Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 10:31AM

We all know about the temple prayer roll and how, in the true order of prayer, we pray for 'those whose names lie upon these altars' so that they may be healed from their sickness or other affliction.

Before going into an endowment session you can put names on the prayer roll. You can even phone them into a temple.

Did you know, however, the First Presidency have a special roll to pray over. Not for the mere plebs of the church, but for those more connected with the special brethren.

On 2 separate occasions a GA phoned me to say my wife's name was on the 'First Presidency Prayer Roll' for their Thursday meeting in the SLC temple. Wow, how grateful we were that the Prophet and his counsellors would pray for her. Of course she would get better.

After all, God is no respecter of persons. It is a question of who you know baby.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pewsitter ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 11:24AM

I know a guy who is married to one of the Huntsman daughters and he submitted the name (female) of one of the oil wells he invested in that was in financial distress. It seems like the Mormon god has time to solve financial problems if you can get the GA's to pray for your investments.

This same guy was on the High Council and used to go around preaching about how god would bless you financially if you were worthy like he is. Of course he married into money and his wife's yearly trust fund is larger than what he makes.

OP is correct, god is not respecter of persons as long as you marry into a Rich Royal LDS family.

I have lost my tooth brush. Do you think the alien Mormon god will help me find it? I need to go scrub the toilets so the high and mighty can think the big thoughts.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 01:09PM

I'm almost positive that I, along with my apostate siblings, have been on the prayer rolls courtesy of my TBM parents. Even though they haven't specifically told me this, I have no doubt this is the case. I realize that they believe it's a caring gesture on their part, however, I can't helped but be bothered by it. It may give them false hope that the "spirit" will be the one and only possible thing that would help me to re-convert. I have images in my head of hands moving up and down reciting creepy lines with my name right in the middle of it.

To comment on your point of what a blessing it would be to have the first presidency do the praying, seems to a TBM like a sure fire way of having prayers answered. Theoretically they could make some good coin soliciting names to go on their list.

I recall your Dehlin interview, I was quite impressed when you said you declined an offer to have a blessing done by a GA, when instead you opted to have your home teachers do it as that would be sticking to the correct channels and having an understanding that god is no respecter of persons. That alone tells me of your personal integrity and that you're an authority on this particular topic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2013 01:10PM by Mormoney.

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 01:13PM

Thank you Mormoney.

Tom

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 01:14PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2013 01:14PM by steve benson.

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 09:26AM

Now, that I would show up for.

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 12:54PM

hahahah...judging by Tommy, Wirthlin, and a few others, I'd say that was proly true.

Posted by: bizquick ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 02:53PM

Can one drink Diet Pepsi with a Danish roll? Or maybe a bowl of Count Chocula?

Posted by: Just browsing ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 03:04PM

Sure did -- I was informed by two seperate General Authorities, that my name was mentioned numerous times on the First Presidency Prayer Roll --

The only thing is, I was never sure whether it was for a good reason, or for a bad reason. But they did eventually throw me out of the Church and ban me from ever coming back. Although In hindsight, by their definition, I was a fully certified Apostate !!!

JB

JB

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 03:41PM

More cronyism..... Surprise surprise.....

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 03:58PM

That's how they roll...

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 10:24AM

I always thought the first presidency prayer roll was spicy tuna, eel, cucumber and jello

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 11:25AM

I sometimes wonder if these prayer rolls are to actually pray for people -- or just to tell you that they are praying for you.

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 01:53PM

Every single time my name was on the prayer roll bad things happened or situation was made worse. It got to the point where I begged people NOT to put my name on the roll. Also no more blessings either. Finally people listened. My financial situation improved, health improved, etc. I am so much better off. Very weird because I did not change a thing on how I handled situations.

Posted by: destiny ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 03:04PM

No, I had never heard that, anointedone. Very interesting. I have learned so much from you. Thanks for posting.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 03:07PM

roll. Her father was a SP. That really bugged me at the time my mother told me YEARS AGO. She didn't get better. She died at a very young age leaving multiple children. Seems their prayers aren't answered.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 03:10PM

5 or 6 years.

My mother told me she writes my name on the prayer roll every time she attends or works at the temple. This is several times per week for years.

Has it done anything? I'm still posting to RfM and not softening my heart to my little family's desire for my "return."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.