Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 09:45PM

All you folks in Utah look out your front window right now . . . they are still there, aren't they? Still hanging from the eaves and wrapped around the windows. Christmas lights all over the whole neighborhood, right? (Not turned on, of course).

When I visited SLC a few years ago in MAY, the Christmas lights were STILL there! On almost every house!! I asked about this weird phenomenon and was told it was too icy/snowy on the roofs to take them down over the winter. But isn't it icy/snowy in November or December when the lights go up? That answer didn't make sense to me.

In May it was coolish but the only snow I saw was up in the mountains.

So what's the deal you guys? Do you just keep 'em up all year long or what?

When I was a little kid, we used to make fun of any house that still had Christmas lights up well into Spring or Summer - we thought it was kind of a rednecky thing to do. (Not that I'm calling anyone a redneck, of course). heh.

Somebody please explain. This is a Mormon cultural thing that I don't understand. Thank you for playing.

Your Friend,
Shannon ;o)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 09:56PM

I don't get it either. Boyfriend and I live in Utah. We put the lights up after Thanksgiving, and take them down a day or two after New Year's. We did have to keep the lights up on the garage for a couple extra weeks this year, but that was because we don't have a ladder to get all the way up to the eaves, and it was too icy to get on the roof right after Christmas.

Not only do people leave the lights up, I've seen people leave them on and the tree up and lit until Valentine's Day.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 10:00PM

Well, Utah in January and February can be one dark, cold, gloomy place. Sometimes, I almost wanna open a vein, just to see a little color. (thank you Louis Black for that last).

We don't do outdoor lights because it's cold and dangerous. But if you get your lights up around the end of November/early December, there often hasn't been any snow in the valley yet. Or, it snowed and melted. The real snow usually starts in December and runs January and February, with the typical snow squalls in March.

I see those xmas lights all over, though. Dunno why? It's a hassle? :)

Personally, I do tend to use fairy lights all over my back yard, especially during the summer when we're outside all the time. They're nice, ambient light. But they also aren't xmas colors. :)

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 05:51PM

Posted by: esmaeblack ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 04:40PM

They are all too busy with their church callings to take them down. HA!

Ours are still up...sigh. It's my husband's fault. He's a lazy bastard. He puts them up in November before it snows but then doesn't take them down for months following Christmas. This year I told him to please not put up any lights outside but he didn't listen to me.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 05:40PM

Tell your hubby he makes you look bad to the tourists. <snicker>

;o)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2011 05:43PM by shannon.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 05:04PM

My in-laws leave their Christmas tree up all year long, in their living room. They change the decorations according to the season. Hearts in February, Flowers or easter ornaments in the Springtime, etc.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 05:50PM

I HOPE you aint makin fun of rednecks!! :)
but you have a LOT of fodder for that canon though, where you are from!! :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.