Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catwallada ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 06:47AM

I learnt that:
Soup, hot chocolate and boiled water are also against the word of wisdom and carcinogenic.
Tea is extremely addictive
The government are drug dealers for not making tobacco illegal
Tobacco and alcohol cause paranoia

ETA that should read "not making tobacco and alcohol illegal"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2013 08:06AM by catwallada.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 06:49AM

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 07:32AM

Date: June 23, 2013 08:03AM

I'm in the UK. It's even worse. Small children can get their ebil painkillers for free.

Posted by: smith ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 07:18AM

What about Joseph Smith having a bar in his house or Thomas Monson's addiction to diet coke?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 11:35AM

Diet Pepsi, silly. That's completely different.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 07:24AM

OMFG...

How fucking stupid...

You need boiled water for a million & one things...

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/bintangtimurfull/Facepalm/3Triplefacepalm.png

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 07:34AM

It's also one of the healthiest things you can drink. It has a lot of antioxidants and caffeine is an anti-inflammatory. Unless you put sugar or milk in it, it's calorie-free and fat free.

If we didn't have such good tap water, it would be safer than water because it's boiled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2013 07:35AM by axeldc.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 11:37AM

Agreed. And coffee is only addictive because it's like the best drink in the world. DW tells people I am "addicted" to coffee. I generally have two cups per day, three if I have elevenses.

To be fair, I am a proud coffee snob, always shopping for the right bean and carefully grinding and pressing my coffee just so.

Date: June 23, 2013 01:10PM

Everything pleasurable is addictive. That's why Mormons are terrified of enjoying themselves.

Posted by: satnam ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:19AM

Haha. I sat in on one of those lessons in the late 90s.

After the hot soup and cooking with grape juice instead of wine (I told them that was STUPID and would not be the same, and to use broth or water)the stupidest comment I ever heard was:

"Well...I work with a lot of...Mexicans...and they eat a lot of those jalapeno peppers (she did not pronounce it correctly)...and I think that those hot peppers cannot be good for you...so I think they would fit under the no hot drinks."

I kid you not. No one replied to that one but I saw nodding.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:45AM

Nonsensical and problematic health code + nutcase pharisee TBMs = absolutely idiotic comments in lessons.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:57AM

Don't forget that any alcohol use always leads to domestic violence. I was told this when I said that I enjoy an occasional beer. "I can't stand idly by and not inform you of this fact. Studies have been done at BYU that show this unmistakably."

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 10:58AM

and after about ten years they gave up and made it legal again. Probably few people today would hold prohibition up as a triumph of public policy (well, I think Joe Friday did once). The same logic could be applied to other drugs, but I'll leave that for another time.
And for what it's worth, the last state to ratify the 23rd amendment re-legalizing alcohol was--Utah.

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 11:16AM

My stepmonster makes nasty-ass potato casserole that she feeds my dad every sunday. It's made from freeze-dried potato slices, margarine, and cheez whiz (and I'm supposing a gallon of salt).

Both of dad's parents lived well into their late 90s, so if he's careful about what he eats, he'll be living a long time too.

But not eating her cooking.

Oh, and this is the same lady that made a big scene at my wedding, during the dinner afterwards. We had the waiters serve either champagne or sparkling grape juice to the guests (to accommodate the momos and nonmomos). When the waiter got to my stepmonster to fill her glass with sparkling grape juice, she conspicuously held her hand over her glass, and said something loudly enough that all the guests heard her, about avoiding the appearance of evil.

Needless to say, DW and I were mortified. What an embarrassment.

They should change the name from word of wisdom to word of dumb-dumb.

Oh, and to the poster that listened to a lady denounce "hot" jalepeƱos because she likened them to hot drinks, you should have taken her to this link:

http://www.oprah.com/health/Hot-Peppers-Dr-Perricones-Superfood-No-7-Superfood/2

(But I suppose that would do no good, there's a plethora of scientific evidence expounding the benefits of tea. But science rarely intrudes on the momo's thought process. Too bothersome I suppose.)

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 11:17AM

If the early Mormons would have drunk more tea and coffee, made
with boiled water, they would have had fewer problem with things
like cholera. The WOW to them was, in some cases, fatal.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 11:29AM

Just a thought. Tobacco is out but what about electric cigs? they don't have any tobacco in them.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 11:39AM

Like my dinner. I like my food HOT--drives my kids nuts how hot I like it. I guess that is against the WOW, too?

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 11:45AM

Question: How many overweight, obese, or even morbidly obese people have you seen in the temple and in leadership positions in the church? Answer: A lot. So drinking coffee is a sin but eating yourself to death isn't even on the list of wrong things to do (really?). How many church members only eat meat in the winter or when other food is scarce? It's like the subject line says "Absolutely insane".

Posted by: skeptifem ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 04:14PM

azsteve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Question: How many overweight, obese, or even
> morbidly obese people have you seen in the temple
> and in leadership positions in the church? Answer:
> A lot. So drinking coffee is a sin but eating
> yourself to death isn't even on the list of wrong
> things to do (really?). How many church members
> only eat meat in the winter or when other food is
> scarce? It's like the subject line says
> "Absolutely insane".

No one has shown that obese people actually eat more than normal/underweight people. There have been attempts, but most studies demonstrated that obese people at on average a bit less than other groups. No one knows how to make a naturally thin person fat or a naturally fat person thin.

I do agree that the fact that the WoW doesn't contain some kind of 'wisdom' about not eating crappy food is a glaring omission.

Posted by: Lydia ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 12:14PM

Thank you! My son, studying Biomedical science, is sitting here crying with laughter that boiled water is carcinogenic, literally crying and saying that is so stupid!
We are in the UK too!

Posted by: vh65 ( )

Well let's be honest, heavy regular alcohol consumption CAN make you feel paranoid. Big prob for alcoholics. Any caffeine is addictive - I NEED that morning infusion or I get terrible withdrawal headaches. Tea is much better than diet coke, though. Milder somehow.

But soup and boiling water????!!!

Somebody needs to read their church history on Sego Lily tea and JS's last supper of wine and tobacco

Date: June 23, 2013 01:16PM

Yes everything is harmful in excessive amounts but TBMs being what they are she probably considers people who only drink on their birthdays to be alcoholics

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 03:27PM

Try drinking a lot of water on a day you don't drink coffee. Coffee dehydrates you and that's part of what is causing the headache. I can skip coffee any day I want, if I just drink a lot of extra water. That being said, all people react differently so maybe I'm lucky. But maybe the water tip will help you too.

Posted by: sherlock ( )

I find all these TBM personal interpretations on the WoW hilarious. Next time you hear one just ask the person if they eat meat only in winter, cold or times of famine, if they drink mild barley drinks and use pure wine for the sacrament.

Usually at this point they're a little confused, so help them with one last point - ask them where they can find the written revelation that subsequently overrules Jesus's initial proclamation that the WoW isn't a commandment.

Muppets! They've no idea what their own scriptures actually say.

Posted by: Barnupcrik ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 01:38PM

Sure I drink coffee, but either you lie about keeping the WoW or God reneged on his promise . "And shall run and not be weary"!

Posted by: perceptual ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 01:56PM

There would be no confusion on this nonsense if God just spelled it out instead of saying "hot" this and "hot" that. Now it's like debating the 2nd amendment.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 03:31PM

the mormon cult is a carcinogen

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 03:34PM

catwallada Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I learnt that:
> Soup, hot chocolate and boiled water are also
> against the word of wisdom and carcinogenic.
>

Okay, the whole list is dumb, but help me with ^^ this ^^.

How are soup, hot chocolate, and boiled water carcinogenic?

And please tell me the comments were not from the person presenting the lesson and were instead the typical drivel from the audience?

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 03:39PM

I was sitting in a sunday school class in my byui student ward when we were having the Word of Wisdom lesson. The teacher asked why hot drinks are bad and seriously, it was dead silent for a good while. Then one guy starts going off about the temperature of food and drink being too much above our body temperature and harming our bodies by being too hot. Even as a convert I was sitting there thinking that everyone was going to jump in with the "dude, it just means tea and coffee, idiot," thing. No one did, so the member of the bishopric who was attending had to.

Posted by: nevermoaz ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 04:54PM

Wait, I thought hot chocolate was supposed to be okay because it wasn't coffee, tea, or soda? God Mormons are weird!

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 05:04PM

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 05:43PM

Had someone in class today claim that when the WoW said to use wine only for sacrament, it meant grape juice.

Also heard that JS saw into our day, and when he said pure wine, he meant pure food of every kind, because he saw all the additives that would be around now.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.