Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 12:39PM

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/440407/buy-only-humble-cars-pope-francis-tells-future-priests-nuns

Francis, a moderate conservative elected by a conclave of cardinals in March, is planning a major overhaul of the Vatican bank and bureaucracy and has previously said he would like a “poor Church for the poor."

What a concept.

Anyone giving odds on how likely that message is to be voiced in General Conference?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dk ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 01:44PM

I think the mormon church already does this. They're called wards. The church sucks the money from the members making them poorer and gives the wards a mere pittance of the money back. The men at the top, well they don't count.

Posted by: Green Potato ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 01:54PM

"A poor church for the poor" could be another way of saying "all those riches we had pre-GFC are gone and the church is now poor. Better cut back on expenses in a way that makes it look like we are doing more for poor people, without having to give more money to them."

I believe that the pope is genuinely more Christ like than previous popes, but as yet I haven't heard anything that would convince me that significant portions of the wealth of the Catholic church is now going to be used to help the poor.

We all know that if TSCC has a major financial crisis they will push people to pay more tithing. If the next prophet decides to do more to help the poor, then he will ask for more tithing to build more of the temples that Jesus' sacrifice made obsolete. Either way, taxes go up and expenses do not come down.

Posted by: ddy ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 08:20PM

Green Potato Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "A poor church for the poor" could be another way
> of saying "all those riches we had pre-GFC are
> gone and the church is now poor.

Wait. Pre-GFC?

What does that stand for?

Pre-(G)uys (F)#cking (C)hildren?

Is that right?

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 01:55PM

This announcement comes on the heels of the ongoing investigation regarding money laundering by the Vatican Bank.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/07/08/312799/vatican-bank-tied-to-money-laundering/

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 08:13PM

Bingo.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 08:25PM

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CDgQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ndtv.com%2Farticle%2Fworld%2Fpope-francis-s-vatican-bank-clean-up-intensifies-amid-dirty-cash-scandal-387033&ei=rlfbUeiqH6KNigKe-IDYDQ&usg=AFQjCNGa-FfdqXRiohWFBYV3QRb_-sWytQ&sig2=XNne7v4bvCqkhPhargorRw

The pope is attempting to do something about this. Instead of bashing everything Catholics do how about giving him a chance. He has only been in office a few months. Geesh!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2013 08:26PM by bona dea.

Posted by: Um ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 02:04PM

I think you're being overly sensitive.

Posted by: ddy ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 08:29PM

Pope lover?

Whatever dude.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 08:34PM

Because now when people make priests-molesting-children jokes, people will have to respond, "Oh. That poor church."

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 08:40PM

My sister works for a Catholic Hospital and knows for a fact that the nuns have to submit in writing and in person to a priest for their most basic expenses and have them justified. I don't think there's any way nuns are driving around in expensive cars. Sheesh!

Posted by: southernutah ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 08:41PM

give the guy a break at least he is doing something , much better than any GA

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: July 08, 2013 08:49PM

When I was in Rome in 1995 I visited for the first time the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore. I was awe struck by the coffered, gilded ceiling and was touched by the pleas to donate money to renovate and reinforce this work of art. There was a whole presentation on the importance of the ceiling and how it was unique. What I didn't know and incidentally not denied, is that the gold was a gift from Isabella of Spain, and all of it originated from the New World. They needed to buy steel I beams to support the tremendous weight of the ceiling.

I get that this Pope is probably sincere, I just have a very hard time forgiving the Pope's church. Especially in light of the fact that they don't seem to be that penitent.

http://www.romanhomes.com/your_roman_vacation/quarters/monti-basilica-st-mary-major.htm

Posted by: I believed this all, once... ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 10:12AM

"Made with the first gold collected from the Americas" - nice turn of phrase to erase the massacre of the native peoples.

"Poor church for a poor people" - oh, please. They are tired of being sued is all.

Posted by: happyhollyhomemaker ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 02:25PM

IDK...I'm not a RC, but it seems like this pope is taking out the trash. He wears some old boots he's had forever, complains rather loudly about the cumbersome and utterly useless gold brocade on his robes, which apparently offends the hell out of the likes of Gucci and Prada. (As though they were some kind of authority on Catholicism)
He doesn't appear to be all that well liked by catholics on the forums, who shred every move he makes. Apparently, being a pretty humble guy from a ludicrously poor country isn't going over well with the rich and very shady a$$ kissers, who try to butter up the pope with extravagant gifts. He seems to spend most of his time trying to avoid being the revered pontiff, and more time contemplating the wrongs of those who have abused their authority, and ways to make sure that penance is paid, as well as just being with the people. Seriously, the dude has access to over 30 cars and could make anyone drive him wherever he wants to go in Rome, but he rides the bus?? I have to admit, even I was pretty surprised by that. Whatever happened to the pope-mobile?
His whole attitude and his encyclicals reflect his respect for the poor, so it really wouldn't surprise me if he liquidated the entire Vatican's assets, save the education centers and the historical society...he might liquidate them too but imo, that would cost the world a lot of knowledge that they're still working on putting into digital format! It would be tantamount to losing the great library in Alexandria!!

his concern for the poor doesn't surprise me about him because he has always seemed like the kind of guy who genuinely cares for the poor, and I do hope that he will continue to clean house, no matter who it upsets, and it will upset a lot of people.

Posted by: fiona64 ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 02:32PM

+1 I was in Paris when his election was announced, and in Rome when he was inaugurated (this was all entirely coincidental, FWIW). He went and paid his hotel bill in person, to the consternation of the Vatican staff ... on the grounds that he was the one who incurred it. He talked to regular people. He refused to wear the huge red robes, etc., and came out for his first official greeting in a simple cassock.

Pope Francis is different from any pontiff we've seen in my lifetime ... in a good way.

I wholeheartedly concur that he's cleaning house ... and the upper echelons of the hierarchy don't like it.

Posted by: excatholic ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 03:46PM

He's nominally less loathsome than some of his predecessors. But here he's canonizing John Paul, Defender of the Pedophiles. And going after nuns for their focus on charity.

When he starts selling off priceless art treasures and the vast real estate holdings of the church, then it might be worth listening to him. Until then, same old, same old.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.