Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 09:18AM

so I said to a friend of mine the other day:

atheism is a religion, the same way abstinence is a sexual position.

this sparked a debate, he said:

- atheists believe there is no god.

I said:

- atheists don't believe in god.

I think there is a difference in those two statements and how our brains process them.

A true believer can't process the second statement because it is founded on the premise that there is no god to begin with and his existence must be proven.

eventually my buddy said by his definition abstinence was a sexual position, we also agreed that car companies were missing a marketing opportunity to call reverse and neutral a 'speed' thereby selling 7 speed transmissions instead of 5 speed.

it can be fun to argue the definition of words :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 09:37AM

Sounds about right.. ;)

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 09:45AM

What material, visible, identifiable difference does 'God' make to the people on this planet?

If people are atheist does God stop loving them?

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 09:57AM

I should be struck down by lightning by now

I have used The Lard's name in vain at least 8,593,467 times.

The sonuvabitch is a coward...

Posted by: braq ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 12:36PM

It all goes to a commonly accepted definition. There is no definition of God or the lack there off that will be accepted by both camps. As such, each camp will argue their "proof" off their definition.

Folly.

Don't waste time trying to convince people who believe different than you over something that can't be proved.

Posted by: theraven ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 12:49PM

The debate was not about the meaning of the word "God," but about the meaning of the word "atheist."

Posted by: testimonyman ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 12:52PM

I don't believe the topic should be debated. Let each person believe what they want and show them respect.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 11:04PM

I know you mean well but it comes across as a bit highhanded. Unilateral respect is just about all one can expect. I would love to live and let live but I am part of a society that values deistic justification over logic and reason.

No government gives up their weapons while they still have enemies.

Date: July 15, 2013 03:46PM

by that argument we should respect people that believe in the easter bunny

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 11:14PM

An absence of a belief does not constitute a belief.

Date: July 15, 2013 11:18PM

To be fair, I at least, actively disbelieve in all gods that I am aware of. I hold no position on the gods that I am unaware of, both states are godless, one is active while the other is passive.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 11:19PM

Maybe I'm more of an agnostic but I don't believe or know there is no god. I can't say there is no god, I just don't know if there is and I see no reason or evidence to believe in him at this point.

If someone said, do you believe there is a monkey living in your backyard? I would say no, as I have no reason to believe it since a) I live in California and b) I have seen no physical evidence of it.

I'm not saying its not possible or that I KNOW for sure there are no monkeys hiding back there, I just don't believe they are. I'm certainly open to it, but I simply need better reasons to believe in it before coming to that conclusion.

Posted by: mostcorrectedbook ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 11:23PM

I prayed thousands of time to this God, and He never bothered to show up and say hi to me.

That's my perspective.

There is no point arguing on terminology and word games. God is what He is.... created in Man's image of power and ideals. Sadly, also used as a TOOL to control others by fear and intimidation.

God is guilty of mass genocide, plural marriage, obfuscating "religions", dead-beat father, favoritism ( read starving children), fickle-minded, etc

Just like Mormonism, its easier to admit He may not be "true" after all. That would explain all the discrepancies.

Perhaps we had the powers within us all along.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2013 11:25PM by mostcorrectedbook.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 11:36PM

I spend very little time not believing in God. My non-worship is enacted primarily here on this board writing posts like this one. Or could it be that I spend almost all my time not having God on my mind? Hmm.. there's a thought.

It's been so long since I was religious that I can't even remember what I was thinking to convince myself. It seems so much like mythology now, though I realize a mythology is just an obsolete religion and people were really, really sure those were true too at one time.

I think these definitions of believing there is no god or lacking belief in a god are confusing only to people who want to be confused. Being an atheist for me means that gods are completely absent from my world view. My son and I order each other around saying "Jesus wants you to make your bed!" and "Jesus wants you to get me some ice cream!" It's so ridiculous, I have no idea why anyone would believe in something so obviously made up.

So yeah, maybe I believe there is no god. Whatever, man. Who cares. ;)

I suppose not every square inch of the North Pole has been searched to prove conclusively that there is no Santa Claus. Maybe I should say that I lack belief in that being too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2013 11:38PM by Makurosu.

Date: July 15, 2013 11:38PM

Good one Makuroso!
"Mythology" is the right word.

Posted by: perceptual ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 11:40PM

There is a very big difference; belief in something is closer to religion than not a belief in that same thing.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 11:42PM

Theists can not process the second statement "atheists don't believe in god" because they think you must replace the belief in God with some other belief.

How many times have we atheists heard, "Well, if you do not believe in God, what do you believe in?". Clearly in such a mind, the belief in God MUST be replaced with the Easter Bunny.

Date: July 15, 2013 11:48PM

Occasionally after I tell someone I don't believe in god they will ask: Do you believe in a higher power?

I have come to think that some theists think that atheists are egotistical. They cannot comprehend someone embracing the power of individuality.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 11:52PM

That has been done on this site often...defining terms. I really don't care what others think....to me atheism is a state of mind....not a religion.

Date: July 15, 2013 11:55PM

Sure......but, it's not a religion because it's a state of mind. It's not a religion because it's not a religion.

Date: July 16, 2013 12:35AM

Here we go again. What's the point of wrestling with words and definitions?
What next? Find the right word in Finnish?

Posted by: Lasvegasrichard ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 12:05AM

Maybe whether there is a God or not is really irrelevant . Humans by nature become bored fairly easy . So if this world is a pre-programmed amusement park ride , most of us might actually get mad at the ride operator if he were to suddenly just put on the brakes and stopped the ride.

Posted by: Cowboy Jesus ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 12:20AM

In the tailspin of my disaffection I had to come to terms with god. If he was there I had no way of knowing. There are feelings but feelings can be manipulated. In the end my honest conclusion had to be I don't know. There probably isn't a god.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 12:25AM

I believe that your belief that my lack of belief is religious, is a religious belief.

Date: July 16, 2013 12:53AM

nicely said :)

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 01:06AM

Accidental chiasmus. We're all prophets now

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2013 01:46AM by ladell.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 01:10AM

The problem with messing around with words and their definitions is that words MEAN things. In order to communicate, we agree together what a word means. We can't just go using them however we want, or they lose their usefulness. If he wants to define the word "religion" as "any group of like-minded people," then the word "religion" is no longer a useful way of referring to a group of people who attend meetings and/or preform rituals together to worship a supernatural being. And since that's what most people are referring to when they say the word "religion," carrying on communication with normal people who have a normal definition of the word becomes much more complicated.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 03:30AM

...for people like your friend is that if not believing in God is a religion then not collecting stamps is a hobby.

But few theists can make that mental shift of perspective.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.