Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 11:04AM

...wasn't it traditional throughout history for most church doors to remain unlocked; mainly for the purposes of daily prayer, and for the sanctuary of criminals or asylum?

...the big Catholic church down the road is always open. I understand the Priest is somewhere on the property 24/7, but still, the Ward buildings are most often shuttered and locked.

...I guess if the Bld'g. is going to be "staffed" by a couple missionaries, then, OK, we can go ahead and have the facility open. Do I need to "book" a tour? Do I need to use Priceline? Orbitz?

...but wait...aren't there vindictive vandals lurking, teenage beer parties, an evening of debauchery, or unauthorized computer use? Sure, this happens every weekend at the other denominational church houses...they just don't report it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 11:15AM

Funny how the "abominable" "whore of all the earth" is such a better community member than the "1 true church"

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 09:07PM

I was in Nauvoo and there was the Mormon temple and one could not get in without a temple recommend. Almost next door was the Catholic Church, open for all. Which one was more Christian? Of course, the Catholic Church had a cross - rejected by moism. And the mormon temple had the upside-down stars and symbols of paganism and masonry. Which is closer to Christ?

The Mormon Church has been trying to take over Nauvoo but the locals are not converting.

Posted by: Boomer ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 06:35PM

A weird thing to me is that other churches have real web sites about themselves; the lds chapel in my city doesn't. Apparently members have to type in a number to get into it. Definitely not visitor friendly.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 06:50PM

It's not unwelcoming or secret or guarded, it's SACRED and SPECIAL and BETTERTHANYOU.

Also we don't want anybody to see it unhandled.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 07:09PM

The other thing is that even members aren't allowed use of the building, just to go into the chapel & pray & such.

Back when I was a Primary counselor, I ended up having to go to church unexpectedly to do some planning by myself. No one was around except for maybe a clerk from other ward, & 2 janitors (yeah this was when we still had janitors). Anyway, I had to go the chapel chart a seating arrangement for the Primary program that was a few weeks away. Whoever it was I ran into, who didn't know me, acted like I shouldn't have been there for any reason. (I could tell they didn't like what I was wearing, but that's another story.) They didn't tell me to leave, & I had every right to be there, especially to get my church related work done. The message was clear though - even members shouldn't be at church unless you're there for a planned meeting. The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth, & it was just another incident that reminded me of why I hated the church so much & wanted to leave.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 09:13PM

Other churches allow community organizations and so forth to use the building. Many allow families to use the premises for family gatherings. The church I attend in Darien even allows another congregation to use the building. The chapel is open every day for people to just walk in and pray or meditate. People can leave prayer requests if they wish. And people do.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 09:21PM

Of course, people in the cult use the building all the time - if they request to use it for receptions & parties & such.

They just don't like random people being there, you know, randomly, which is what I was seen as.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 07:10PM

nevermind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2013 07:11PM by blueorchid.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 08:17PM

...another poster mentioned "Masonic Alcatraz" as a term for the Ward Bldg's. Yes, that makes sense...and "International House of Handshakes" for the Temples....genius.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 09:18PM

If it really does happen, and if the LDS chapels really open their doors ("Visitors Welcome!"), there will still be the creepiness of missionaries popping out, shadowing you, wanting your address, and not leaving you alone. Think how it is when you visit the temple grounds. Even the crappiest of McTemples has a cadre of sister missionaries or old cranky people who pester you as soon as you cross over onto the property. It can't possibly end well.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 09:28PM

even on sundays the Mormon church in our neighborhood, has locked all of their doors. only one door remains unlocked so only a regular active member would know which door.

One time I arrived at the church to make my TBM mom proud. I pulled the door but it was locked and I could see tons of people inside. Then this man with a blue tooth headset on his ear came and opened the door. I said. "hey what's up with this door being locked, thatz not good". He said a GA was visiting. EVer since then they have kept the doors locked all the time. It really made me feel welcome NOT.

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 09:38PM

As a kid taking piano lessons, we couldn't afford a piano. I went every day after school to our Congregational Church and used the piano in the basement to practice. I don't remember anyone being in the building at all. That's pretty user friendly.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.