Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: student ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 01:07PM

I visited the student clinic today to get my yearly TB test. A sign on the wall promoting the HPV vaccination stated that "By age 50 80% of women will have some form of HPV". HPV is the human papilloma virus which exists in several different strains and can cause cervical cancer.

My question: Does anyone get HPV even if they have had a single monogomous partner? Is it possible that even monogamous couples who have only had one partner could get this from touching an infected doornob (for example) before having sex? I'm wondering if I should get vaccinated even though I'm in a monogamous relationship. Has anyone ever heard of anyone getting HPV and/or cervical cancer even though they've not been sleeping around?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jenny ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 01:14PM

Monogamous, that is.

I was in a "monogamous" 10-year marriage with a RMSOBTBM. When I found out about his couple dozen affairs, I went to get the STD cocktail test and my doctor warned me strongly about HPV and wanted me to assure him that I was going to get a divorce.

My lesson? You never really know. Things may be one way at one point but they can always change, especially if you're still in your student phase of life. Vaccinating will prepare you for anything and if that possibility never arrives then so much the better.

I'm not an anti-HPV vaccine mom. My daughter has had the series and while the shot location hurt for a day each time, there were no other effects.

Posted by: devilman ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 02:34PM

Sorry to hear about that Jenny. That sucks.

On that topic I have some friends (Mormons) that have 2 little girls and they decided they're not going to get them vaccinated for HPV because they don't want to send the message that it's okay to break the law of chastity.

While I don't consider it my place to tell them what decisions they should be making for their kids my very first thought was what if something like you described happens? Or worse, what if they're abused/raped? To me their logic is akin to saying "why buckle up - you should just decide up front that you're not going to crash. Buckling up just sends a message that it's okay to drive recklessly".

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 01:17PM

You won't get it from a door knob for sure.

I've seen studies that show correlations with first sex being at a young age, multiple partners etc.

The nurse at the clinic is a great person to ask, as is places like Planned Parenthood, and the County Health Department.

Google, or a kind soul here with medical training might get you what you need also.

On something as important as what vaccinations to get, and STD's, I don't know that I'd base my decisions on what strangers on a message board think.

Good luck on your decision.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 01:40PM

Unless you're into humping doorknobs. I'm a Schlage guy, myself.

Ron

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 02:10PM

ExMormonRon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Unless you're into humping doorknobs. I'm a
> Schlage guy, myself.
>
> Ron

OK, Coca Cola is now running out of my nose....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2011 04:24PM by kookoo4kokaubeam.

Posted by: neverevermo ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 04:15PM

get it and protect yourself. as another poster stated... you just never know.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.