Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 04:31PM

Every Thursday evening at 8 pm my local village church, which has a fine set of bells, hosts campanologists from around the region who rehearse the most amazing creations. Some days are better than others but tonight the sound was extraordinary. A lovely sunny English day, everyone enjoying evening in the garden, to the sound of the bells.

I am uplifted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k530Ca3hkdQ

Briggy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 04:41PM

I do, and I'm most certainly not religious ;)

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 04:44PM

I used to live in a small town in the midwest. I loved hearing the bells every Sunday morning.

I've always thought the mormon church was so boring because they won't have bells. That and many other forms of musical instruments that are banned from their buildings.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 04:49PM

Love the bells! (am not religious)

Posted by: Good Witch ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 05:17PM

Love it! When I lived in Germany, I could hear the bells every Sunday. No bells here. :(

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 05:44PM

When I lived in Germany I loved them as well. And not religious here.

Posted by: freckles ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 07:22PM

Same here, there was a church just down the road from us in Germany and every Sunday, you could here the church bells. Beautiful. We lived in Augsburg.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 05:21PM

Yes. I hear them every day.

Posted by: ananke ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 05:22PM

Not religious at all, but I love church bells. I also love stained glass and other forms of religious art. I suspect the human affinity for beauty is the source of religious impulses rather than the result.

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 05:46PM

Love church bells too...and not religious presently.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 05:48PM

I used to live by a university that had Carillon Bells and one of the professors used to play them at noon on some days. He happened to be one of the most famous LDS organists.
It was lovely.

Posted by: Darkfem ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 05:49PM

I went to school on a campus where the math building was an old bell tower and they chimed every 15 minutes. Every day at noon, the bells would peal a song. My favorite was "Flinststones, meet the Flintstones." I still miss those bells.

Posted by: southbound ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 06:15PM

I do. Very seldom do I get to hear any, though.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 06:57PM

Yes, usually. I like it when the bells are rung on occasion, but not hourly.

I recently watched an episode of "Midsomer Murders" that focused on village bell ringers. Fascinating!

Posted by: happyhollyhomemaker ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 07:07PM

I truly miss the sound of the church bells marking the hours. At 7pm, for some reason, there was always a different composition lasting for about five minutes, and it was very cool. They played different songs marking different occaisions. On the 25th anniversary of the release of star wars, they played the star wars theme song, which was very cool. When Prince William and Kate got married, they played "Rule Britannica!" I just thought it was cool that they used music to mark events, and solidifying them in our minds, and how amazing it was that they could do that with a set of church bells! :)

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 07:13PM

When I was in high school, I lived near a string of old stone churches in Pittsburgh. The bells were beautiful when they rang. I also lived near the bell tower at BYU, but it wasn't the same.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 07:18PM

I like them as long as they are bells and not a pre-recorded fake bell (sound out of a speaker system)

Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 07:18PM

Yes, very much so! I grew up listening to them, and I visited my old home grounds 2 weeks ago, and one of the first things I heard sitting in the old Catholic church was church bells from 2 local churches, vying for attention! It was absolutely beautiful and filled me with a sense of peace.

Posted by: holistic ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 07:23PM

I do too and am not religious. I also like to see people united and that is one good thing religion can do. I love singing music too and that is something I miss. I live in AZ and don't know like anyone so that was a good thing church helped with but then too many people is overwhelming too. I went to BYU-I and loved hearing the bells while I was out walking at the top of each hour- so beautiful. I wish there was a happy medium, like drop all the bs and call it what it is - a spiritual place and then I would consider being part of the tribe again. Until then I am sort of laughing in the background- photo bombing

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 07:47PM

I do, and I'm not actively religious. To me, that was one thing I missed in the Mormon church.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 07:52PM

I got sick and tired of the bells on my European mission. I found them very annoying.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 07:56PM

I live in the burbs in Utah, so I rarely hear church bells. Sometimes I'll hear them when I visit a city and I really love the sound. I have never attended a church that had bells, so the sound doesn't have religious connotations for me, they're just part of the sounds of the city.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 08:01PM

I like them. Of course it depends on what time it is! In Mexico when I was staying there for work, they'd start pealing a bit earlier than I'd like. Makes an excellent alarm clock.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 08:07PM

Yes, but only because it reminds me of 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' from Metallica

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 08:55PM

The Nine Tailors, a Lord Peter Wimsey mystery.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 09:10PM

Is there any sound more joyous than the peal of church bells? When WW2 started in 1939 it was decided in Britain that the church bells would remain silent until victory was declared...a decision spontaneously reversed when after so many setbacks Montgomery achieved victory at the battle of El Alamein...bells all over England burst into life. Just Google Google English Churchbells for a sample.

Posted by: richardthebad (not logged in) ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 09:44PM

I hear two different churches pealing every day when I walk to my mail box. It always puts a smile on my face.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.