Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koholet ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 03:35PM

Hey, sorry for the lame, ignorant topic, but I checked the glossary of abbreviations and didn't see this one listed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 03:41PM

It stands for New Order Mormon.

But it can get confusing when speaking about the National Organization for Marriage.

Personally I think it's the sound you make when you eat something yummy. nom nom nom

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 03:45PM

New Order Mormon. Basically, they know the church is a total crock but they keep going for family and social reasons.

Date: June 22, 2013 04:00PM

Ah ha. Are "New Order Mormons" a codified organizational offshoot a la The Community of Christ or is that just a label for individual active-but-non-believers?

Thanks, guys.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 04:11PM

The latter. I was a NOM for most of my life in the cult. I stopped believing as a kid, but was forced to go by my TBM mom. I couldn't talk about my disbelief either, & really, no one knew about it.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 08:19PM

A NOM could also be a partial believer that remains active. That is more precisely called an cafeteria Mormon but would fit in the NOM umbrella.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2013 08:24PM by The Oncoming Storm - bc.

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 08:06PM

Is "cultural Mormon" a fair description of NOMs? Don't know... just honestly asking and not invested in the answer, one way or another.

Posted by: Nom-nation ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 08:19PM

Cultural mormon is an accurate description. I'm one. I hate attending church but, having already tested the waters, I know that if I were to leave I would face divorce and having my kids taken away, I'd also be cut off from my family.
When I finished my mission I mentioned to my parents some questions I had regarding the historicity of the church and its truth claims. My mother looked me dead in the eye, as cool as you like, and said "any child that doesn't believe the church is true is dead to me".
Most people on this board would probably say, "hey, get some balls!" If only it were that simple.

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 08:23PM

No, I understand it's not simple. If I cannot relate exactly, I can certainly empathize. Must be extremely difficult.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 09:44PM

So many subcultures within the church. And I don't mean that flippantly.

How do NOMs differ from Jack Mormons? Is it just a Word of Wisdom sort of thing? I am trying to learn the "New Order" of just about everything nowadays, including all the abbreviations on the internet. LOL.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 09:54PM

Unless you're on "LOL Cats," it's New Order Mormon, like everyone else said.

Date: June 22, 2013 09:58PM

No, my questions was, how do NOMs differ from JAck Mormons?
Many jack Mormons refuse to resign for cultural reasons, and some of them drink and smoke, etc. -- is that different?

Waaah, i'm so confused.

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 10:02PM

New Order Mormons don't believe. Jack Mormons just "sin."

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 10:01PM

I consider jack Mormons to be believers who are less faithful, while NoMs attend but are not believers.

Date: June 22, 2013 10:21PM

Ah, now I get it. Thank's everybody!

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 10:24PM

A) The cat's paw of the LDS Church used to push their anti-gay agenda without facing political and social backlash.

B) An Exmo without the balls to walk out the door.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 10:32PM

how does a nom differ from a jack ?

Date: June 22, 2013 10:54PM

From what I gather, a Jack is someone is basically a nominal Mormon who was born into a Mormon family, but never goes to church or bothers to heed the commandments, but who also has never explicitly disavowed the faith. They believe the Church is true, but they don't particularly care.

A NOM is someone who actively disbelieves the claims of the LDS church but still attends church and pretends to believe for social/family reasons.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 11:05PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2013 11:14PM by beyondashadow.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 11:06PM

Some members of my family would be considered Jack Mormons and they don't sin anymore than active card carrying Mormons. They just do not participate and they do not pay. Some don't know what Mormons believe, so they don't have a problem with history or doctrine. Some believe, but have better things to do on Sunday. Some know all the dirt and just haven't bothered to resign. They put on their shirt and tie and go to family blessings, baptisms, confirmations, fairwells and homecomings. They stand outside the temple when family members get married. They do all of that because they love their families. They just don't love the church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.