Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wardbecks ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 11:07PM

How do you treat your mormon neighbors who don't preach?

Are you kind to them?
Do you shun them?
Do you tease them?
Do you just simply stay out of their way?

Honest answers only please.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elee ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 11:19PM

Hmmm. Well, I think there are some mormon guys living a few doors down. I've seen them on Sundays wearing the standard issue church uniform, but I don't know for certain they're LDS.

We smile in passing, say hi. Occasionally we shovel their walk. That kind of thing.

Otherwise, I am not actually certain which of my neighbors are Mormon.

Posted by: thedrive ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 11:19PM

Like friends.

And I treat my preachy LDS neighbors the same way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2011 11:24PM by thedrive.

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 12:31AM

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 12:47AM

Just like anybody else. There's cool Mormons I'm friends with and lame Mormons I'm not.

Posted by: dragger88 ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 12:58AM

I am up front right from the get go. Living in the Mecca of MOMO we are surrounded by them. I let them know that we can hang and be sociable as long as that subject is never touched upon. Unfortunately in the last 18 years, there have only been THREE people that I have lived by that as members, and knowing my position on the subject, have ever gone without talking about the "church" or tried to get me to go or tried to tell me something about it.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 01:03AM

I lived in Utah as a nevermo and would have loved to have a good relationship with Mormons who lived on my street who did not preach. However you know the gossip. Once one or two knew we were NOT going to convert after speaking to mishies- at the door twice- we were shunned for over 4 yrs. Seriously shunned.

But I think all neighbors should be kind to one another if they are not being hassled by religious literature, etc. or harrassed on a big issue of a similar nature. Neighbors could be such a blessing to all in our communities if we could just be accepted. Mormons are the worst at not accepting other people. They are the absolute WORST!!!

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 01:03AM

Why not dishonest answers like:

I punch every Mormon I meet in the crotch.

What the hell kind of question is this?

Oh that's right it's a passive aggressive, please dispel all the bullshit myths that the cult has instilled about exmo in me please kind of question.

Posted by: ex missionary ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 01:08AM

Being mormon or not isn't too much of an issue on my street. There are four houses. The other three have lived here for decades, we've only been around a few years. One family is LDS, the other two are exmormon. My house is mixed, I'm ex, my wife is not (yet?).

I think there was an issue between the LDS family and the guy that lives in front but that was so long ago that there are only veiled references to it. Everyone seems to get along. We're not too close but we do help each other out every once in a while.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 02:10AM

However, I treat my neighbors the same. I'm respectful of their property and privacy. Offer them a smile and a hello in passing. And respond to any overtures of friendliness. Oh, and I shovel walks for my neighbors too. I like the exercise and I have more time than many of them. I'd do that even if I knew they were (gasp) Mormon.

So, why are you asking? Is this a big issue for you? Because if you have a rude neighbor I'd have to wonder if that's just because you seem to be rather rude yourself. Have you considered counseling or therapy? They have lots of programs now to teach social skills to those who lack them.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 02:52AM

For 27 years I lived on a small circle in southeast Salt Lake City. My four closest neighbors were active LDS, and I was not.

I went skiing, sailing, bicycling, hiking on Sundays and it was obvious that I was doing that. We NEVER discussed religion so they had no way of knowing that I had ever been LDS. I had been out of the Morg for 15 years when I moved to that location.

I was on the best of terms with my LDS neighbors. We clearly had different ideas about how to spend Sundays, but otherwise we didn't seem to have any differences.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 03:07AM

I live in California where this isn't the norm. These lovely neighbors have been outstanding and I've treated them with absolute kindess.

However, I might have been closer to them over the years if they'd not been TBM mormons.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 09:28AM

I'm distrust them and am ready to pounce on them at any moment. That's unfair of me, but I've conditioned myself. I've got to begin to do something differently. I'm not in the morridor, and not absolutely surrounded by Mormons, but am in a sort of exclave of Mormonism and have many at work and around the neighborhood in general. I've had very few begin to preach at me.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 09:37AM

It seems they have a great deal of trouble separating comments about their Church from comments about them personally.

So, in the end I don't change my behavior because they are Mormon, but I don't have to deal with them much anyway.

Posted by: Rose Park Ranger ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 09:37AM

One of my neighbors is a seminary teacher. We have kids the same age & they play together.

Maybe my neighbors think that there's a chance I will stop putting out big jars of sun tea in the summer.

Posted by: Archie deBunker ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 09:53AM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 10:51AM

Honest question. Honest.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.