Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Freevolved ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 09:11PM

First timer here - what do you recommend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2011 09:14PM by Freevolved.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Checker of minor facts ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 09:31PM

Frapachino. Any flavor.

Posted by: zeldar ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 09:37PM

I never was a coffee drinker until my nephew had me try the Cafe Mocha. I really like it because of the chocolate in it. I haven't tried any of the others yet.

Posted by: DaisyChains ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 09:42PM

Caramel Macchiato...iced or otherwise. Yum.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 09:56PM

Get a regular coffee and add some creme. The fancy drinks will just empty you of your newly liberated tithing money, plus they'll make you fat.

Also, if you lived someplace civilized, do yourself a favor and try Peet's Coffee. It's F-ing Celestial!

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 11:40PM

Date: January 27, 2011 11:27PM

I will keep these in mind when I order. I'm hoping I like coffee, because it makes ya sophisticated right ;) I'm optimistic since I like coffee flavored candy.

I should be in for the long haul, so I might just take sonoma's advice.

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 11:39PM

Mickey D's coffee + creamer is a good place to start. Cheap and good tasting imho..

Edit: Also their iced caramel coffee is decent. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2011 11:43PM by Strykary.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 08:08AM

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 09:48AM

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 06:34PM

Mickey D's iced drinks are really dreadful. Not only do you get the chemically taste, but a TON of sweetener too. Shudder!!

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 09:10AM

"I'm optimistic since I like coffee flavored candy."

This is a sign from god; you are of the Coffee Chosen ...

Posted by: freeasabird ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 11:53PM

My husband had such a hard time liking coffee at first, his fave's are Caramel Macchiato, and White Chocolate Mocha.
I like those but I usually get a Vanilla Latte, or my fav is a Chai Tea Latte yum! But Blue Star has the best coffee if you're in SL.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 12:28AM

It tasted like concentrated dirt, and I spit it out.

So... I later diluted it with water a bit, maybe added some powdered chocolate.

Eventually, I could get to just drinking plain old coffee... and I find it to be a wonderful creature comfort.

I had the same problem with alcohol... beer, etc. The sweeter mixed drinks helped at first.

The way I figure it, in the active mormon days everything could be chugged quickly - water, soda, chocolate drinks, etc..... Learning that the "new drinks" are enjoyed over time, sipping perhaps. Now I can chug a beer without a problem.

So... there are beginner options.

Maybe I was just wimpy. Others' mileage may vary.

Posted by: freeasabird ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 12:52AM

I had coffee when I was younger so I craved it when I smelled it :) (I worked at Starbucks in the airport when I was in HS).

But I have to admit it took me a while to get used to certain alcoholic drinks as well.

I did NOT like red wine at first. But when I learned how to drink it I LOVE it! Who knew wine was supposed to be sipped not gulped lol, not little ole me! And I like red at room temp and white chilled!!!!

And I'm still learning, guess some of us are just slow!

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 08:39AM

And get yourself some REAL good Italian coffee at a small place that doesn't belong to a chain.

Make yourself believe it is laughably overpriced if you still long for Starbucks then.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 09:13AM

First, you need to speak Starbuckese or it'll take forEVER to order.

Just say this:

Grande no-fat, no-whip, 280 triple white chocolate mocha.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 09:30AM

because, as others have said, they'll just make you poorer and fatter.

I recently kicked a $5-a-day skinny latte habit, just because it's dumb to spend that much on coffee, and am measuring the creamer to help lose weight. Dark day when I discovered flavored creamers ... I used to like my coffee black.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 09:38AM

Used to be you could order coffee sitting down, and time from order to delivery of full cup of coffee was 12 seconds, because the server already had the coffee pot in her hand and a cup was on the table.

It also did did not involve listening to something whining halfway between the decibel level of a leaf blower and a jet engine.

Now you get to pay $4.25 to stand in line listening to the pretentious grandstanders, and have your time, wallet and ears assaulted.

And names like "Venti" are the heart and soul of pretentiousness.

Progress. Meh.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 06:34PM

and order a simple cup of coffee the same way.
I don't know what the deal is with people thinking they have to go to Starbucks. Their coffee is over-roasted and overpriced.

Posted by: anon7 ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 10:20AM

Chai tea latte or an Iced Americano with cream.

Posted by: onlyme ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 10:29AM

I made my first trip to starbucks last sunday and got a chai tea latte. It's a great option for non-coffee drinkers.

Date: January 30, 2011 06:32PM

Chai is always made with milk.

Posted by: noelle ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 06:25PM

Tim's makes a great cup of coffee! Try it the next time you're on the east coast.

http://www.timhortons.com/us/en/index.html

Posted by: eviltemptress ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 06:44PM

I agree 100 percent! I used to think Starbucks was wonderful but only indulged rarely because of the price. Since moving back east I have fallen completely in love with Tim Horton's (I have an English toffee cappuccino at least once a week). The coffee is MUCH better and it's 1/4 of the price!

Date: January 30, 2011 06:31PM

Posted by: Lillium ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 06:39PM

There are better coffee shops than Starbucks, but the one I knew about here closed and I haven't found another great one. I seldom have coffee out, but if I'm given a Starbucks gift card or something I have the mocha with an extra shot. Pretty good.

So anyone in Boise know of a good fix? I'm not particularly enamored with Flying M. What else is here?

Date: January 30, 2011 08:10PM

I tried speaking starbuckese like exmormonron said, but they just looked at me really funny. Ok I'm lying about that part.

I took sonoma's advice, and let's just say "I came, I saw, I only finished half a cup" :(

It was alright, but I think I'm going to go to a local shop next time, and I'll probably order a frappuccino, just to ease into the coffee thing.

Posted by: Jenny ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 08:20PM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 08:21PM

They won't let me inside Starbucks because my computer is not a Mac. I'm just not cool enough. I have to grovel at the drive-through.

Also- I can't figure out why I should tip the "barista" at Starbucks but not the counter person at Burger King. The Burger King kid can sell coffee AND burgers.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 09:09PM

Then make the espresso in an Italian caffeteria or "moka" pot, but only one made by Bialetti. Add milk or whatever. It's strong, but tasty. Puts hair on your chest.

If you want drip, order the German brand "Jakobs Krönung" (in the green package) at either Amazon or www.germandeli.com. It's known as pretty much the best drip coffee in the world. It's very mild and easy on the stomach but deeply full of flavor.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 09:29PM

If you want a yummy intro to coffee, I recommend Haagen Dazs - coffee flavour. It's the dog's bollocks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.