Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 09:12AM

An LDS Apostle claims that revelation is received every week:

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/60397/Gospel-urgently-needed.html

"Elder Nelson began by emphasizing that, in addition to what is contained in the scriptures, revelation continues to flow from heaven to prophets and apostles."

""Every Thursday is revelatory for us," Elder Nelson said, referring to the weekly meeting held in the Salt Lake Temple by the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve."

Why can't the Church tell us where Cumorah is located? From an LDS owned media source, an apologist says this:

http://www.mormontimes.com/article/18954/Cumorah-claims-cant-sustain-Great-Lakes-model?s_cid=search_queue&utm_source=search_queue

"It’s certainly possible that Joseph accepted the early LDS designation of the New York hill as Cumorah, but the fact that he never called it Cumorah suggests that he never received a revelation on the issue."

About thirty years ago the LDS Church News (in Deseret News) had some interesting things to say that are applicable right now.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=Aul-kAQHnToC&dat=19780729&printsec=frontpage

(Look on page 29, Geography Problems)

"to raise doubts in people's minds about the location of the Hill Cumorah, and thus challenge the words of the prophets concerning the place where Moroni buried the records, is most certainly harmful. And who has the right to raise doubts in anyone's mind?"

"Why not leave hidden the things that the Lord has hidden? If He wants the geography of the Book of Mormon revealed, He will do so through His prophet, and not through some writer who wishes to enlighten the world despite his utter lack of inspiration on the point."

The Apostles and Prophet receive revelation every Thursday, but they leave the location of Cumorah to writers who have an "utter lack of inspiration on the point". They used to say this was harmful. It would seem that now they just don't care.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 10:28AM

Thursday is revelation day?

The contemporary name comes from the Old English Þunresdæg, "Thunor's Day"[1][2][3] (with loss of -n-, first in northern dialects, from influence of Old Norse Þorsdagr, meaning "Thor's Day"). Thunor and Thor are derived from the Proto-Germanic god Thunaraz, god of thunder.

Posted by: freedomissweet ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 10:31AM

Comoros island with its capital named Moroni stands a good chance. And that wasn't revelation it was an Atlas.

Its in the Indian Ocean and its history is to do with Captain Kidd and buried treasure. Just up Joseph Smiths street.

Just Google 'Camora' - 'Comoro' - islands. The name had different spellings. Its interesting to see the two names put together (I mean Comoro and Moroni).

As to the prophet and apostles receiving revelation every Thurs, they sure don't let on to the members. In fact I'm not sure what the prophet is there for - no new revelations.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 11:07AM

that is VERY interesting, thanks.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 10:50AM

Wait, wait. They have revelations? I thought they haven't come up with any "real" revelations for years. In fact, you hear all the time that a lot of these revelations were mistakes - he was speaking as a man, not a profit, oopsie.

Then you hear that there aren't any new revelations because the "saints" haven't quite tackled the old ones - just not worthy enough yet for anything new.

Now they're saying the uppers have revelations ALL THE TIME? Even EVERY THURSDAY?

Which is it?

Pick one.

Do they talk to God or not?

This is how I see how the Mormon prophets and revelations work:

Mormon prophets are the mouthpeice of God -- oh, wait, he was speaking as a man that time.

This time he's speaking for God.

Nope, oops, he was speaking as a man that time

This time he's speaking for God.

No, sorry, he was speaking as a man again, and men have flaws.

THIS time, though; THIS time he's speaking as a prophet

Oh, wait, sorry, speaking as a man again...

Posted by: NoToJoe ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 10:58AM

The location of the lord's new mall?
The polyester content of the holy garment of the priesthood?
Which politically incorrect doctrines should be shunned and ignored?
The number of earrings a woman can wear?
The number of 'truths' to be removed from church publications?
The number of radio stations to be sold to maximize capital gains?

Thank god for modern day revelation! Curing cancer, locating Zarahemela on a map, or understanding how Jaredites could breath on those submarines are not important.....god must have us on a 'need to know' basis with regards to those meaningful subjects.

It would appear that in these difficult latter days that god has chosen to only reveal trivial minutia and business advise to his corporate officers.

Maybe god will reveal his favorite color, or tell us when Brad and Angelina will break up? Thank god for a prophet!

Posted by: Nebularry ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 11:08AM

Following up with omreven's comments. Let's face it, we all know that the GAs do NOT have real "revelations" as from God or Elohim or Jesus or whoever. What they call revelations we would call intuitions or ideas or thoughts or the conjurings of madmen. Sometimes they're right (though I cannot recall an instance) and sometimes they're wrong. That's why they are backpeddling and weaseling out of this alleged revelation or that. Things that might have seemed like a revelation in the 1840's or 1940's are today laughed at and seem ridiculous. And the revelations they supposedly receive today will probably look really ridiculous twenty years from now - if they don't already. Bottom line, the GA's are just ordinary men with no pipeline to God and they are trying to cling to an obsolete religion.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 11:16AM

I agree. And when they let apologists run rampant after the COJCOLDS said that is "most certainly harmful", that should be a revelation to everyone just how little respect the apostles and prophets deserve.

Posted by: Shiner Bock ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 11:42AM

Well I'm glad that they are back to getting revelation. Gordon Hinckley said they didn't need very much of it:

"[David Ransom, Australian interviwer]: As the world leader of the the Church, how are you in touch with God? Can you explain that for me?

Gordon B. Hinckley: I pray. I pray to Him. Night and morning. I speak with Him. I think He hears my prayers. As He hears the prayers of others. I think He answers them.

DR: But more than that, because you’re leader of the Church. Do you have a special connection?

Gordon B. Hinckley: I have a special relationship in terms of the Church as an institution. Yes.

DR: And you receive........

Gordon B. Hinckley: For the entire Church.

DR: You receive?

Gordon B. Hinckley: Now we don’t need a lot of continuing revelation. We have a great, basic reservoir of revelation. But if a problem arises, as it does occasionally, a vexatious thing with which we have to deal, we go to the Lord in prayer. We discuss it as a First Presidency and as a Council of the Twelve Apostles. We pray about it and then comes the whisperings of a still small voice. And we know the direction we should take and we proceed accordingly."

http://www.lds-mormon.com/hinckley.shtml

And there was the time that Mormon profit Joseph F. Smith said this during the Reed Smoot hearings:

"Senator Dubois:Have you received any individual revelations yourself since you became president of the church under your own definition, even, of a revelation?

Mr. Smith: I cannot say that I have."

So maybe J.F. Smith and Hinckley prayed about Cumorah when God was not giving out revelations about it?

Nelson needs to get this info while god is in the mood!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.