Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exbishfromportland ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 02:20AM

Someone mentioned last night they would like to read this. This is one of the official accounts, written by Alexander Neibaur, actually the first Jew to join the church. He also wrote one of the church hymns. If you've read the various accounts I'm sure they all come across as rather eloquent. In reality, not so much. This is a hand typed copy with intact grammar, spelling and punctuation.

"Br. Joseph tolt us the first call he had a Revival Meeting, his Mother, Br. & Sisters got Religion. He wanted to get Religion too, wanted to feel & shout like the rest but could feel nothing, opened his Bible of the first Passage that struck him was if any man lack wisdom let him ask of God who giveth to all men liberally & upbraideth not. Went into the woods to pray, kneels himself down, his tongue was closet to his roof - could utter not a word, felt easier after awhile - saw a fire toward heaven came near & nearer; saw a personage in the fire, light complexion, blue eyes, a piece of white cloth down over his shoulders, his right arm bear; after a while a other person came to the side of the first. Mr. Smith then asked, must I join the Methodist Church. No, they are not my People, they have gone astray, there is none that doeth good, not one, but this is my Beloved Son harken ye him, the fire drew nigher, Rested on the tree, enveloped him comforted I endeavored to arise but felt uncomen feeble - got into the house told the Methodist priest, said this was not a age for God to Reveal himself in Vision Revelation has ceased with the New Testament."

As you can see, there are a few glaring differences compared with the official composite vanilla version the church presents to the world. This one doesn't really address being overcome by Satan and being divinely saved from that fate. It talks of an initial conversation with God only - who is obviously not wearing garments! This version has Christ coming along later, not being there at the beginning. Mentions no other details. It talks about an enveloping fire. When he left he went to see the Methodist minister instead of going home.

When someone is telling the truth, the details will remain constant over time. This smacks of sloppy lying.
I haven't read this for years. I read it now and the inconsistencies are obvious.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 08:47AM

White with blue eyes. Yep, that's the Mormon God. Thanks for posting this.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 08:55AM

I have heard more convincing tales from the defendants on Judge Judy

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 06:33AM

I have not heard this version before. Thanks for sharing it, Do you know the date Joseph told it? I would guess it was after he was thrown out of the Methodist church. LOL

Posted by: Satan Claus ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 07:43AM

May 24, 1844

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 07:30AM

Fascinating - and clearly different from any other version that I've read.

And of course, it's strengthened by the fact that your 4thggrandfather had no reason to lie.

He's just telling what he was told by Joe

Does Uncle Dale know about this one ?

Thanks exbishfromportland

Have a nice weekend

Tom in Paris

Posted by: oldklunker ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 07:36AM

Google: 1844

Well after the "official" account.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 07:45AM

This is what I cannot buy from this version, or the version put out by LDS Corp:

After this supposedly occurred: "saw a fire toward heaven came near & nearer; saw a personage in the fire, light complexion, blue eyes, a piece of white cloth down over his shoulders, his right arm bear; after a while a other person came to the side of the first."

Would any person in the world then say: "must I join the Methodist Church"? Or even, "Which church should I join?"

No. Anybody and everybody would say something equivalent to: "W T F! Who are you? What's happening?" etc.

Even though such a topic was the purpose of your initial prayer, you're not going to be thinking about repeating such a question upon seeing/experiencing heavenly manifestations, which haven't occurred to anyone else in the world's history for over 1,800 years.

Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 07:51AM

Thanks, that was a very interesting read.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 08:25AM

>>...He wanted to get Religion too, wanted to feel & shout like the rest but could feel nothing<<

This gives some insight into the religious mania of the Second Great Awakening. The time and the general mentality was right for religious hucksterism.

Posted by: exbishfromportland ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 06:50PM

Hey, hadn't checked back after I put this up. Glad people read it. Thanks!

Good comments all. And yes, absolutely, if something like that actually happened, the first question out of your mouth would not be "must I join the Methodist Church." I seriously doubt if a question like that would even be asked during an experience like this.

However, Alexander Neibaur has a whole lot of LDS descendants, and apparently this journal is fairly well read among them, so the church cannot ignore this version, which is obviously even "more out there" than the official one!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.