Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Butterfly Undercover ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 02:04PM

A local baptist church's markey changes weekly. Currently, it says: "Watch your feet. Others watch your feet too."

Help me with this.

Why would people spend the time watching what someone else does?

Why aren't they watching what they are doing?

Are these people perfectly sinless?

If I am watching what my neighbor is doing, wouldn't I be considered a busybody, and wouldn't I use what I saw as gossip material?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 20, 2013 07:17PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 04:54PM

Butterfly Undercover Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t
Of course.

It means be careful of the path you follow, as others may follow you.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 07:32PM

I don't get it unless the minster has a major foot fetish.

If it were a Mormon church it should say "watch your back" which would make more sense.

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 07:33PM

I interpret it as a "be a good example" kind of message. Like, control your behavior, because others are watching you.

I'm not a big fan of cryptic church sign messages. There's a church here locally that always has weird messages on their sign. One recent one said, "He is the potter, not Harry." What the heck is that even supposed to mean? I'm familiar with the scriptural reference to the potter, and I gather they were trying to be funny, but it was just plain dumb.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 04:57PM

Kismet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I interpret it as a "be a good example" kind of
> message. Like, control your behavior, because
> others are watching you.
>
> I'm not a big fan of cryptic church sign messages.
> There's a church here locally that always has
> weird messages on their sign. One recent one
> said, "He is the potter, not Harry." What the
> heck is that even supposed to mean? I'm familiar
> with the scriptural reference to the potter, and I
> gather they were trying to be funny, but it was
> just plain dumb.

Not dumb at all. It's quite a cleaver play on words.

Harry Potter? ;o))

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 08:29PM

Well yeah, it's obvious that they were referring to Harry Potter. But a clever play on words? No, a dumb play on words. Or word, actually, since the other Potter is a name, not really a word. There's nothing clever about it. It's a really juvenile form of humor, like the dumb knock knock jokes third graders make up to amuse their classmates during recess.

I don't remember Harry Potter ever claiming he was the creator of the world, or setting himself up as a rival to God. So what's with the whole "It's GOD who created you, not Harry Potter!" It's just dumb. Who was claiming that Harry Potter was "the potter" in the first place? Oh yeah, no one. If you find it clever, then... different strokes for different folks, I guess. I still think it's a stupid thing to put on a sign.

Posted by: foolmoon ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 07:33PM

Yep, somehow, most of TBMs think they're entitled to being other people's "worthiness police". I think it's part of the whole "God's elected people" BS mentality.
I left the cult in 2009, still attend the meetings every now and then when visiting with family, but haven't partaken in the sacrament ever since. I can't count how many times I saw heads turning my direction, to see if I was going to refuse sacrament again.
Or people offering to watch my kids so DH and I could go to the temple. Or out of the blue asking in which temple we were sealed. These weren't just simple questions, they're a way of spying and checking out if you're a "good" mormon.

I love this song and it reminds me of when I first left the Morg. Especially the verses:

"Watch out, the world's behind you
There's always someone around you who will call
It's nothing at all"

http://youtu.be/n3TW49VCd3I

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2013 07:39PM by drlectersdaughter.

Date: June 21, 2013 11:53AM

I think they should monitor their own behavior.

Yes, some of the cryptic messages are funnier than Hades.

Here is another Baptist church's sign: "Our Sundays are better than Dairy Queens." Yes, they left off the apostrophe in Queen.

Posted by: metatron ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 04:06PM

Wo! Knee slapper! Nyuk nyuk.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 12:01PM

the pizza place down the street from me uses their board to post messages. I don't mind this usually, but after the last election they put up something like "there is no freedom anymore as of today" (can't remember the exact wording now) That made me never want to go there again. The newest sign says "some jerk stole blah blah's donation jar"

Okay, that's fine. But it really turned me off to see the managers personal political beliefs posted in public.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 12:05PM

I like Papa John's and Chik fil a.

what purpose does it serve to go out of your way to alienate me?

It certainly doesn't bring in MORE customers, only drives some devotees away.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 12:14PM

I think of that EVERY TIME I drive by there now. I can't imagine how many other customers they have alienated just because of that stupid sign.

Posted by: burnned ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 01:12PM

It means keep track of your own doings (good works or bad works) because the Lord said "by their works you shall know them" (to that effect...) It's not like we can all refuse to notice what other people are doing (good or bad to our own perceptions) , if we didn't notice what's going on around us-- it's potentially dangerous-- and dumb to be too oblivious-- and say if someone was drowning or about to make a nasty fall-- but we're too busy minding our own business to be helpful. Anyway, it's about Not putting down others, and being Mindful of your own Doings. .... Or it's the Foot-Fetish thing.... LOL

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 01:43PM

The local Baptist church here just puts up stuff like "Evolution? Who you trying to fool?" and "Big Bang? Hahahah!"

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 01:45PM

Baptist, unlike Mormons, are allowed to drink. My guess is that the "Watch your feet" pastor had a few too many when he was putting that one together.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 02:25PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2013 02:25PM by Cheryl.

Date: June 22, 2013 03:25PM

book people read."

I understand this wording. It makes sense.

Lutheran Church's sign down the street: "Soak in our bubble
bath. It is refreshingly holy." <--- Dumb!

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 04:11PM

Vague sign. Perhaps it is a catchy sermon title and all will become clear on Sunday morning? Our pastors are big on catchy sermon titles.

Date: June 22, 2013 07:31PM

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 08:03PM

I think you're not getting what they meant. Of course, I'm a Baptist, and I don't get it either. I do think the comment is probably aimed at the membership...might be trying to generate some interest. Like Presbyterian says, some pastors like a catchy sermon title.

Edited for spelling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2013 08:04PM by stillburned.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.