Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 11:41AM

A coworker and I were having on conversation on current movies.
We started talking about the new one coming out with Liam Neeson when our VERY TBM coworker turned around and exclaimed "I saw the commercial for that and then saw it was PG-13! I can see it! I was so happy I almost cried!"

My exmo coworker then told her that she could see an R rated movie, and promised that she wouldn't go to hell. He told her that it was written nowhere in the D&C. She retorted that "the prophet says we shouldn't see r-rated movies and I follow the prophet..." (at this point, she actually started singing "follow the prophet"!)

I'm amused and creeped out at the same time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2011 11:42AM by foggy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 11:43AM

Posted by: sisterexmo ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 01:21PM

She sounds like a little child repeating her programming - its very creepy.

I was in a car with a Catholic friend and one of her kids was singing "Eat his body, drink his blood."

OMG - Vampires and Ghouls

Posted by: allwhowander ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 11:47AM

I wish I had never had that experience, but too many simple conversations with mos have ended with them singing or humming that creepy tune.

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 11:50AM

Or is she trying to destroy the missionary program? If I were a nonmember, I would be thinking she's part of a Jim Jones cult or something like that.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 11:55AM

...child-like and childish.

Posted by: artvandalay ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 12:11PM

I would thank her for not trying to proselyte to you, but making sure that you knew that you were too different to ever be accepted in her church.

Get a little guilt going in her, Mormons are trained to feel guilty and it could have her sucking up to you for a few days.

Or you could make a comment about how much that song sounds like brainwashing. I used to pray as a missionary that the primary would never sing that song when we had investigators at church. Even then I knew that song was creepy and brainwashing.

Posted by: nomo moses ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 12:33PM

My TBM wife will not watch R rated shows with me, so that is what I do while not at church or on business trips. I borrow a lot of movies from by mom and son. My mom is TBM, but has always relied on the content instead of the rating of the movie. I don't care for excessive cursing in comedies, but love shows like The Pianist, that I borrowed this last weekend.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 12:34PM

It starts off with this kind of bullshit, and then it moves to every movie they DO see has to be filtered through the gospel, and all you get is an infintile moral critique of anything and everything.

One time a TBM went off on the movie Cast Away (and I'm not saying it was a great movie or whatever), but his rant was that Tom Hanks' character started talking to a beachball when he SHOULD HAVE TALKED TO GOD INSTEAD.

Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. I just walked away at that point.

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 01:12PM

You can not criticize that movie! That movie is awesome! That TBM is insane!

WIIIIIIIIILLSSOOOOON!!!!!

Date: January 25, 2011 01:14PM

And BTW some Mormons feel they can't even watch PG-13 because it might be inappropriate. My dad almost didn't let me watch Sherlock Holmes because of it's rating.

Sherlock Holmes!!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 01:33PM

Date: January 25, 2011 01:34PM

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 03:17PM

just sayin!! :)

Date: January 25, 2011 03:21PM

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 05:54PM

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 03:17PM

and more likely to talk back

Date: January 25, 2011 01:11PM

I don't care if it's Rated R. NO ONE is taking My Sweeney Todd away from me!

Posted by: nomo moses ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 01:27PM

My TBM SIL is about the worst I have ever met. She does not let her kids watch a lot of Disney cartoons if they show excessive skin. She hated Phantom of the Opera because of the naked golden statues. It's not wonder TBMs have body complexes and are afraid to show themselves, even to a spouse.

Date: January 25, 2011 01:41PM

A friend of mine wouldn't let her daughter watch princess and the frog because of the voodoo man and the shadows. Really? Really??????

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 01:45PM

There is something about it that upsets him, and I don't know what it is.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 03:26PM

Depending on the age of the kid, I would think twice about that too, and might not let a 3- or 4-year-old watch it. Just because they're still figuring out that what they see on TV isn't actually real.

Posted by: grateful ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 04:23PM

I wouldn't let them watch it simply because of the blatantly false stereotyping of just about everything in that movie.

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 01:48PM

Way back when the movie Ice Age was out, a family I knew was not allowed to watch it.The human baby they found had a dirty diaper which was the brunt of a joke. The parents said that it was not proper to watch humor about bodily functions.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 02:23PM

My TBM neighbor wouldn't allow her son to see Jurassic Park. When we went to see Ghost with she and her husband, she was upset she had seen it because she didn't think it was appropriate for her to see a movie she wouldn't allow her kids to see. Her kids rebelled BIG TIME.

Posted by: bookish ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 03:24PM

In the morning I would wait in my bed for my mom to come get me, because I was sure there was a raptor on the other side of the door.

Posted by: OSU ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 04:13PM

haha me too! The kitchen scene with the kids and two raptors was TERRIFYING for an 8 year old!

Date: January 25, 2011 04:37PM

I got to see Jurassic Park because I was 14...my younger sister was 12 and wasn't allowed to see it. (You have to be 13 for PG-13 movies, right?) Was she ever mad! And she rebelled and watched lots of rated R movies, of course. Good for her.

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 03:15PM

FOLLOW THE PROPHET, FOLLOW THE PROPHET, FOLLOW THE PROPHET, HE KNOWS THE WAY!!!!!!!

PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!

Posted by: NoTellin' ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 03:27PM

We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun....

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 03:35PM

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 03:36PM

Thanks - that helped.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 03:31PM

a comeback for next time: "Do you mean follow the prophet like Heber C. Kimball?"

... crickets ... crickets ...

"you know, give Joseph your wife and teenage daughter?"

Posted by: Symboline ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 03:40PM

My TBM sister freaked out because her kids saw a husband kiss his wife on TV. And this was the Waltons!

Whenever my eight-year-old nephew comes over, I would let him watch movies like Independence Day and Twister and Jurassic Park. He absolutely loves them!

Posted by: wjexmo ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 03:45PM

I remember in high school a group of my lds friends and I went to see saving private ryan (The first ever R rated movie for many of them.) Anyhow after the movie they must have felt guilty because the group immediately was discussing how strong the spirit was during the movie. Even though I was a TBN at the time I thought it ridiculous and a testament to how phony the notion of the "spirit" is

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 03:49PM

in the LDS world view (regarding movies), killing is ok, but sex is not.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 03:49PM

Wow, just wow.

Posted by: esmaeblack ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 04:14PM

I really don't understand why adult mormons aren't supposed to watch rated R movies! I don't want my little KIDS seeing a lot of violence, drug use, sex, swearing etc because I don't want them to imitate those behaviors, therefore I don't let them watch rated R movies. However as adults aren't we smart enough to watch a movie and NOT go out and snort a line of coke because it looked cool? I talk to mormons at work all the time and they'll say "Oh man, I really wanted to see that movie but it's rated R." I want to shake them and scream "You are 30 years old! You have been married for 10 years and you have 5 kids! It will be Ok if you hear the F word a few times!"

Funny story. When my husband was 19 (this was before I knew him) he was bored and took a road trip to visit some family members. While he was there he purchased a few DVDs, including a Rated R one. His parents were furious with the family members he was staying with who allowed him to buy the movie. Again, he was NINETEEN at the time. He had been living on his own for several months, had his own car, drove across the country by himself with gas he paid for by himself, and yet his aunt and uncle were supposed to approve his purchases at the store. Ridiculous!!

Posted by: transplant in texas ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 04:22PM

i hear you. that would have creeped me out when i was a TBM, my parents always watched the rated Rs going by content. i didn't watch alot of R rated ones but i did watch Jerry Maguire (i'm so ashamed) and Air Force One which was fun and a few others. my TBM SIL and bro watch rated R films all the time, they say the worst time to go to the movies in Provo is on sunday afternoons hehe.

dont worry, mormons like that keep people out of their cult. there was a crazy mormon lady at my job for awhile. she left 2 years before i was hired but everyone still talks about her and her "nutty religion"

Posted by: roflmao ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 04:23PM

Read the bible.

Hard xxx rating, in just the first few books, just saying.

Teenage sex slaves of war ravaged families, but you could say it's just a Bible story, tbms would all say it's fine

Ah me...

Posted by: Symboline ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 05:55PM

You're right there!

So many passages about sex, rape, murder... I remember passages about how God would make people eat and cook their own children for not obeying God, how God would "smear dung acorss the faces of priests" for not being righteous, and one memorable passage about baking a cake made of human faeces. The Bible is awesomely violent, and being a hardcore horror fan, I enjoyed it immensely!

Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 04:32PM

The best part of all that was these two facts.

A book of mormon movie would be rated R (at the least)

I have seen and done things in my military career that the movies will never live up to... yet people frowned at me when I watched a rated r movie that contained "graphics violence".

Posted by: roflmao ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 04:39PM

+1

And thanks for doing the Army for us too...

Date: January 25, 2011 04:54PM

+2 for the irony...

Posted by: OMG ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 04:40PM

So internet smut consumption per head of population is highest in Utah of all the US states. Who exactly is consuming all this stuff? Maybe it's OK because it isn't R rated!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.