Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jolene ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 09:09PM

Emailed resignation to Greg Dodge on Sunday, January 23.
Received confirmation letter in mailbox on Thursday, January 27.
I live in Utah, so they probably mailed the letter on Wendnesday, January 26.

I'll keep you up to date. We have not ever met the bishop of our ward, so I am hoping he just let's us go quietly. I am a little worried about the recent "lost sheep" Ensign articles triggering some kind of love bomb attack... we'll see.

Does this seem super fast to anyone else? I'm loving it!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 09:57PM

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 10:28PM

Very fast. I've heard of people waiting a number of weeks.

I think if the bishop does not know you, he will not make a fuss hassling you or trying to guilt you, etc.

Plus, when I was a TBM, the last thing I wanted to do was go and deal with people who were resigning. If I wasn't welcome, what was the point? But then I know a bishop who thinks he already is close to being a god. He believes all the stuff about spirit and ministering angels and all the other bits of magical thinking that go along with Mormonism, so he actually does try to bully people for their own good.

Date: January 28, 2011 12:30AM

Thanks for the encouragement derrida - I am really hoping nobody stops by, but if they do I'll be ready. I plan to be very short and not discuss anything with them. A part of me just wants to be overly friendly and show them that I am not miserable, but I do want them to understand that I was serious about the "no contact" thing in the letter.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 02:15AM

This is a new record, I think! Please tell us what you wrote! I've already resigned, but others might use your information. It took me 9 months, because my bishop stalled. I had to be quite assertive with the bishop, and I also had to call Greg Dodge's office and threaten to sue, etc. (Mine is a long story,)

It is possible for you to show them that you are happy, and that you mean business, at the same time. Just be yourself, and be honest with them, and live your life.

The Mormons might resent your happiness and success, they might harass you for a bit, and they will eventually shun you--but it is up to you to demand that they respect you and honor your boundaries.

Remember, they have no authority over you whatsoever.

I had to become very assertive, to stand up to their rudeness, and 9 months seemed like forever.

Congratulations!!!! You do know that when the church office receives your resignation letter, YOU ARE OUT as of that moment! All the rest is just Mormon-invented mumbo-jumbo and red tape. You are free!

Date: January 28, 2011 10:42AM

I was thinking it might be a new record, too! Here is the email message I used in case anyone wants to do the same. I decided to keep it simple:

sent via email to: dodgegw@ldschurch.org
subject: Membership Resignation

**mr.jolene**
*DOB*, *city, state of birth*

**jolene**
*DOB*, *city, state of birth*

**today's date**

Dear Greg Dodge,

This letter is our formal resignation from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, effective immediately. As we are no longer members, we ask that you permanently remove our names from the membership rolls of the church.

Our resignation should be processed immediately. We will not accept any contact from our local leadership and will not discuss this with them. The only contact we want from the church is a single letter of confirmation stating that we are no longer members of the church.

Thank You,
**mr.jolene**
**jolene**
**current address**

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 07:21PM

Posted by: nomomoses ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 07:31PM

I mailed mine to the Bishop and cc'd SLC the week before Christmas. I received the Dodge letter the following week. I am still waiting for final action even though I keep asking for immediate action.

I went to SM last week and it was ward conference. Since they have left me as a member I felt like apposing all the GAs and local leaders, but refrained from voting at all. After all, I consider December 17th as the day I was no longer a member.

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 07:56PM

Wow, that's super fast!! I just sent my email resignation today; waiting to see what happens and what/when I'll hear back from them. Congratulations Jolene; I hope to join you soon!

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 08:16PM

Name
Membership #
Birthdate, State

Mr. Dodge,
This letter is my formal resignation from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and it is effective immediately. I request NO CONTACT about the matter from local leaders.

After today, the only contact I want from the church is a single letter of confirmation to let me know that I am no longer listed as a member of the church.

Thank You,

Name
Mailing address

Posted by: rwg ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 08:58PM

I sent in a resignation letter? I am NOT a Mormon, NEVER HAVE been a Mormon, NEVER wanted to be a Mormon, NOR do I plan to ever be a Mormon. How long would it take them to figure out that I'm playing with their minds. Wonder what their reaction would be? Do you think it would be fun?

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 02:01AM

If they write back to say they can't find you, threaten to sue! Your name must be removed, you cannot abide this run around they give you!

I was thinking a similar thing. I resigned 9-10 years ago. I was thinking of emailing asking to have my name removed just to see if they forward a new letter confirming and I can say, "See I knew you hadn't removed my name!." But not really. I'm not paranoid.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 02:03AM

And I think someone should write a resignation letter that says, "Dear Greg Dodge, I'm writing to inform you that I'm getting out of Dodge..."

Posted by: rwg ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 09:14PM

Well, I interested one person on here. I'll do it and report back on the results. Should be interesting. Oops, now the trolls will report back to HQ - well that might be proof of their existence but if they don't warn their controllers ahead of time... therein lies a Mormon conundrum.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 10:42PM

I sent my e-mail on January 17th, I got the first letter on January 19th--the letter was dated January 17th.

I haven't heard from the bishop (a friend). He is probably a little shocked (not like I've been active for more than 15 years), but my ex (who lives here) and our son--we all sent in e-mails and got letters back around the same time.

Anyway--mine made it in 2 days.

Posted by: Eric ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 10:51PM

Didn't work for me. I've sent it to his email address three times. That was starting four months ago. He's ignored all three. I am sending it certified mail soon.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 10:53PM

Posted by: Eric ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 10:54PM

Yeah... if it actually worked. I don't know what it is, but they must review a file and decide whether to accept it or not based on some member information.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.