Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 03:24PM

I found myself living under the naïve delusion that during the time my mom was in Washington, our family would be left to recover from the events that had transpired over the past weeks, months and years. You would think by this time, I wouldn’t allow myself to be lulled into this false sense of security about my life. Part of me thinks it was some kind of internal survival instinct; that I had to believe something good was going to come out of all this.

Not much time passed, two or three days maybe, after my mom left for Spokane, and there was still that nagging energy in the air, sort of like those days you have when you wake up and and you’re absolutely positive there’s something wrong. No matter what you do you can never quite put your finger on it? That energy hung around in the air for days. I tried my best to ignore it, but my intuition or whatever you want to call it kicked in and I went to my dad, who had spent most of the last few days in bed, still recuperating from his surgery- something he hadn’t had the opportunity to do much since he was discharged from the hospital. My dad and I spoke for quite awhile about everything that had gone on. After a few minutes, I asked him point blank what was going to happen now. He told me the bishop had met with him, and as a ward service project, a few people were going to come in and help clean our house.

As I mentioned earlier, the house had been neglected for quite some time. It needed to be deep cleaned. To be honest, I was actually looking forward to having a clean house. It had been quite awhile since we’d had that luxury. If I had known what was really about to happen, I would have been down on my knees 24 hours a day with a toothbrush, cleaning the entire house by myself. I would have gladly accepted bruises on my knees and muscles so sore I wouldn’t be able to move, and the cramped hands and the smell of bleach that would never quite come off my skin no matter how many showers I took. I would have even gladly cleaned the house with my tongue.

It began innocently enough. Four or five members of the relief society showed up at our door armed with cleaning products and buckets, and genuinely kind smiles on their faces. These women I truly don’t place any blame on for what happened. The women with the cleaning arsenal were the closest people to friends that my mom had. They began in the kitchen, and really CLEANED. Things were pulled out of the kitchen cupboards and the insides of the cupboards were washed. The kitchen was really getting CLEAN. It started smelling really good, and I actually began to look forward to coming home.

But then, more people started showing up to ‘help’. It had been decided by the bishop that in order to pay the bill for my mom’s rehabilitation, a yard sale needed to be put together with any excess things in the house that would fetch a price. Then the real fun began. The house was swarming with people, everyone from the entire Elders Quorum, and the entire Relief Society. Kids, teenagers, practically the entire ward began to descend on our house.

Rooms began to be torn apart. Every closet was opened and emptied. Every box, every container, every drawer was pillaged. Family heirlooms were taken. Our entire lives, beginning to end, were laid bare for the entire ward to see. These people were quite literally airing our dirty laundry out all over the neighborhood. I remember one day, coming home from being someplace, and found three men from the Elders Quorum in my bedroom, going through my closet and the drawers of my bureau. I. Freaked. Out. I began screaming and yelling at them to get the fuck out of my room. I literally pushed them out the door, then moved my bureau in front of it and barricaded myself in. I had finally reached my boiling point. I felt something in my brain snap and I began tearing apart my bedroom. I had never felt that kind of rage before. I had never let something take over my body that way. All the pain, humiliation, coercion, manipulation all came flooding back, hitting me like a huge wave crashing into a rock on the shore. So this was what it felt like to be crazy.

In reality, I know it’s kind of silly to be so protective of STUFF. Physical things. Possessions. Some of which to this day I have no idea why I would want to keep. But it wasn’t just stuff in my mind at that time. These were things that had been a part of my life. Evidence of the past. Proof that certain events had really taken place.

And it wasn’t just the stuff. It was the feeling of violation, of losing every shred of privacy our family ever had. Of feeling like this was something all these people in our ward had just been waiting on for years, the chance to dig in and get to the fleshy center of our family. To figure out What We Were All About. To uncover every dirty little secret and expose it. Then, they might Finally Understand Us.

The pillaging continued for weeks. More than a few of the ladies from the Relief Society, a majority of the women that had first come in and began to clean, began to be completely disgusted with what was going on. They saw people pocketing things they found that they wanted to keep. They saw people picking and choosing things that would be in the Yard Sale, but deftly hidden away and priced so low so they themselves could get their hands on it.

The aforementioned women stopped coming to the house. They couldn’t take it anymore than I could. Down to the deepest parts of my soul, I know this small group of women genuinely cared for my mom and our entire family, and believed what they were doing was the right thing. For that, I will always hold a special place in my heart for them. Particularly for a woman I’ll call Debbie, who grabbed the jewelry box full of my Tutu’s jewelry, some of which was priceless, and kept it at her house until my mom’s return. She didn’t want The Mob stealing or selling it. Thank you, Debbie.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 03:54PM

I have been mostly lurking while reading your story, with my jaw just hanging open in horror, but, man, that is so low, I just had to respond. You had every right to be angry. It was a vioation of your privacy down to its utmost inner core, even if it was only just Stuff.

Posted by: raven ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 03:58PM

The actions of these people were despicable beyond words. This was not about things but about YOUR THINGS. About your family history and about control over your life. I hope they all go to hell.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 10:14PM

I hope they are all in hell as we speak. With the damn bishop being president satanluciferdevil with nothing but a pair of underwear to wear. What a truly evil man.

Your family was treated worse than yesterdays garbage. How any human being could come into someones home and do what these people did is mind boggling.

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 04:00PM

This is soooo difficult to read, but so necessary. I hope all these despicable people rot in hell, as raven has just suggested. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 04:18PM

I'm trying to find words. I don't even think it comes down to the possession so much as the violation. It really is like an emotional rape of some type.

I felt that way when I was going through the save your boyfriend/husband process. My life was laid bare and I had done nothing. There are many reasons I married my ex and one was to get the church leaders out of OUR BUSINESS. We had to be able to figure it out on ourselves alone.

The intrusiveness that mormons believe they have a right to is beyond belief. AND yet so many people just keep going back for more. I felt my privacy was very much invaded when my daughter went back to church and was best friends with the bishop's family. She even hyphenated her name with their's.

THIS INTRUSIVENESS--THIS COMPLETE LACK OF BOUNDARIES is the WORST THING THEY DO and it encompasses all the other abuse they perpetrate.

It just makes me sick. I am so sorry!

The one thing I told my ex after sending in my resignation and then getting their pamphlet--I told him, "They think they OWN ME." He said, "EXACTLY." I am SO GLAD now that I sent that resignation in.

THEY HAD THE AUDACITY TO THINK THEY OWNED YOUR FAMILY!

I wish I had known your mother.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2011 04:19PM by cl2.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 04:19PM

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 06:52PM

Exactly my reaction - except I added J.H.C. at the end! Tap Dancing C? that's a new one for me :-)

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 05:24PM

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable. I find it hard to believe such greed and evil actually exist. I hope the people involved have not had a moment's rest since they did this. Evil, evil, evil...

GLA, you have my utmost respect for surviving this and remaining the vibrant, caring, amazing person you are.

:)

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 06:22PM

Enjoying your story very much.

I had a similar experience to this chapter... my mom died and my dad married a bitch woman just months later. They were advised to buy a new house together, and the ward came over to help move. I was away at college, and came home to gather my own personal belongings, but by the time I got there everything was gone. My dad had told ward members they could have anything out of my room they wanted, and they stole almost all of my personal belongings, from expensive ties and shoes to toys I had been savings for years and hoped to give to my own children someday.

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 06:54PM

I lost everything I owned when our apt bldg (and the rest of the block) burned down when I was 16. I was devastated! This is worse - having your dad just give away your stuff w/o letting you decide what you wanted to keep?!

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 08:25PM

janebond462 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I lost everything I owned when our apt bldg (and
> the rest of the block) burned down when I was 16.
> I was devastated! This is worse - having your dad
> just give away your stuff w/o letting you decide
> what you wanted to keep?!

Yeah, pissed me off really bad. Not to mention his new wife was a bitch who treated us terribly and was uber TBM.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 10:24PM

I had the same thing happen to me. I left home at 20 to get married. I had very neatly placed all my lifetime collection of dolls on the top shelf of my closet. I was passionate about them and there were about 30 of them,all different kinds. I LOVED my dolls more than anything in the world. Also I had folders with special schoolwork I had done from K-12th grade.My step-mom knew how I felt about my dolls. I came home a year later and ran in to check my dolls. (I know this might sound silly,but I grew up in a very disfunctional home and these dolls were everything to me. They were my best friends.) When I opened my closet door I was shocked to see they were gone. Dear old step-mom was right there with a big grin. I asked what the hell had happened to MY dolls and she said,oh I didn't think you wanted them so I gave them all away. And she trashed all my school work. I think about my dolls often and how my own 7 daughters would have loved them.

Posted by: dapperdan ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 07:11PM

It's really too bad there is not a hell for those fuck faces to rot in.

Posted by: Shiner Bock ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 08:00PM

Jeeesus Fuck!!! I always knew that Mormons had no sense of BOUNDARIES but I never thought they would form a mob and go after people in a weakened condition!

My family had something like this happen to my grandfathers stuff after my step grandmother died. Her family went in and took all of his stuff. Most of it was suppose to go to my uncle and we wanted his WWI pictures. They loaded it up, left town and we never saw them again.

Thieves will be thieves I guess.

Posted by: roflmao ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 09:25AM

I have seen this many times.

Morg approved pillaging.

GLA thanks for taking time to relate your experience in such clear and detailed writing. You've become a good friend to me, in my mind, isn't that something interesting?

Like my favorite books, I hate to reach the end, even if the story is sad or dramatic in places, I want to experience more.

You certainly have a great book here, in my opinion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.