Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: michael ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 11:31AM

I'm going to be taking my first real trip in 6 years and am heading to Northern Ireland via Dublin. While my first day or so will be in Dublin in the recording studio, I was wondering, other than the Giant's Causeway and the 2-day open-air bus tour, what people here would recommend I do for the five days I'm actually in the Belfast area.

Oh, and just for giggles and grins, I found a place to stay for free with someone who has the same exact name as me - LITERALLY! He's a voice actor and an actor who hopefully will take his most recent show to the West End in 2014.

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 11:49AM

But I will be paying attention to the responses, for one day too, I might be fortunate to go to the land of delicious whiskey.

Posted by: dit ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 11:58AM

Couchsurfing? How fun! I'm jealous too!

Posted by: Darkfem ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 12:30PM

You could visit the old Bushmills Distillery, which is in Antrim I think. It's a working distillery so you can see whiskey-making as it happens and then sample their wares and hang out in the restaurant. It's worth checking in advance to make sure they haven't closed for the day because of some obscure reason only the Irish comprehend.

http://www.bushmills.com/downloads/Bushmills_Distillery.pdf

Posted by: rachel1 ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 12:42PM

You should check out the Jameson Irish Whiskey distillery in Dublin while you're there! Hubby and I were supposed to go a few years ago but alas, plans fell through. :(

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 01:06PM

I'm jealous as well. When we traveled in the UK in 2004, we had our four sons with us, only had a day trip via ferry to Dublin, and we were TBM. I need lots of do overs in my life!!

Posted by: xnorth ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 01:33PM

Ooh, that sounds awesome. I haven't spent much time in that area, but I'd like to. But if you decide to venture further south, I've got plenty of recommendations.

Date: July 11, 2013 02:30PM

I ended up traveling to "The House That Dragons Built" and had a cuppa tea with the late, beloved Anne McCaffrey.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 01:41PM

The only other things I could add to your trip would be:

1) Cliffs of Mohr. Wow.

2) Guinness, of course.

3) Wander. Get a car or a scooter or something and see the countryside. Find some cool places to eat. Be friendly with people you meet in pubs.

3a) Instead of wandering by car, take a few days or a week and walk the Waymarked trails. It'll be a slight bit more desolate, but trips like that give you an insight into the area that you wouldn't have otherwise.

Date: July 11, 2013 02:28PM

is closed in November. I tried doing that the last time I was in Dublin, but thanks.

My host may have a car when I arrive there, and I'll be arranging to get an IDL so I can drive over there (on the left side of the road, of course).

Cliffs of Mohr are at the wrong end of the country, but thanks for the suggestion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2013 02:29PM by michael.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.