Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tombs1 ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 06:58PM

Looking back, I had a really messed up view about something even if I couldn't see it or admited it to myself.
When I joined Mormonism at age 18, my ambition was to one day hold the rank of High Priest. It seemed like those who were older (in their forties or fifties) and not yet high priests had less prestige than those who were. After all if you are a high priest it means that you have been a bishop, high councelor, in a bishopric, ect and must have some leadership skills and be special right?
Even though they always taught us that High Priests and Elders are both equal with a "High Priest holding some of the keys"? It seemed that being a High Priest had more prestiege.
I know I would not have liked being in my late forties and still being an Elder, but I got out of the Morg when I was in my early twenties.
Am I right about this that being a High Priest is more prestigous than being an Elder? And to all of you High Priests out there, I would like to know how it feels?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Unconventional Ideas ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 07:16PM

Yes, it is infinitely more prestigious. I was passed over because I was only a carpet cleaner. You had to be a dentist, doctor or lawyer in order to be tapped as a high priest in your late 20s or early 30s.

It didn't matter that I had had leadership experience as a military officer, in the Mormon Church rank is based on how much money you have, your family connections, and the prestige of your career.

It's that simple really.

Posted by: Archie de Bunker ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 07:18PM

If a lowly Deacon wields more power in his little pinkie than all the kings and presidents on Earth, just imagine all the awesome exponentially-greater Penishood Powers a High Priest can call down out of the firmament.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 09:10PM

At one point, only members of the bishopric and higher were made HPs. So, if you were a HP and not in a high called, then that meant you have previously been in a high calling.

Some years back, the church changed its policy to be that at about age 45-50 a man was made a HP in any case. That way, he went to PH with men his age.

So, today, if you are an HP at a younger age, then that means you had a high calling.

So, less prestige than at one point.

Posted by: Moira (NotLoggedIn) ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 09:39PM

I know someone who professes to be TBM but hasn't made the effort to become a High Priest. This lets him fly under the radar, I think.

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 09:45PM

I was put on a high council at 26 and made a high priest. I thought I was hot shit. Of course, I was a lawyer, so...

Posted by: experienceheals ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 09:57PM

I never gave a shit about any position anyone held. I stood up to anyone in any high priest, bishop, stake president position. I made sure I let them know what i thought after being involved for several years and figured out the overall mentality level. My father inlaw was bishop and stake president of his ward for quite a while. He's mostly a decent guy, but still can be a bit of a jack ass sometimes with the superior attitude.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2011 09:59PM by experienceheals.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 10:12PM

Hey, we high priests are hot stuff. We get to be bishops, bishopric counselors, high council members, etc. Best of all is that we get to hear aaaaalll the hot gossip in PEC meetings and such, and if you're on the high council it's especially good because you get to see people squirm in church courts and know about all they did.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 10:26PM

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 11:12PM

Not anymore. I think they just make any reasonably active middle age priesthood holder a high priest. My dad was made one and he wasn't exactly a Peter Priesthood. He was active and fulfilled his callings, but I don't think he knew an ounce of doctrine or had ever cracked open his scriptures before.

Posted by: experienceheals ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 11:25PM

Haha! They must be getting desperate!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 22, 2011 11:51PM

They used to be Seventies but they don't have those locally anymore.
Over 50? You get to be a High Priest.
Elder's Quorums are often too big anyhow.

Posted by: Seneca ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 02:59AM

I was called to a bishopric when I was 24...at the time I was a full time student and working as a baker 50 hours a week. I was (and still am) lazy when it comes to church callings and I know very little about the church (history or doctrine)...but my wife is hot so I think that is what got me in.

Posted by: freedomissweet ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 06:38AM

Or even more to the point - did the wives of those called to be a HP think it was prestigous.

I know of a couple of cases where the wife literally went round with 'nose in the air' attitude because she felt that her husband (so that meant her too) was more important.

And I found that those that were HP's were the ones who used to say such things as 'I don't care what calling I have, even a Primary teacher is important', but they were never primary teachers.

It definately is a status thing in the morg. And of course money talks.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 07:17AM

I was made a High Priest because I was called to be a counselor in the bishopric. It did not require any training or prep work. In fact when I was being set apart, and hands alreay being put on my head, someone mentioned to the Stake Prez that I was not a HP, so with no further ado he ordained me a HighPriest and then proceeded to set me apart.

My dad was about 60 when someone realized that he wasn't a High Priest and that he was way older than anyone in his Elders Quorum, so with nothing more than a brief formality he was advanced to the office of HP. Said he, "I don't feel very high".

Oftentimes, I had wished I was able to go back to being an Elder because first, I never felt I was properly ordained, and secondly, being a HP was far less meaningful.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 07:41AM

My dad was held back for years for being desabled. He hasnt been able to hold down a job for years because he just cant sit down' stand up or lift anthing heavy for long enough. By Mormons own teaches even if not the culture my father should have had the rank much sooner due to the constant pain he's in but no...

Posted by: Mr Levite ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 09:45AM

an offspring of filthy self-rightous arrogant rich lawers
down the line, everyone of them made bishop/stake president
high priest even, just prior to when I blew the whistle about
racism that had my wife deported to her country, it was
swept under the carpet, because the son lawer of the father
lawer was just about to be called as stake president and
out of context he just removed me from church, terminated
me for telling him my story what my wife and I had been through. I later found out he also wanted biopola depression
sufferers that related to mental illness out of his ward and
stake. The cripple were welcomed but not anyone found mentally
ill. Discriminating son of a ?

This happened in Perth Western australia Dianella stake.
5 years into future still no repliey to mail sent and
now convinced that mormonism is a self-rightous power
hungury spam.

LEVITE.

Posted by: NoToJoe ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 10:31AM

Doesn't the term "high priest" just make you think CULT CULT CULT.

Oh right, white robes, green aprons, and bakers hats....with fancy booties and hand shakes....and cross hairs on the gays. Yup...CULT CULT CULT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2011 10:32AM by NoToJoe.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.