Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ragnarok ( )
Date: May 23, 2013 06:55PM

I'm a single male, live alone, and have been inactive for about 20 years. I get the occasional visit from HTs or (male) missionaries about once or twice a year. I politely tell them I don't want any contact from the church and they honor that until a new set of missionaries come to the area or until I get assigned new HTs. (Either the no contact request doesn't get passed along or they just blatantly ignore it. Since it isn't too hard to get them to leave, I haven't pursued the issue).

Anyway, the other day I was surprised to get a visit from a pair of female missionaries. I had no idea the church started sending out female missionaries to the homes of any members (active or inactive). They looked to be just out of high school so they may have been among the first to take advantage of the lower age limit for women. They were nice but very chatty. (It took twice as long to get rid of them compared to their male counterparts.) I'm not sure if this is part of a change in strategy for the church or if they just have to find something for the influx of new missionaries to do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 23, 2013 08:42PM

On my mission, I was transferred into an area where the previous companionship was teaching a twenty-something drug addict. My senior comp wanted to keep teaching him but because it was against the rules for sisters to teach single men, she would lie and tell the MP we were teaching the mother too. The truth is, the mom usually said hello to us and then disappeared while we stayed alone with this guy. Finally, we just gave up - he wasn't really interested and was usually wasted when we showed up. But we needed him for our stats so we dragged it out.

My point is, the sisters who visited you could have been breaking the rules to fulfill their "working with inactives" hours, out of desperation. Or maybe they've changed the rules. But it makes sense what you said - it's sometimes harder for people to be rude to sweet, young women than arrogant, squeaky-clean young men. That buys more door time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2013 08:42PM by CA girl.

Posted by: richardthebad (not logged in) ( )
Date: May 23, 2013 08:51PM

I've had it happen. If they are too pushy I just ask them if they want to f#ck. But then, I do that with male missionaries too. It's generally effective.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 23, 2013 11:53PM

Wait, the church may be sending nineteen year old girls over to my house? How did they ever discover my weakness?

If they're okay with me staring at them like a creepy old dude, I am okay with them coming in for a little talk.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: May 24, 2013 04:34AM

Sending pretty young girls to a 20-something's home? Hubba, hubba. Maybe they think that will get you back. It's totally going to work, isn't it? :)

Edit -- Oops, you're not 20. It's still going to work, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2013 04:35AM by omreven.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: May 24, 2013 09:32AM

and the last set of missionaries that popped by my place were sisters. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be allowed to come in... so they did their chatting and message on the porch. Seemed like standard-operating procedure for them. They even wanted to have a prayer there. It was kind of awkward, but, whatever.

Also, access to my place is somewhat secluded and remote. Had I moved away, and depending on who moved in, these girls could have been in a world of trouble. I worry about their safety, too. Does the church plan on having them doing the same proselyting activities that the boys do?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.