Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: experienceheals ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 09:44PM

The Movie. Anyone see the first one, where the alien bugs came down to earth, mutilated and killed off all the Mormons?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 665 N' 1/2 ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 09:46PM

Posted by: Black Listed ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 09:47PM

Yeah! Killed Camp Mormon... That was Highlarious

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 09:49PM

The Mormon colony? Yup; I was living in Provo at the time when the movie came out and had a good laugh at the scene. FYI, I recommend reading the book and also "Stranger in a Strange Land." Heinlen is a great writer

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 11:42PM

Read everything he wrote when I was a teen, loved him.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 09:49PM

I had forgotten all about that. Thanks experienceheals!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J206CKoG1R0

Date: January 23, 2011 09:57PM

Thanks for that. I was eating spaghetti dinner as I watched it. lol! didn't phase me too much, since It's fake but pretty real looking.

Date: January 23, 2011 09:50PM

Awesome stuff! would be nice if it happened. messed up, but that may be perhaps the only way we can get rid of their infestation. Not by the blood of our own hands, but by aliens. That way at least we'd carry no responsibility for their demise.

Date: January 23, 2011 09:52PM

maybe the horn dog in me, but I loved the co ed showers scene. I wished there was such thing as that when I was in high school during P.E. LOL!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 09:57PM

Are you sure you actually saw the movie ?

Date: January 23, 2011 09:58PM

saw it in theaters. it's been a while since i watched it though.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 10:01PM

In the movie, the bugs had attacked a Mormon colony - not on Earth. I was living with my TBM wife when I watched the movie on my VCR. I called the her and the kids to see that scene, and my then-wife refused. She said it was some kind of "anti-mormon propaganda"... God, I'm glad I'm rid of her.

Date: January 23, 2011 10:20PM

Thanks for clearing that up of the location. it's been a while. I thought the colony was on earth or something and they all had congregated there for safety, but failed.

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 10:58PM

Was this the 1997 movie with Casper Van Dien as Rico? Been awhile since I've seen it, but I don't remember any Mormon massacre scene ... Of course, in 1997, I wasn't a Mormon, so such a detail just might have escaped me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2011 10:59PM by Sorcha.

Date: January 23, 2011 11:03PM

I think it was in 97 or 98. the youtube link provided shows that scene.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 11:31PM

RAH's "Starship Troopers" is probably one of the top ten military science fiction novels and has been required reading at the service academies and command/staff courses. The film has a lot of differences from the novel, but it did show the aftermath of an Arachnid (i.e. "Bug") attack on the planet Dantanna which was "colonised by Mormon extremists." The film shows the ruins of a bombed temple, etc.

Date: January 23, 2011 11:41PM

I've read "Starship Troopers" many times and I did like the film even though it was vastly different in scope and tone from the novel. It was made as a dark parody and the director admitted that he didn't even read it all the way through. Don't bother with the sequels except for the third film--the only thing worth seeing are the powered armour suits which were the chief feature of the Mobile Infantry from the book but aren't seen at all in the first or second film.

Date: January 24, 2011 01:06AM

are you sure you actually saw the movie ?

Date: January 24, 2011 12:15PM

In my real-life role as the Supreme Nerd Queen of The Universe I went back and checked the DVD (I have all three movies). What is shown is a short news clip of a Mormon outpost called "Port Joe Smith" on the planet Dantanna in the Arachnid Quarantine Zone with debris, dead bodies, and the ruins of a partially built building with a still standing large tower with a golden Moroni statue on top.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 12:25AM

"Doogie Howser" and a pretty good look at Denise Richards in showers!

Date: January 24, 2011 01:04AM

Are you sure you actually saw the movie ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2011 01:04AM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 02:49AM

And I definitely remember the (in)famous shower scene. But it has been about thirteen years. Maybe I'm conflating a couple of different memories.

I did a Google search to see what I could find. There are sites claiming that some of Denise's "naughty" scenes were deleted from the movie ... so maybe I saw the "European" version!?!?!? But probably not. Sigh ... (I'll admit my memory is hardly perfect!)

Date: January 24, 2011 02:53AM

13 years ago? that makes me feel old! I'm only 35.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 12:52AM

Mormon names come up in his stories and his protagonists sometimes go out of their way to justify their smoking habit. One short story includes the transfiguration of a new church leader into the likeness of his successor just as it was claimed Brigham Young was transfigured to appear as Joseph Smith. Heinlein, to my knowledge, wasn't a Mormon, but things Mormon popped up in his work.

Addition: The story was "If This Goes On." I wrote a paper on Mormonism in Heinlein's work for a BYU class.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2011 01:05AM by robertb.

Posted by: dieter ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 01:00AM

The book was a million times better. The movie is ok never cared for Denise Richards. Doogie Howser Space Nazi was funny.

Posted by: toomuch irl ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 04:04AM

MOVIE TRIVIA:

The movie was filmed in Lincoln County Nevada not far from where the "Lee" family is buried and the people whose original ansestors were at the MMM!

Date: January 24, 2011 07:37AM

Who is the lee family? Never heard of them.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 12:21PM

Wow I didn't know that. That is so interesting. I've just finished a book about MMM and recently watched September Dawn.

By the way, I'm pretty sure it was the second movie that had the mormon outpost destroyed. When the first movie came out I saw it at the theatre and then rented it several times. I liked it. I'm weird.

Later I read somewhere that "starship troopers" is anti mormon and I was like "Huh?" So I rushed out, watched it again and was dissapointed. The only thing I could find that was even remotely mormon related was the commercials in the film asking "do you want to know more?" That seems like a definate take off from the mormon advertisements at the time.

Then I found out about the sequel and saw what they were talking about. Not anti-mormon anti-extremist people maybe. I thought it was called "camp Joe Smith". Anyway, it was a colony that disregarded conventional advice and set up on a planet near the bugs--it got wiped out in a fairly graphic manner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2011 12:29PM by onendagus.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 12:47PM

onendagus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow I didn't know that. That is so interesting.
> I've just finished a book about MMM and recently
> watched September Dawn.
>
> By the way, I'm pretty sure it was the second
> movie that had the mormon outpost destroyed. When
> the first movie came out I saw it at the theatre
> and then rented it several times. I liked it.
> I'm weird.
>
> Later I read somewhere that "starship troopers" is
> anti mormon and I was like "Huh?" So I rushed out,
> watched it again and was dissapointed. The only
> thing I could find that was even remotely mormon
> related was the commercials in the film asking "do
> you want to know more?" That seems like a definate
> take off from the mormon advertisements at the
> time.
>
> Then I found out about the sequel and saw what
> they were talking about. Not anti-mormon
> anti-extremist people maybe. I thought it was
> called "camp Joe Smith". Anyway, it was a colony
> that disregarded conventional advice and set up on
> a planet near the bugs--it got wiped out in a
> fairly graphic manner.

Yup. Bugs HATE it when a couple of young guys in white shirts ring the door bell.

Posted by: David A ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 12:51PM

The scene only lasts a few seconds. There's a quick view of an Angel Moroni statue behind all the carnage.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.