Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: July 10, 2013 08:13PM

I have a question about this statement

"Not only did the underwear look stupid and offer no support, but a man's genitals were totally visible--hanging southward, they were--and supported only by the inside of the pants you put on."

Did you have to wear it during baptisms for the dead too?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 05:18AM

Ew I hope not.

Posted by: anon4this ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 09:37AM

+1

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 10:20AM

Yes, you did. I keep trying to remind people with this post that THERE WAS NO CROTCH in these garments, being just to halves (a leg, body, and arm, connected at the back) that you got into and then tied with about 5 or 6 ties that began at the neck and went down to the lower belly. Then nothin. No fabric at all.

The only time I went baptising with them, we wore briefs over them. But yeah, you had to wear them for every ordinance in the temple if you had had your endowments.

Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 05:07PM

Your post has made me laugh so hard. In the lds temple were everything suppose to be covered from the risk to the ankles they forgot to cover the crotch area. Sorry I am not laughing at you, once again the church makes no sense.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 05:13PM

Makes one wonder what the person who designed them had in mind. Hummm.

Posted by: Hayduke ( )
Date: July 12, 2013 12:21AM

Double ewwww!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 10:57PM

Although this thread got a lot of comments, its really a bit of a bust because only a couple of people seem to remember the old ordinance garments. We've all gotten just a bit too old, I guess.

Just another comment about them, though. One friend of mine went to the temple with me and he had button-up ordinance garments, and they DID have a normal crotch in them. But he said that the temple workers didn't like it when you wore them while performing "initiatories." Back then, after they anointed you, the ordinance workers "placed" the garment on you (whether for your own endowments or doing it for someone else), and tying the ties was a simple task for the old geezers, but buttoning them up for you was irritating and inconvenient.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 11:01PM

I went through the first time in 1970, so I got in on the wearing of the full-length Jesus Pajamas with the string-ties up the front. It was fairly soon after that when they changed it to being able to wear your regular ones in there. At that time though, even the "street garments" for men were onesies. All one piece that you stepped into through the neck and wiggled into.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2013 11:02PM by rationalguy.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 11:25PM

They had just stopped requiring you to wear the long to the wrist and ankle garments the year I went through the temple for the first time.

I remember being grossed out by the HUGE old mans garment they had me wriggle into when doing initiatories. They were kind of yellowy but they smelled clean. They were made of nylon and I had to step waaaaay down into them then pull them up and they hung to my mid calf while the crotch was at my knees. And I had to wriggle into them while being covered with a large white blanket pancho called a "shield".

I didn't do "initiatories" very much.

I also remember the temple matrons being scandalized that we would want to wear our "street" garments that had; gasp! SQUARE BACKS INSTEAD OF 'VEE' BACKS! We we obviously rebellious!

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 11:33PM

It seems to me that MORmON temple garments always started/ tried to go exactly where they should have been put..... their journey just needed to be applied to somebody else, some TBM or GA who actually liked and/ or advocated the damn things, and then their journey should have been completed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-w0caqMGsw

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2013 11:46PM by lucky.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.