Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: antimarkite ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 11:50PM

It's been five months since I figured out the church is a sham (putting it kindly). I've been keeping it to myself for certain reasons. It has been hell. So I had lunch today with an old friend (nevermo) who I see only occasionally and decided it was time. So I said it. "I don't believe in Mormonism anymore." His jaw dropped. I haven't felt this good in a long while. It felt great to say it!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: earlyrm ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 11:56PM

Been 5 months since my big moment too. It feels great to say the truth out loud.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 02:43AM

That's cool and good for you. As a nevermo myself I have yet to hear a Mormon person say what you did, but my daughter's good friend in school and a devout Mormon at the time is definitely NOT anymore - swears on facebook, etc. and never talks church at all. I am happy for her too. I knew she was too smart to keep going with it.....a really brilliant girl....perhaps it was her hubby who helped her.Also her group of friends has now changed drastically. So she quit just after my daughter joined up. Go figure. They were not living near one another. I can only hope she will wise up too. Now, go out and shout it to more people why don't ya? Good luck in your new life.

Posted by: antimarkite ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 10:42AM

Not so simple unfortunately. Got to go this alone for a little while longer.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 05:39AM

The need to talk to like minded friends is why we have exmo gatherings and conferences. Have you tried attending?

If not, at least you can share on RfM. You're not alone.

Posted by: Paint ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 10:48AM

It does feel great and the more you say it the easier it is. When I first said it out loud I was sure there would be a bolt of lightening striking me dead. There wasn't! Happy day!

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 10:49AM

right on!

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 12:28PM

Feels good, doesn't it?

I told my nevermo brother who has always been able to see the church for what it is - a cult- and, in spite of his feelings towards(against) the church, he was very supportive and was able to recognize and empathize with the emotions that I was feeling. He recognized how difficult it is to abandon all of the emotional investments that we make for the church.

Whereas, telling another mormon about our "crisis of faith", would just lead to judgement and shunning.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 12:33PM

Well done! I remember the first time I said it out loud, too - about two weeks after I left, to my best friend (who, at the time, I had just met). Feels liberating to know that someone else knows, doesn't it? :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.