Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 09:24PM

My wife, teenage kid and I are planning on moving from Davis County to SLC sometime this next year. We're considering anywhere from the Avenues, Sugarhouse, Millcreek, to Holladay. We really like the Cottonwood area too, but that's as far south as we're considering. Our reasons for leaving are simple: 1) get in a more politically and religiously diverse area, and 2) find a high school where my kid won't feel like a freak for being non-Mormon.

The obvious concern we have is to make a move and find ourselves in the same boat as before (though honestly, only Utah County could be as momo as where we currently are, but you know what I'm saying...). So, we're researching schools and neighborhoods as thoroughly as possible. A specific question I have is how LDS is Cottonwood? Holladay? I get the impression that the further south you go, the more traditionally "Utah" it all becomes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elee ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 10:17PM

I'm in Sugar House, which is very non-Mormon. If I have Mormon neighbors, and I assume I do, I don't know who they are.

All of the areas you named are neighborhoods that are converting. Younger families are moving in, but the population of kids has dwindled considerably over the past 5 decades.

On the positive side, this means small class size in some schools which are considered excellent schools.

I like all the areas you mentioned, but obviously, since I settled on Sugar House, that's my area of preference. For me, it puts me close to work so that was a huge factor. But I love being close to freeway access as well as close to downtown. Public transportation is also more abundant.

Downside, of course, is housing costs. They vary from neighborhood to neighborhood, but the Avenues, Holladay and Cottonwood heights can have a pretty steep price tag.

But whatever the case, I think you'll really love it here. I know we do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2011 10:18PM by elee.

Date: January 27, 2011 11:19PM

I really like the Sugarhouse area...it's got a great vibe to it. All things being equal, that's what we're leaning to, but I do need to check into the high schools a little more. One thing about the SLC high schools...they're 9-12th grade. Down in the Millcreek/Holladay area, I believe it's 10-12, which may tip the scales that way we'll see...

Date: January 27, 2011 11:23PM

I've got the beer buying down, an art form, here in Davis Co. And yeah, I had the Obama sign in the yard too, so that sounds like a walk in the park down there. Anything I can do to make Brigham's prophecy of SLC becoming one of the most wicked cities in the world come about...eye of the tiger, baby. ha Glad to hear you like Holladay...beats UT County, no doubt.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 10:30PM

They were nevermo, and know almost nothing about Mormons. They divorced shortly after moving here, an addition wrinkle when raising two middle school aged children.

Raised two kids who went to Olympus High, and never had any problems with Mormon-itis. Both kids went to college, graduated, daughter recently returned to Utah to start medical residency.

IOW, pretty much typical successful middle class family. The fact that there were Mormons around was mostly irrelevant.

I lived about 10 years in Sandy, and am now in Holladay. I know nothing about the schools, but the neighbors are fine. I buy beer and put out Democratic yard signs. Nobody vandalizes anything, nor has a coronary. There is a very liberal UCC church [ Unitarians Considering Christ - their joke] on east Murray-Holladay Road, with a lot of kids attending.

I used to work in Utah County, but I refused to live there, just on principle, so I know where you are coming from. :) SL County can be pretty normal. Honest.

Date: January 27, 2011 11:50PM

<I hate when I don't log in and I post under the wrong reply!>

I've got the beer buying down, an art form, here in Davis Co. And yeah, I had the Obama sign in the yard too, so that sounds like a walk in the park down there. Anything I can do to make Brigham's prophecy of SLC becoming one of the most wicked cities in the world come about...eye of the tiger, baby. ha Glad to hear you like Holladay...beats UT County, no doubt.

Posted by: Eliza Snow-job ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 11:19PM

I live in Cottonwood Heights and it's a pretty good mix of middle-class people. I have a couple of Mormon neighbors who are pesky, but for the most part, everyone is nice. I like it.

Date: January 28, 2011 12:13AM

Between our two screen names, I should move to Cottonwood Heights, and we could start a polygamist compound. lol

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 11:34PM

I also lived in Sugar House, above 2100 East. My son went to East High, but also could have gone to Highland.

We loved it there, as far as living in Utah goes.

Plenty of mormons, but enough that aren't to have people on your block that are not mormons.

Date: January 27, 2011 11:53PM

How did you as parents like East? How did your son like it?

Posted by: Nathaniel Webster ( )
Date: January 27, 2011 11:36PM

Generally living on the East side of the Salt Lake Valley is advisable: Wealthier, better schools and lower crime.

Keep your kids out of Kearns High. It has a gang problem and there was even a fatal shooting.

West High, Granger High and Hunter should probably be avoided too.

If you can find the graduation rates, gang reports, etc. for various schools it would greatly aid your decision.

Date: January 27, 2011 11:52PM

Yeah...there are plenty of good folks out that way, but the west side is not in our plans. I'm looking at grad rates and academics for all the schools...hadn't considered gang data at the school level. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted by: freeasabird ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 12:07AM

I love Millcreek, we don't have an overwhelming amount of Mobots in the neighborhood. They came around when I first moved in but have been pretty quiet since (except the VT who makes her quarterly visit, praise her! I'm quitting that nonsense). My kids are elem. age and seem to do fine with friends and love their school. I don't know anything about the highschool age though, sorry. When we move again I hope it'll be in this area or Sugar House, love, love, love Sugar House!!

Date: January 28, 2011 01:08AM

Posted by: J. Chan ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 10:10AM

It's not like Davis or Utah County, or even southern Salt Lake County, where people assume everyone else is Mormon. Mormonism is predominant but there are so many non- and ex-Mormons it balances out. The Mormons nearer the city tend to be quite a bit more adult about religious diversity than those in the suburbs. I know non- and ex-Mormons in each of the areas you named. Conflict with their Mormon neighbors generally is a non-issue.

Date: January 28, 2011 09:54PM

Yep...would you include Cottonwood Heights in your assessment? When you think of southern SLC county, I would assume Draper, So Jordan, Bluffdale?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.