Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 11:22PM

"Elders, investigators will be coming to see every part of this
ward building. Do you want them to see a less-than-perfect ward
building? You need to get there at 7 a.m., right after your
morning scripture study, and clean that building from top to
bottom. Peoples' eternal salvation depends on it."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 11:31PM

Ever been to a Roman Catholic cathedral? Now THAT'S a church tour.

Why would anyone want to go to a church building with no architectural interest, no original art, and no stained glass windows? And to be shown around by people who are trying to sell you their religion?

Will they make female visitors wear dresses in the chapel?

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 03:56AM

imaworkinonit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Will they make female visitors wear dresses in the
> chapel?

LOL! Can you imagine them turning people away for not wearing a dress or not wearing modest enough clothing?? Can't wait to see that one creep up on the board!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 02:23PM

omreven Wrote:
> LOL! Can you imagine them turning people away for
> not wearing a dress or not wearing modest enough
> clothing??

I toured the Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris and noted their signs outside asking people to please dress modestly (I think they listed no shorts and no short/short skirts). I've posted before (and am still shy about it) that I seriously considered not going in because I was going commando underneath my decent-length dress due to some strange and raging infection I'd picked up while travelling (not STD!). Still, common sense prevailed (I figured God could see me nekkid anyway!) and I toured that amazing structure. Architecture and windows is right.

Unlike any ward building you'd like to name.

Not that I feel comfortable thinking of all the $$$ going into building and maintaining such edifices, whereas modest structures dedicated to worship are more my style.

But that's another story.

Still, I take the point that a tour of the ward/stake buildings would have done nothing for me as a potential convert, other than perhaps to reassure me that they are pleasantly demon-free, unlike the dire warnings of the fundy Christian crowd of my acquaintance, lol.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 11:34PM

My current church: http://christchurchcranbrook.org/

I'm going to laugh if any missionary asks me if I'd like a tour of the ward building.

Posted by: german lurker ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 12:17PM

i always loved the mystical and 'protective darkness' like in a womb or a sheltering cave.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p2SyCvQTmU
http://kinder.freiburgermuenster.info/

Posted by: Starry not signed in ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 02:08PM

Beautiful.... Love it German Lurker! I have always loved the German Cathedrals. They make all others look like Poor houses!! Btw my husband is German heritage 3 rd generation American.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 02:35PM

Based on your screen name, I'm assuming you are from Deutschland?

I have had the privilege of visiting Germany twice (with plans in the works to make a 3rd trip soon!) - I was able to listen to an organist at the cathedral in Worms practice the Prelude and Fugue in C minor by Bach - gave me chills! Even the small-town church buildings are beautiful in Germany!

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 02:59PM

Impressive. Looks like a nice place to live.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 11:45PM

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 01:59PM

Funny how you feel trapped in both.

Posted by: Starry not signed in ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 12:00AM

Sparty, what a beautiful church you attend. I'm currently attending Roman Catholic Church. When we travel we make it a point to visit the cathedrals. Both catholic and Anglican. It truly going to be sad for the Mormons, they have nothing , except of course a Mall ....

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 12:17AM

At least when you go into other church cathedrals etc. they often put Moroni and his teeny-tiny single trumpet to shame. Many of those big organs at least have numerous horizontal trumpets that really make the grandest heroic statement. All Moroni does is sit atop a Masonic Alcatraz - a multi-million-dollar International House of Handshakes holding a fake trumpet that can't even make a peep.

Posted by: Plexpo ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 01:04AM

Fantastic. "The building that houses MY delusional theology is much better than the Mormon chapels that house THEIR delusional theology." You've traded one delusion for another and just bragged about it on the interwebs...congratulations.

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 01:32PM

I have to agree with you, Plex. As much as I can find wrong with Mormon history, I can find wrong with Catholic and Protestant. I just don't get the need to trade one set of lies for another. A fancier building doesn't sell the lies better to me.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 02:42PM

How tolerant of other people. You disagree so you get to mock people.

Posted by: Plexpo ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 03:04PM

That wasn't mockery, just an observation. I was struck by the paradoxical nature of some of the above posts. They came across as rather glib. No need for hurt feelings...

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 01:25AM

'This is a classroom...... And this is another classroom.......Another one'.........yawn.

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 10:59AM

:)

Posted by: rgrraymond ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 02:43AM

Oh, and this is how we clean the toilets, Would you like to try?

Posted by: anon for this comment ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 02:51AM

And here's the kitchen we're not allowed to use, and the stage, that were not allowed to use, and this is chapel. If you get married, you're not allowed to use it.

This is the smelly mothers room, that NObody wants to use. Most mothers would rather go sit in their car.

This is the gym. It's really for receptions. Mostly the boys use it. I've never seen girls playing BB.

Usually the doors are locked. They decided to let you in to see this wonderful facility that mostly nobody is allowed to use for much of anything. Emergencies? Oh hell no! We don't allow that kind of trash in our buildings.

You see, it's mostly attorneys who run this building.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 02:57AM

"Wow, this is kind of spartan compared to other churches," the investigator remarked upon seeing the 7th framed faux oil painting hanging in the hallway.

"Well, we pride ourselves on being different from other churches. We don't spend money on frivolous things like stained glass or fancy furnishings," replied the young white-shirted missionary with a smirk.

"Really?" Inquired the investigator. "Exactly where do you folks spend your money?"

"Ummm"

Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 01:03PM

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 03:01AM

Will they allow a single woman to be alone in the building with two missionaries?

Will there be a limit to the number of people in group tours? People will be clamoring for these tours--especially gangs.

Will homeless people on the tours be able to stay longer, for a nap in the winter?

Will there be a security check at the door, in case a homeless gang-member wants to plant a bomb?

Can mothers drop off their children, unaccompanied, for a long tour of several hours?

Are pets allowed?

So many questions.....

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 05:33AM

Yeah, let's have some sister missionaries taking men through an otherwise empty building with lots of empty rooms and nobody else there. Nothing bad can happen when Mormon Heavenly Father (or is it Mormon Jesus?) whispers an inspired plan in the wiggling ear of His (or His) mouthpiece.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2013 05:34AM by Surrender Dorothy.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 08:23AM

Would the missionaries show a gay couple around the chapel?

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 08:27AM

and all they really want is for the members to do a better job cleaning the buildings, bonus if they get a few new tithe-payers in the deal.

Posted by: Hasteningthework ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 09:30AM

Your kitchens look like they are never used....hmmm

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 10:57AM

And your toilets look like they are never cleaned.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 11:14AM

Investigator to missionary: "OMG, that smell! Do you house homeless people here?"

Missionary: "No, our members volunteer their time as janitors."

Investigator: "WTF?"

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 11:19AM

In my experience mormon churches are the epitome of cinder block architecture. Who wouldn't be impressed?

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 11:43AM

So they are admitting the chapels were closed?

Because I remember the whole discussion yesteryear about why the hours of the Sunday services were not printed in the yellow pages like the other churches.

The answer was that the church prefers interested parties to be accompanied by missionaries, you know, so they can get the "full story."

There is nothing attractive about LDS chapels. I agree with Baura--this is an attempt to have yet another guilt stick to use to get the members to clean the place.

"INVESTIGATORS COMING THIS AFTERNOON!"

Which actually will mean that a mishie is showing up to wait to see if anyone comes for the "tour" which was announced only at church the previous Sunday.

Anagrammy

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 02:02PM

OMG I just had the best idea!!! Everybody show up for the tour with a venti from Starbucks!!!!!!

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 02:15PM

I wonder if they will ask people to cover their tattoos in the chapel.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 02:45PM

I walk through the churchyard of this CofE church twice a day. It was built in 1170
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad221/furterfan/church_zps7d711372.jpg

This is my local morgatorium
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad221/furterfan/chapel_zps4f225f99.jpg

which one do you think people would prefer to visit?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.