Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: woodsmoke ( )
Date: July 11, 2013 05:38PM

Charles: You mistakenly assumed that because I said what I did, I am Christian or believe in God myself. I do not and I'm not sure where you got that from my statement; that was a false assumption on your part. I'm actually pagan, not a Christian bone in my body, and so of course I don't believe in the Bible. What I was saying was that I USED to feel that atheists "worshipped" science, when I was first exploring the world beyond the religions I'd been raised in. This belief was partly prejudice on my part from being brainwashed, and partly because many atheists that I personally knew would say things like, "I don't believe in God. What I believe in is science." I always struggled with statements like that because scientific inquiry, like religion, is conducted by fallible human beings. Human beings are obviously biased in what they study and how they study phenomena, and many mistakes have been made. Pseudoscience has been used to justify everything from racism and sexism to homophobia. Now I have worked through a lot of my confusion in this area, but I do agree with some of the other posters in the thread that some of the misconceptions about atheism come from statements about it from individual atheists themselves. Individual atheists can be irrational, led by emotion, and can make false statements about "absolute truth" just like anybody else, which can lead to misconceptions. It doesn't mean that that says anything about atheism, it simply says something about those individuals.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.