM

No, "doubting" Thomas was not struck dead when he demanded to
see the wounds. What happened according to the New Testament
is that Jesus showed up and let Thomas see and feel his wounds.

Then, according to the Book of Mormon, the resurrected Jesus
showed up in the New World with his wounds still there (I
thought you were supposed to be resurrected with a perfect
body--all wounds etc. healed--hey but don't expect consistency
from a prophet) and a gazillion people all lined up and saw
and felt his wounds.

When JS had a REAL ancient document, the "Book of Abraham"
papyri, he put them in display in a little museum and charged
people 25 cents to see them along with the mummies.

The only thing I can think of is that JS thought if someone
were able to carefully scrutinize the plates, they might not
believe that they were really ancient plates but more like
plates of tin that would be easily made in any blacksmith shop
of that time and place.

The fact that we have no details of under what circumstances
the plates were shown to the "eight witnesses" makes me
wonder, was JS passing off a crudely made set of tin plates as
the "golden plates?" Otherwise, had he had REAL ancient
plates and wanted the world to know it he'd have invited a
committee of hard-boiled city people and scholars rather than
a few of his own followers hand-picked by himself personally
and shown to them under circumstances of his choosing.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: May 23, 2013 03:59PM

Yes, surely the way that JS treated the BoA papyri completely undermines the whole plates being hidden BS. This was supposedly ancient scripture penned by the prophet Abraham no less, yet anyone could pay to see these in the exhibition.

Hmmmm it's almost as if the gold plates never actually existed but the actual papyri clearly did ;)

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: May 23, 2013 04:19PM

Maybe God didn't take the papyri back because they couldn't be melted down?

Furthermore, the idea that bad men wanted the plates to get gain is ridiculous, because what do people normally do when they find an ancient curiosity? Wouldn't they want learned people to see it and try to find out what it is? Like carting a mummy with papyri around instead of just selling it off?

The God of Mormonism is such an angry weakling. He can't guide any learned men of Upstate New York to the gold plates and translate them, knowing that the Rosetta Stone has been found, but he can STRIKE A MAN DEAD if he looks at them. The Supreme Asshole of the Universe.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 23, 2013 03:43PM

One of the basic premises of religion is that people in the past were much more righteous than the evil, corrupt people of the present. (Regardless of when the past and present are.) That's why religion tries to get people in the present to act like people in the past.

So, naturally, the ancient writers and keepers of the BoM were righteous enough to see and handle the plates, but only JS (and the witnesses) were righteous enough to see them in their day, and why no one gets to see them now.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: May 23, 2013 03:51PM

Since Joe just had a stack of tin or something similar, he had to invent the ruse that "no one but him could see the plates and live." This only added to the excitement and mystery among these unschooled naifs.

Posted by: sha'dynasty ( )
Date: May 23, 2013 03:58PM

Because this would have happened if the plates had been uncovered, and nobody wants that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m83JcNoNQ-4

Posted by: Cynthia ( )
Date: May 23, 2013 04:11PM

I was taught that there was a curtain of some type between JS and his scribe. No one was to view the plates except JS and the few chosen witnesses. A clever ruse to disguise the fact the plates didn't exist. So did the church come up with this story or did JS come up with this story? I don't think I have heard the back story to how that story came into existence. The newest fake picture shows JS translating from a stack of golden plates to the scribe without any curtain between, big surprise. Oh the web we weave....

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: May 23, 2013 04:45PM

I think he put up a curtain so nobody could see what he was reading out of. I think he had several things that he was reading. Some of it could have been things that he had pre written. I think his mother could have also had some things written for him to add to his book. I think Emma was in on the whole scam. Briggy not only stole money from her, but stole her and Joseph's scam. He basically took away her ability to keep making money off of it. She was hoping her sons could keep it a family business.

That way he didn't have to memorize all of it. He told a story that made anyone afraid to try and look. He was a good con man. That's about the best I can say about him.

Posted by: order66 ( )
Date: May 23, 2013 05:13PM

Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: May 23, 2013 05:20PM

I could have sworn it was something to the effect that the spiritual energy was so strong only JS could handle it. Kinda Like the story of Moses when he came down from siani and was so radiant he had to wear a viel. lol Any who. Going from Urium & Th. to rock and a hat , the blanket deal sounds the least out rageous.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.