Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Keith Vaught ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 01:57PM

Six months after I resigned, my adult DD followed my example and did the same. Seven years later, she told me she had started attending a local ward and was going to be re-baptized and that she felt happy in this. It was a very difficult time for me. Instead of attending her baptism, I spent part of the day at a popular garden in SLC. Getting outdoors is a favorite activity and a coping mechanism for me. It's been a year. I think that DD rejoined for social reasons. If it makes her happy, then I can accept it, but, oh my, the cognitive dissonance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: emma ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 02:24PM

I am sorry. This has got to be devastating to have your child leave and then rejoin. It makes me wonder why she resigned the first time. Is she possibly going back for social reasons?

Posted by: emma ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 02:25PM

This will be held up as a faith promoting story and give all those mormons hope that even people who resign will come back. Not good.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 02:37PM

I just had a similar experience. I was talking to my mom the other day and she mentioned that a friend of mine had just gotten rebaptized. She said that she didn't know that he had been unbaptized. This actually made me happy since it meant that the gossip in that ward doesn't seem to be very effective. He had been excommunicated about 20 years ago for being gay. I haven't talked with him in nearly a year, but hope to soon. He's just moved back in with his very elderly father, and I hope his rebaptism is just for his dear dad's sake.

I still have many good friends who are still in the morg, and the only reason that I would ever, ever go back would be for social reasons. I won't ever, though.

Posted by: lostinva ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 04:15PM

fossilman, what are the circumstances of this gay friend reactivating? Is he older? My guess is that if he is older, his sex life is on the wane and he never really stopped believing in TSCC after he was kicked out. I suspect that might be the rationale. There are quite a few gay mormons that put on blinders as they are still very programmed, and haven't actually divorced the mormon church. Their apostacy is really just bitterness that is replaced with reactivation when they think their best days are behind them and there's nothing better to do. IMHO it's shameful that they feel that way, but as we've all discussed here old habits are hard to break.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 02:43PM

but we were inactive and she was VERY ANTI for a while. She was more anti than any of the rest of us.

Then one day out of the blue--I can still remember the stoplight I was at--when she let me know she had gone back. She is over the top TBM. It has taken years for us to come to a happy medium--BUT every now and then she lets me know I'm failing her by not going back, that I'm a bitter old angry exmo. Last time she did that, I told her if I'm that miserable to be around, to please stay away from me. She was brokenhearted that she had hurt me as bad as she did. Things have been better since then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2013 02:43PM by cl2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.