Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 06:12PM

I have very mixed emotions about this whole thing. Whenever I see my mother who passed on their ancestry site along with the names of my grandparents I cringe! Mom left the morg, but quietly (no resignation), thus she's still a member according TSCC. I did send in my resignation, along with the names of my than minor children (who also signd), but never received anything in the mail about it. I wouldn't doubt, once I die, I'm right up there with mom via death-dunked.
It's a sham, I realise, look at Lee, convicted of murder for the MMM and exed, yet a member again and resealed to his wives et al. I thought murder was a unforgivable sin??? But than Hitler et al is babtized and sealed. So the whole things, as I said is a sham, so why does it bother me?----it just does! And it should be against the law. That's why "Last Wills" are taken serious in a court of law. I believe I'll include that, adding the reason. Thanks for the reminder, Cheryl! Some ppl aren't bothered by the whole thing, but a great number are. I'm one of them, or else, why than even bother with any resignation?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 06:24PM

that I heard so often about, "don't worry we'll get you when you die anyway."

That remark started as a joke AGAINST the practice, but then was incorporated by Mormons to be "morally superior."

If it weren't for that, I probably wouldn't care at all. But it's the attitude that comes with it that now grates on me.

PS, for Matt. I did work for my own relatives. Dead dunked, washed and oiled up my hot body, endowments, and sealings. The whole kitty litter brisket. Or whatever.

Just so you know. I don't know if that "proves" or "means" anything. But you had mentioned that you'd never met a TBM that did work for relatives.

I did. And it was boring.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 06:40PM

that most of these rituals are submitted and done by non family members. I'd bet that Matt knows many who did this work but none who did it for family.

The same is true for me. My father might have submitted some of his family names, but most of the names he turned in were for non family members and none of us did work for any blood relations. I did dead dunking in Logan and Salt Lake for strangers submitted by strangers.

Date: January 25, 2011 06:42PM

But I did do some for relatives occassionally.

Either way it was boring, and I won't be doing it again.

Date: January 25, 2011 06:35PM

Mormons want their final wishes followed. They would expect nonmo adult children to have them burried in their temple clothes and to have their funeral in a mormon church or in a funeral home where mormons could give talks and where mormon hymns would be sung.

They'd cry out in horror if they knew their kids planned to put them in striped pajamas with no garments, have them cremented in a cardboard box and their ashes thrown into a dumpster.

Some people feel obligated to honor the withes of the dead and others don't. My husband doesn't care if he has a funeral or not and doesn't care about being burried or not.

He dead doesn't assume an artifical posture claiming moral superiority for his attitude the some do. He knows that others have a right to see this differently unlike many who say if desrespecting the wishes of the dead doesn't bother them it should not bother anyone.

Face it. Even though it does not bother mormon to disrespect dead non believers, it continues to bother others. Many many of them are much more offended by this than I am and I certainly do not like it.

Date: January 25, 2011 06:41PM

My wife and I are planning on donating our bodies to science. And we won't be doing a funeral. Just a wake.

While my in-laws aren't thrilled with this idea--they've shrugged it off because if life goes according to plan, they'll be dead before either of us will.

However, if tragedy strikes, I know it'll be a fight to have my/my wife's wishes respected if one of us corpses out before the in-laws do.

But whatever. That'll be a fight worth having because they weren't the ones who died, now are they?

Date: January 25, 2011 06:43PM

Someone wanted to know if a family is notified when their relatives are dead dunked or have other proxy mormon rites done to them. The answer is no, or at least, almost never.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2011 06:44PM by Cheryl.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.