Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 01:14PM

I was trying to google a speech my SP brother made a few years back when he spoke at an event with Packer and Hinckley about handcart pioneers, but couldn't find it; however, I found a BYU Universe article about it, wherein the reporter paraphrased my brother's speech and made it appear that my family, old die-hard Episcopalian New Englanders (with a few noteworthy clergy), originate from the "...pioneers of the New England era of the church."

Hijacked! I am sure that my brother made it clear that they were NOT LDS, but the article sure makes it appear that they were (although I wouldn't be surprised if he just let it "hang in the air" that they were probably converts at some point).

Sorry this post wasn't written too well--I'm just steamed that my family history got twisted by a TBM writer!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 01:23PM

That would make me steamed also. Hmmmm....Mormons misappropriating. Why does that sound familiar?

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 01:24PM

There must be something in mormon DNA that promotes making exaggerated claims and twisting facts to further a spurious cause.

Mormons don't like to deal with facts and truth...it forces them out of their comfort zone.

Posted by: dit ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 01:25PM

sheesh, they'll stop at nothing...

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 02:42PM

That won't be the third time mormons re-wrote history.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 10:47PM

There's probably a formal name for this logical fallacy, but it goes like this: "It is such a beautiful truth, so it must be true." Mormons love that people from very diverse cultures and nationalities have subscribed to their doctrine joined up. To get those flint-jawed New England Puritans into the tent would be a beautiful thing, indeed.

It should have happend, and it might have happend. That makes it good enough to include in the larger mythology.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.