Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: July 15, 2013 10:56PM

My daughter is participating in a speech and debate summer camp this week and her LD debate topic is citizen v government surveillance. She needed to come up with pro and con arguments and we spent three hours talking Hobbs, Locke, Rousseau, and Paine. We touched on the Social Contract, English Common Law, and historical context when it comes to the US Constitution. Afterward I was feeling like quite the father, my dad would have never had such a discussion. All he taught me about the US Constitution was that god wrote it, and that the founding fathers are Mormon.

Note: This post is not supposed to be a commentary on the justifications of government surveillance. It is on the lack of understanding that Mormons have about the origins of US law.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 12:04AM

I think that it is funny that Mormons believe that the constitution is an inspired document, but they had no problem disobeying the law when ever it suited them.

1. Burning printing press

2. Bank with no legal charter

3. Polygamy

4. Declaring martial law without authority

5. Assault and Battery

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 09:21PM

What has RFM come to? A desperate man posts something looking for acknowledgement and the man gets silence. (not talking to you releve)

I need my vindication! I'm a good dad dammit! Why can't you all just acknowledge my badassery?

:(

Posted by: Tyler ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 09:26PM

Nicely done. I just finished a Philosophy class at UNLV not to long ago.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 09:43PM

You are a worthy badass daddio! Congratulations for being responsible and taking the time to discuss information with your daughter and for encouraging her to look at facts and history. Critical thinking is the key to the future, not just for your children, but for everyone. It is also satisfying to correct the wrongs of ones parents, and to know you have the integrity to make sure your children don't perpetuate the ignorance of their relatives. Your daughter is lucky to have you as a badass dad.

Posted by: dot ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 09:53PM

I'm totally impressed - you're awesome! Now how about some notes so we can similarly teach our kids - pretty please?

Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 10:06PM

Yes! You are a badass Dad! You should be proud! Not many fathers would take the time to enlighten their daughter so well.Not my dad; he didnt believe women should go to college. :-(.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 10:52PM

I'm so sorry. I applaud you for having a discussion of any kind with your daughter. A nice honest history lesson is even better. You are totally bad ass!

I'm sure that a bad ass dad like you already knows this, but every time you have a discussion with your daughter, you make her less likely to end up a domestic violence statistic.

I have a son in law who is a serious slacker. But he is an awesome dad to my granddaughter, for which I never fail to give him props.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.