Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ever Mindful ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 03:30AM

This online piece by David Perry, an associate history professor at the Dominican University in River Forest, IL, is worth reading, IMO: http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/28/opinion/perry-gender-children/?iref=obnetwork

Perry's words are certainly applicable to patriarchal Mormonism, JS' sexist, lies-based religion that has disempowered millions of females since 1830.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: earlyrm ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 02:15PM

I didn't read the article, but I entirely agree with the ideas of treating our children like CHILDREN, not like little princesses and little race-car drivers. Sex stereotypes, especially "Daddy's little princess", grow the girls to become shallow-minded, short-term thinking monsters. They become the stereotype of a dumb (but cultural, with their tea parties) girl, while the men are encouraged to be engineering and intellectual. The boys rule the world while the girls serve the coffee.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 03:45PM

Here's another article about gender-specific colors and their origins: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/When-Did-Girls-Start-Wearing-Pink.html?c=y&page=1

Even though I was TBM when my daughter was born, I didn't like gender stereotypes and dressed her in gender-neutral colors. Since she was bald until almost 1 1/2 years of age, she looked like a boy. Initially, when strangers gave her compliments by stating, "Oh, look how inquisitive and curious HE is," or "HE's so intelligent" I would correct them by responding that "he" was a girl. After a few moments of hesitation, they'd say something like, "Why, yes, she's so pretty and look at her cute eyes." I decided I liked the boy-centric comments more and stopped correcting strangers.

For the first part of her life, my daughter was given compliments that highlighted her intelligence. And at home, her dad and I (and family and friends) would tell her how intelligent AND adorable she was. On her own, it wasn't until high school that she decided dresses were OK to wear. Now, she loves dressing up. But that's her decision, not society's. I'll take her with dyed hair, black clothing, piercings, tattoos, anything, but she chooses outfits and styles to fit her taste which happens to be conservative by mainstream examples, but definitely over-the-line by Mormon standards (i.e. short shorts, tank tops, bikinis, short dresses, sleeveless tops, etc.).

I didn't want to raise an insecure girl who's worried about her looks. I wanted to raise a woman who could hold her own in discussions and who would be respected for her opinions. Most of all, she's an interesting person with whom others want to be. I'm lucky to have helped raise such an amazing person (that her younger brother also adores).

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 03:48PM

Nice!

It's good to remember that we are not raising "children," we are raising ADULTS!

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 03:56PM

Love this piece!

Posted by: orange ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 07:29PM

Boys don't need to be brought thinking it is their sole duty to take care of females, especially beyond what is reasonable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2013 07:43PM by orange.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.