Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 05:30AM

according to yesterday's Daily Express here in the UK.

Wow! That will be something amazing to see. We will have twin suns in our sky and be privileged to witness an amazing galactic event if we're lucky.

Apparently, there is no danger to earth we are told....

But....

Will TBMs be circling wagons and rushing to Missouri?

Will other groups be prophesying of doom on the basis of a Mayan calander?

This could be interesting, if it happens.

Briggy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 09:39AM

Here's a depiction of what it might look like when it explodes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Betelgeuse_supernova.png

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 09:52AM

Some astronomer got drunk with some journalist and they wound up engaged in a loud and lively conversation...

So the next day the journalist needed a story, and he decided to tie the Betelgeuse stuff into the 2012 prophecy...

Journalists and scientists are a potent cocktail...

Date: January 23, 2011 10:10AM

ah - memories.

Briggy

Posted by: Archie de Bunker ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 11:15AM

...did anything happen?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 12:19PM

Enquiring minds like mine want to know.

Posted by: nve ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 02:29PM

I always wonder what the physicists are going on about when they say that if you could travel at the speed of light you would be able to get anywhere in no time but the universe around you would age dramatically?

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 12:54PM

The faster you go, time "slows" for you. That's not quite the best or most accurate description, but it's good enough for a 15 second explanation.

photons are considered "zero time particles" because they travel at the speed of light. Relative to everything else, time doesn't affect them. However, the rest of us moving relatively slowly time moves for us.

So if you were in a space ship going super fast, you would age slower than people on earth that were not moving as fast as you would.

The faster you go, the slower you age--relative to the people on earth.

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 02:29PM

You would have to be the stupidest person on the planet to fall for the "Nibiru / Planet X" or "2 suns" line of crap.

1-- They say it happens every 3600 years, but if it did, our ancestors would not have survived it, and we wouldn't be here. Furthermore, if it did happen so regularly, we would see its gravitational and environmental affect on all the other planets in our solar system-- and we don't.

2-- Calling an already-identified planet "Planet X" is an oxymoron. Once a planet has been named, it is no longer called "Planed X".

3-- If another sun were traveling toward us and were due to pass by us in a year or two, it would be the brightest thing in the night sky today, besides the moon. You wouldn't even need a telescope to spot it.

4-- There are tons of FAKE pictures floating all over the internet, of "Nibiru" next to the sun. They claim you can't see it at night because its "hiding behind the sun". Problem is, they have been claiming that for 2 years!!! For crying out loud, it can't be hiding behind the sun all year long! We make a complete circle around the sun in only one year. So just in less that 6 months, we would be moved over to a spot where we could see it at night. PULEEEEEAASSEEE.

5-- Others claim we can't see it because its due south of the earth... Even if it were, it would still be visible by the entire southern hemisphere. Hate to burst their bubble... And in that case, it contradicts the "hiding behind the sun" claim, which indicates that the doomsayers don't know weather they are coming or going.

6-- When the film "2012" was released, the advertisement would point you to Google search 2012. And surprise, surprise! Guess what was the FIRST site to pop up when you did that?? The "official" 2012 website--- Which consequently is OWNED by Sony entertainment. Heck, I can do that with a website!! just create a Google Adwords account, and pay the fee to be bumped up to the first Google search page. Doesnt' mean its a good resource, or even popular. It just means they paid to get it put on the first page, at the top of the list. And the "scientists" making claims on the website are merely actors from the film. Give me a break. It stinks to high heaven of a hoax.

7-- The Mayan calender DOES NOT END in 2012. That's the wrong interpretation of it. It simply starts over again. You know.... Like ours does every December? Only theirs is just a bit longer, to say the very least. There are other cultural calendars that are longer than ours as well, but I don't see us crying "end of the world!" every time one of them renews. Its called movie propaganda, people.

8-- Everyone is talking about the "alignment" in December 2012... Um... So what?? That happens every December.

9-- The only thing that will ACTUALLY happen in 2012, is the solar storm, when the sun reaches the peak of its cycle. That might knock the power out, if its freakishly strong. If not, we just see pretty colors in the sky in a few areas, since the "northern lights" will be seen a bit lower. It was strong enough to out the power for a bit in the 1950's. But so what? That happens every 11 years. I remember the last one, I was living in the farthest northern region of California. I saw the lights, and I thought it was rather lovely.

People need to chill out and find something else to focus on, lol.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2011 02:35PM by melissa3839.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 01:33AM

Betelguese is 640 light years away. If it lights up the night sky it happen 640 years ago. So it's old news.

Date: January 24, 2011 01:49AM

Amazing stuff. Still, I'd like to see a nice light show. We've had two comets and now this.

Briggy

Posted by: snb (logged out) ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 01:50AM

Mormons would be the last group of extremist Christians to start chanting that the end is near. I've seen J-Dubs preaching the end of the world at least four times in the last ten years, yet not one word from the Mormons.

I say bring it on though!

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 09:49AM

It could have exploded 640 years ago, it might not explode for another one million years.

I get pretty sick of the media trying to whip the masses into a frenzy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.