Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 09:39AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Thithter Thim ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 09:41AM

My mom tells me when she does this, when she feels I'm in need of some bonus blessings. Oh well, it really doesn't and shouldn't mean anything to me, but the fact my name is there being mentioned still annoys me.

Posted by: Jim Huston ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 09:50AM

Your name is not mentioned. It is put in a bag, along with a bunch of other names. As part of a general prayer a blessing is given "to the people who's names lie on the alters of this temple." That is as close as I can recall. It has been quite a few years since I did the prayer. It is not a "fix" prayer, but there is suggested text, like many of the Priesthood prayers.

It is simply magical thinking. If it makes them feel good, let them do it. My name has been on the temple prayer roll every week since I left. It doesn't seem to have much effect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2011 10:03AM by Jim Huston.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 08:52PM

It's just I dont hear aobut anyone sealing these bags just somene desideing everyone will be good and not turn out the bag and look at all the names.

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 01:46AM

It's the same principle as the Petition Bookin the Catholic church or prayer list in other Christian Churhes...but those are prayers generally for people suffering illness...most Moms don't put the names of wayward kids onit...but then again I'm sure there are some.

stormy

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 09:44AM

It buggs me and I still think sooene could easely go though the names for reasons we dont know about. If I ask a mormon advice on behalf of a friend I always give a fake name.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 10:15AM

A friend once told me that she put my name there. I didn't care one way or the other at the time, but it does seem like a strange voodoo-like ritual

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 10:21AM

It used to make me feel good, not because I felt the prayers did anything, but that someone cared enough to think of me.

Now it just amuses me because I'm sure they're putting my name on there to help me get my testimony back, and just ain't gonna happen.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 10:33AM

I'm SURE mine is always on it. I have who I consider TWO best friends--one attends the temple A LOT and she has been putting my name in there since who knows when--but I'm sure more so since she knows I don't believe. She is one of the best people I've ever met--so I know it isn't a "passive-aggressive" move on her part.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 11:30AM

I think it's silly. I've been on the prayer role a lot. You know, because of apostacy.

Posted by: NerdLinger ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 11:54AM

I'm sure my TBM parents and sibling put my name, my wife's name and my brother's name on the prayer roll every month. And I know most if them pray for us as a family, as couples and individually. Obviously, no effect. But it's still something I try not to think about. It makes me feel like I'm being stalked by "god, angels and the witnesses here today."

Posted by: kita ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 12:40PM

For me it has been totally meaningless nothing ever came from it for me. I prayed for years that my family would become active in the church thank God it never happened. However, when I left the church I prayed that my husband would come to Christ within less than a year my prayers were answered. Now we both go to a local Christian bible based church and are happier than we've ever been in our lives. I never experienced this same feeling in the temple and now I know why.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 12:53PM

I am sure my name gets put on it often as my uber TBM sister works in the temple. If it makes them feel better about their apostate sister, so be it. It is mildly amusing to me, actually.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 12:57PM

It's their religious beliefs, not mine, but it's OK with me as I understand they are following what they believe.
Won't change anything with me, however.
If it helps them to accept me as I am -- fine.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 01:19PM

I remember passing the sacrament to a woman who took the small cup of water, and poured it into the baby's bottle. At that ripe old age, I remember thinking, "lady, the kid isn't renewing any covenants and didn't understand the prayer. You must have gotten the magic water idea from some other religion."

Fast forward a few (okay, a lot of) years, now I look at mormon rituals the same way. It's all magic that makes them feel good.

My mum has been praying for me and putting my name on those rolls for years. It doesn't bother me, and it makes her feel good.

Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 01:29PM

When family members say they are going to do this, my first reaction (inside my head) is remembering how weird that whole prayer circle ritual is..

Besides that, I could care less.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 01:36PM

Next time I'm told about the blessings I'm receiving by my name being there, I can say, "hey, isn't that when you get to veil your face and hold some stranger's hand in a funny grip? Thanks!"

Posted by: Lillium ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 01:30PM

Dunt bother me a bit, UNLESS they make a point to tell me about it, saying I should expect some blessings. Then when something good comes they gloat and credit the damned prayer. That pisses me off and I have no idea how to respond.

Posted by: jeffnlb ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 01:41PM

Doesn't bother me in the least. Paraphrasing, but as Michael said in The Boys in the Band, "If there's no God, well then OK - no harm done - but if there IS one, then I'm covered."

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 01:45PM

Anyone can phone the temples and give names to get added to the prayer rolls. You could call and have your TBM family member names put on. Let the temples pray for you that your family will see the truth and leave the church.

That way if your family tells you they have the temples praying for you to come back, turn it back on them and say that their names are there too because you want them to leave the cult.

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 02:21PM

I've gone into the foyer of the temple to put names in for a friend of mine who asked me to. It's amusing to see the looks when you wander in in jeans or work clothes :)

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 02:37PM

I find that whole notion disturbing. Doesn't this belief imply that God is limited in knowledge and needs us to provide information ... or maybe God is a "respecter of persons" and grants better favors to individuals who know someone on the "inside?"

Strange!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2011 02:40PM by Fetal Deity.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 02:59PM

Names of apostates are not supposed to be on the temple prayer rolls. People forget the instructions, and the prayers at the time of praying "for those whose names lie upon the altar" that it's only supposed to be for the righteous who need special blessings. Even the prayer roll is supposed to be kept pure.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 03:18PM

I like it if my nonmo friends light candles or pray for me. Here's the difference with mormons. When *they* pray, they ask God to use his will to force people to do what mormons want. Their prayers are not open ended and trusting that what's best will happen.

They're more like this, "Please heavenly father touch my daughter's heart that she'll return to the fold and be worthy to have her eye surgery go well. And if this is not possible, help her learn from her affliction and realize that the only way to eternal happiness is through suffering for her sins in this life."

Mormon prayers can be pretty darned nasty.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 10:19PM

1. These prayers for the living do have real meaning in the minds of most devout mormons. They turn in names of the sick and suffering and of those they think are lost souls or in danger of being influenced by Satan. Tithe payers see this as one of the payoffs to dishing out dough, so it's an LDS moneymaker.

2. Dead dunking is another moneymaker. The church devours dead names of nonmos, exmos, and exed former members. There are dusty rules about waiting a year and getting permission. But these are less important than the rule about giving sacrament to the bish first. There is no oversight and there are no consequences.

3. Once a name is dead dunked, it's used several more times in temple rituals as makework for temple goers. They feel special for paying the price to do these rituals and prcess these names. Mormons foolishly think they're impacting the eternities and that what they do means they'll be repayed and admired in the hereafter because foolish mortals don't realize how beholden they'll be to mortal mormons who put out this effort.

All three of the above temple programs are in place to control mormons, to bring in tithes, and to express mormon arrogance.

I don't want my good name tarnished in morg temple rites. So sue me.

Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 03:21PM

Because paper in a bag being prayed for is much more effective in gods eyes than a individual issuing a heart felt prayer for their fellow man.

Yup.

Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 03:21PM

We put our cat's name on the temple prayer roll, but the little thing still died of cancer. So much for the priesthood being able to heal our loved ones.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 03:41PM

I told them, if they wanted to help, there were actual things I needed help with. Prayer was useless, and did nothing to get those things done. Essentially, if they could help or not, that was fine, but prayer was not OK, because it is not a solution.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 03:41PM

I bet that TSCC keeps an enormous data base of the names, though. They love to keep records.

T-Bone

Posted by: Jim Huston ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 08:38PM

My experience as an officiator is this is so unimportant no one cares. The name is picked up, shoved in the packet and delivered to the endowment room. It is purely something to make patrons feel like they are doing something positive for their relatives in need. No one in the temple cares or pays any attention. That is why in my earlier post I said I did not feel it mattered.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 05:25PM

Nevermo chiming in -- there is no "prayer roll" in the temple -- they dead dunk.

That's how the Mormons get "permission," in my opinion, to dead dunk (or proxy baptise). They say, they ask, "can I put Jane in for prayer in the temple?" and the the person thinks, okay, that sounds nice, just like my lutheran best friend asked.

Little does the average person know giving permission for "prayer" in the temple means giving permission to dead dunk the deceased.

It's all about deception and lying for the lord.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 06:59PM

Umm... I'm no fan of the church, but I do feel the need to correct folks that lack any real understanding of the theology and practices of mormons.

People write the names of loved ones on a slip of paper and place it in a box (looks like a suggestion box usually). Those slips of paper are later collected and placed in a sack. During the endowment the sack with the names in it is placed on the alter and folks circle around it (boy-girl-boy-girl) and offer a really odd prayer.

To do vicarious works for someone you need more than just a name (this is why genealogy and family history research is so important to mormons)... also they need to be dead. The people on the prayer roll are not dead.

For the sake of me and everyone on this board, please take the time to study mormonism before you open your mouth and more stupid falls out. Accusatory statements that are ignorant and uniformed are counterproductive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2011 06:59PM by strivingforbalance.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 08:31PM

Agree

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 08:35PM

I think they may have made it so you can add names by Internet now. I hope they do because one day I want to put things like I.P. Freely, Peter Nibbler, and all those other middle school joke names on the list, along with my cat, your cat, and my son's dog and stuff.

Date: January 23, 2011 09:50PM

strivingforbalance Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> To do vicarious works for someone you need more
> than just a name (this is why genealogy and family
> history research is so important to mormons)...
> also they need to be dead. The people on the
> prayer roll are not dead.
>
>
> For the sake of me and everyone on this board,
> please take the time to study mormonism before you
> open your mouth and more stupid falls out.
> Accusatory statements that are ignorant and
> uniformed are counterproductive.

This isn't "stupid falls out". I have family members who were devout in their faith and were dead-dunked and are now considered baptised Mormons and no knows where the "permission" came from outside of someone requesting to "put a prayer in at the temple," and even then no one knows how these family became Mormon after death. We all know what happens in the temple.

If you think I'm ignorant, how about you and the Mormons enlighten me. Make it very clear to me what the deal is, because we're all really confused how the parents and grandparents got themselves all Mormon after they were dead.

Date: January 23, 2011 10:01PM

What "strivingforbalance" said is correct.

According to LD$ theology your family is not LD$ unless they accepted "the work".

How do you know their work has been done?

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 10:13PM

Neither is permission needed from the living for prayer rolls. The person who wants to place someone's name on the rolls just does it. The person who wants to submit names for baptism just does it.

Baptizing for the dead is a doctrine that says all dead people need to be baptized and then they decide if they accept the baptism. But permission is not needed since dead people are, you know, dead. And the ordinances are supposed to be done for everyone all the way back to the first humans.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 10:32PM

Perhaps an unsuspecting family member was using FamilySearch.org

Date: January 23, 2011 10:54PM

atheist&happy:-) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What "strivingforbalance" said is correct.
>
> According to LD$ theology your family is not LD$
> unless they accepted "the work".
>
> How do you know their work has been done?

Their "work" has been done because they are listed as Mormon at the Mormon geneological website. That's what the IGI is, at least as far as I understand...If I'm getting all stupid again, please enlighten me.

Date: January 23, 2011 11:01PM

Also, there is an order for asking permission. You may not be the person to ask. Someone else may have given permission.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.