Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BGG ( )
Date: July 30, 2013 06:40PM

My TBM friend told our Sunday teacher that people on the church history trip he went on claimed that Jesus had blonde hair and blue eyes. Our teacher has a very strong opinion on this (which is contrary to the church history people's statement). There's no way that was the case when you consider he was from the Middle East...

Do Mormons actually believe that Jesus had blonde hair/blue eyes, or that he will have blond hair/blue eyes in the afterlife?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 30, 2013 06:55PM

Forensic scientists believe he looked like this:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/forensics/1282186

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: July 30, 2013 09:43PM

Yeah, taking his ethnicity into account, I'd say this is probably more accurate than anything else we've seen. But do TBMs seriously think he was blond and blue eyed? That's hilarious.

Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: July 30, 2013 08:57PM

It has always bugged me that Jesus is usually depicted as blond or with light brown hair and blue eyes. Based on the region he was born in and what we know about his parents, I believe he looked similar to the picture linked above.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: July 30, 2013 09:40PM

Yes I always chuckled at the 'Nordic' Jesus. If he had been as fair as so many artists show, he probably would have died of skin cancer, even before reaching 30. He was from the middle east where the sun is strong and it is hot. Obviously he was darker skinned and with brown eyes. I like the picture in the link!

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: July 30, 2013 09:43PM

The real Jesus would of course have been Middle Eastern, but since he's probably not real, you can build your own Jesus. He could even look like Jim Caviezel if you prefer.

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: August 01, 2013 03:20PM

Build-a-Jesus...I bet there's a franchise opportunity somewhere in there!

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: August 01, 2013 03:55PM

I'd build a Jesus that looked like Willem Dafoe in Last Temptation of Christ. Although I usually go for big tall Hispanic men, I love Willem ... to me he's so damn sexy.

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 04:51PM

I'd build an Isla Fischer Jesus, complete with loin cloth.

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 10:25PM

A most very interesting outlier from your standard SL. Very interesting! No Italian or something that might be closer to your regular preference?

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 10:27PM

Wouldn't Jesus have had those freakish long side burn locks that make you shudder when you see someone with them? I know I should know culture and history better, but if he was doing the whole Jewish thing wouldn't he have had those freak locks?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 12:41AM by templeendumbed.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: July 30, 2013 09:52PM

Joseph described Jesus somewhere. Not sure of the details, but I remember the bit about blue eyes.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 12:42AM

When my brother first converted (mid-1970's), he told me that there was a Roman prisoner record describing Jesus as having at least blue eyes; I can't remember about the blond hair, but I think so.

And, as I've said before, if Lehi and company landed in the New World, they woulda been pretty close in color to the natives, especially after 8 years wandering in the desert and then sailing the ocean blue, so why would they be called "white men"....

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 12:51AM

He became very obsessed with his complexion thanks mostly to the liberal media and its incredibly narrow view of male beauty.

Once Jesus made his fortune in the business of entertaining the sick and afflicted masses, he underwent painful and expensive treatments that altered his pigment over time.

Thanks to modern science with its treatments, colored contacts, and hair dyes - Jesus went from "Ethnic/Other" to "Non-Ethnic/Whitebread."

Posted by: rd4jesus ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 01:11AM

My Pastor cites Isaiah 53:2-12 (NIV) which reads,
"2 He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
and like a root out of dry ground.
He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
nothing in his appearance that we should desire him."

And says something to the effect that Christ was ugly. In author Leon Ury's book, "The Haj" one of the main characters (a Muslim) dreams of Christ as being a short, fat, bald man.

Posted by: lostinva ( )
Date: August 01, 2013 02:42PM

To be fair, the country of Lebanon is full of people with pale skin, blue eyes and blond hair. I am not sure if that is from Europeans or if they were that way to start with, but basically those I've met have the Middle Eastern facial features (big nose) but look otherwise European. I'm not sure how that factors in, but not all of the Middle East has dark skin and hair.

Posted by: homoerectus ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 11:00PM

About one in 750 'caucasions' are born albino. These 'caucasions' (which I use loosely because of a common ignorant acceptance of an origin in the Caucasis region) include the majority in North Africa, the Middleast, the Indian subcontinent, Central Asia, Eurasia, and Europe. The albinos have blonde hair, light skin, and oft times blue eyes. They interbreed with the rest of their race forming a mixture of skin, eye, and hair colors. You cannot determine a race simply by those three traits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2013 11:01PM by homoerectus.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 01, 2013 02:55PM

Are based on one of the Pope Innocents who declared all paintings should be modeled after his face. No joke.

Edit, the only thing I can find on this is it's actually modeled at Cesare Borgia, so I might be mixing up information.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2013 02:59PM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 01, 2013 03:52PM

I read about that someplace too. I don't remember where I read that. I remember thinking that it was funny. And, what an arrogant guy that pope was.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 01, 2013 04:27PM

I read it in "An Underground Education" but I can't find anything else on it. That book also has a section about JS's philandering.

Posted by: flanders ( )
Date: August 01, 2013 03:58PM

I suppose you could assign any number of physical traits to a fictional character.

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 05:44PM

A GA told me Jesus had fair hair, blue eyes and no beard (clean shaven).

So it must be true.

But Jesus Smith (aka David Twede) has a beard. Now I am confused.

Oh, that's right - the Mormon Jesus (Jehovah, Adam/God) does not exist.

That straightens it out. The GA wa actually describing himself.

Posted by: pop-tong ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 05:58PM

Jesus also never drank wine; he drank grape juice!

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 07:12PM

An awful lot of modern paintings used by the Mormon church come from Arnold Friberg, his parents were Swedish and Danish. That's why the Book of Mormon illustrations of jews on a boat bound for central america from Arabia look like vikings and why jesus looks like a blonde hippy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Friberg

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 07:16PM

BGG -- perhaps your Sunday School teacher has been reading the Book of Mormon, and has extrapolated God's "light skin righteous/dark skin wicked" divine actions to their logical conclusion?

After all, it's not just history, not just doctrine, it's the actual action of god, to curse wicked people with dark skin.

A dark-skinned Jesus wouldn't do that, would he?

Or, even if Elohim Himself was a Nordic god, would he get laid with a dark-skinned Mary to procreate? I think not. Surely Mary and Elohim were blonde and blue-eyed as well.

RG

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2013 07:22PM by reinventinggrace.

Posted by: nonni ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 10:29PM

Joseph smith is getting better looking every year.

Hey whatever works.

Maybe down the road JOe will look goth.

Posted by: homoerectus ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 10:39PM

Hey, Mary could actually have been knocked up by an aryan indo iranian zorostrian wiseman from the East. It would be supported by biblical 'evidence'. Maybe she engaged in some polyandry with the three wisemen and Joseph?

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 11:12PM

If there was a Jesus he looked like Adam Sandler.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 12:17AM

Jehovah's Witnesses' art is all the same happy-in-paradise sacharine stuff. The Hare Krishnas is Hindu art as if it were done by Thomas Kinkade.

Mormon art is the most inspid of all.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.