Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 03:36PM

It was all over the news today before I left for work. I am suprised not to see it on the board yet.

I can't post a link from my phone. But I am sure it would be an easy hit on Google if anyone cares to oblige.

My never mo husband called me out to hear the story. I was frustrated by the terminology youth pastor. Not sure why I cared that they did not use youth leader.

As the previous target of unwanted advances from a Mormon leader, I supose I am sensitive to leader suppossedly called by God abusing the innocent.

What a sham what a shame.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NoTellin' ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 03:38PM

What the hell is a "Mormon Youth Pastor"?

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 03:40PM

Someone you don't want to be a pedophile.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 06:28PM

Most mainstream churches have a head pastor and others working under them. There is invariably a youth pastor who sees to the activities and mentoring youth. Normally he or she very professional and exceedingly helpful to the youth in the congregation, so unlike Mormon "leadership."

Posted by: NoTellin' ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 03:42PM

Ah, a Decon's quorum advisor then.

Asshole.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 03:54PM

"Mormon church officials expressed shock about Cassady's arrest and they're concerned about possible victims."

1) why are they shocked? Shouldn't the bishop have already known the heart of this guy? What is the point of spiritual gifts and personal revelation if you can't protect your flock from the wolves in your midst?

2) What is the source of your revelation if that source is directing you to place a pedophile in that calling?

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 03:56PM

truthseeker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.news10.net/news/story.aspx?storyid=1188
> 11

"Mormon church officials expressed shock about Cassady's arrest and they're concerned about possible victims."

Translation: Mormon church officials went into PR spin mode and decided that it would be best to characterize this as "shocking", as though they could have never guessed that this would happen, even though it has happened many times before.

They also decided that they should throw in some tidbit about concern for any possible victims.

They were hoping that this would put any victims as ease, making it easier to get them to work only with LDS leaders, forgive and forget, and not let this get out into the papers and cause more bad PR.

Happy with their work, they sent out the press release.

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 04:44PM

Are we to believe that the Bishop who 'called' this man misread the guidance of the spirit and heard "yes, give him the job with young boys" instead "no, don't let this man within a million miles of children and youths". Easy to confuse this two communications from the Holy Ghost...

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 04:45PM

Wow, I live very close to Sacramento; my kids go to their dad's ward in Sac. I don't know the guy as it turns out, but I have a son the age of the boys that scumbag was messing with. And someone (presumably in his ward) has already leaped to his defense in the comments: "Everyone makes mistakes, his just happen to be illegal".
No shit Sherlock!! Not to mention immoral, extremely damaging psychologically, mentally and emotionally for all his young victims! And his poor wife and baby, and all the damage control the Morg has started doing to pretend like they actually "care" about the victims. Sickening.

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 04:50PM

If the Church can focus the reports and discussions on the poor victims they can prevent someone asking the question "who let this man work with kids and what checks did they do?".

Ehrm, well, squirm, it was, shuffle, ehrm the Holy Ghost via the ehrm, squirm, sweat, cough shuffle, Bishop, who rem, shuffle, embarrassed silence, appointed him under, cough, swallow, shuffle, inspiration.

You what?

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 04:51PM

Check out the comments below the news story. Some of them are priceless examples of mormon guys excusing other priesthood holders for their "mistakes."

We are advised by one of Cassady's mormon buddies to refrain from judging him because "judging people is wrong." I've heard this before. If a priesthood holder does something wrong, especially if it involves sex, then we are immediately told that God will judge him and that it is not our place to judge.

I beg to differ. It is exactly our place to judge and to prosecute. Moreover, it should be our place to prevent such crimes by being more careful in selecting those who work with children and teens. Depending on promptings from the unholy spirit of mormon patriarchy does not count as being careful.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.