Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 11:45AM

In the church, if I had received personal revelation it was considered to true if it conformed to the LDS faith. If it contradicted the teachings it was wrong and obviously from Satan.

Are there any quotes or scripture references to support this idea? Or is it just a ploy to manipulate the members to conform?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 11:51AM

"Some revelations are from God, some revelations are from man, and some revelations are from the Devil."
----Joseph Smith

And he was THE Prophet!!

Posted by: Awake In Tucson ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 01:54PM

That was a really good self-refuting statement. If I was there at the time I would have said to Old Joe: "So why even use the term 'revelation'?"

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 04:33PM

This quote is most interesting. After the "translation" of the BofM was completed, Joseph "received a revelation" that promised that if the brethren made the trek to Canada the copyright for that country would be purchased and that money could be used to publish in the US. The brethren made the trip in blizard conditions and the copyright remained unsold. Upon their return they confronted Joseph. He retired to a separate room to pray. The result was the quote given.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 12:42PM

Good one. Thanks!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.