Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: raven ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 04:48AM

Sometimes I find little things that make day to day life just a little easier. I love cool kitchen tools that speed up tasks like my cast aluminum lemon squeezer that gets every last drop out of the lemon.

My newest find is a hair towel with Lycra in it that I got for $4 at Walmart. I have hair long enough that it gets it own towel and I thought for four bucks what the hell. It sucked the water out of my hair like a Saturday night hooker and reduced my time with a hair dryer by at least half. Since the towel is stretchy it gets next to your scalp and absorbs more water.

I love my new towel. That's it.

Anyone else with helpful household items for rfm-ers? Come on don't hold back.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 04:51AM

Chef basket! Love it!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 07:42AM

Isn't it wonderful how a little thing like that can make you smile? I love my towel too.

I also love the little julienne peeler I got from Solutions.com.It's like a potato peeler only it produces little matchsticks, which are perfect for adding carrots to a salad for one or two. You don't have to dirty the Cuisinart.

I also went to an Asian store and bought a single burner emergency propane stove that uses fuel which comes in what looks like hair spray cans and they fit into a little compartment, which then closes. Much safer around children than a Coleman stove. The burner comes in a black plastic case and it's like 18x18 and when the electricity goes out, you just plunk it on your stove top and you're back in business.
Cost me $19. Our electricity goes out regularly here and I was SICK OF IT. Now, I just reach under the cupboard and use what all those rural Asians are using. Pass the wok!

I now give emergency preparedness supplies to all my children for birthdays and such. They resist getting ready as though buying extra food and flashlight batteries would send bad juju into the universe.

Anagrammy

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 07:55AM

You forgot to add "and that's why I know the church is true" ;-)

Date: January 28, 2011 08:51AM

rt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You forgot to add "and that's why I know the
> church is true" ;-)

The difference is the towel makes me HAPPY and does not cost 10% of my income!

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 09:52AM

raven Wrote:
>> My newest find is a hair towel with Lycra in it
> that I got for $4 at Walmart. I have hair long
> enough that it gets it own towel and I thought for
> four bucks what the hell. It sucked the water out
> of my hair like a Saturday night hooker and
> reduced my time with a hair dryer by at least
> half. Since the towel is stretchy it gets next to
> your scalp and absorbs more water.
>
> I love my new towel. That's it.

Where is it in the store? I spend way too long drying my hair.
One of the thing I love is the towel you use to witpe off your car, it's supposed to be kept damp. I use it at the gy after showers, it wipes off almost all the water andI can air day while walking to lockers. Its really great whenit's humid here ( Houston)

Posted by: Raven ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 12:05PM

nomilk Wrote:
> raven Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >> My newest find is a hair towel with Lycra in
> it
> > that I got for $4 at Walmart. I have hair long
> > enough that it gets it own towel and I thought
> for
> > four bucks what the hell. It sucked the water
> out
> > of my hair like a Saturday night hooker and
> > reduced my time with a hair dryer by at least
> > half. Since the towel is stretchy it gets next
> to
> > your scalp and absorbs more water.
> >
> > I love my new towel. That's it.
>
> Where is it in the store? I spend way too long
> drying my hair.
> One of the thing I love is the towel you use to
> witpe off your car, it's supposed to be kept damp.
> I use it at the gy after showers, it wipes off
> almost all the water andI can air day while
> walking to lockers. Its really great whenit's
> humid here ( Houston)

It was an end cap in the bath towel area. I got it a month ago and have not looked for another one...but I will. I cut off the tag so I don't have the manufacturer but I think it was a major one...maybe cannon? THey are also great because you can pull on a shirt over your head and the thing stays in place. My life is so pathetic that a good hair towel makes my day...sad but true.

Posted by: paintinthewin ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 11:18AM

walnut orchards in the fog along a country road, glimmers of white grey bark grafted ridges shimmer with water frosted furrows underfoot

my favorite dairy in the morning cows lined up along the road farmer in overalls brown cows faces big eyes, brown dog dancing around his daddy's dusty golf cart as he drives along feeding them

telephone poles a series of dark lines loops of wire in a row off to infinity along a rural road

I found British Columbia nephrite jade- in a string of beads recently at a rock show near me. & the carved beads feel warm & smooth not cold in the hand when wearing them, the beads warm with your body heat in winter worn in a bracelet on the wrist

a pile of rocks agate rough swirls simply

adding coconut, dried cherries to a German chocolate cake mix with a touch of sour cream and two big spoonfuls of unsweetened chocolate- breakfast snack food upping the ante on processed cake mix

Linus & Lucy (that's the name of the song, jazz piano) by George Winston

Yoyo Ma

Guten Morgen Sonnenschien Nana Mouskouri

Pavaroti

Van Morrison

Willie Nelson

Placido Domingo

Kiri Tekanawa Panis Angelicus

Hugs in the morning

dogs out of their kennels dancing in joy around the porch casual sauntering in the kitchen when I cook surrounding me in a dog sea

the right griddle

one great cast iron bean pot

& for me what makes me smile when I touch it my 1 1/2 year old calphalon 3 quart chef pan to make spaghetti sauce in- If you put the lid on, it even raises pancakes like biscuits

oh! &, breathing, is really great. Can just, change everything

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 11:53AM

:-)

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 11:45PM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 12:03PM

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 12:04PM

Posted by: Raven ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 12:13PM

Jenny Wrote:
> n/t

I was wondering how those wet mops worked. I was not sure since there is no rinse function. how big a floor do you use it on and do you have to change the cloth on it as you clean?

Posted by: Rob ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 12:17PM

My son.

Getting to see his reactions when he discovers all these new things that would never get a second glance from me otherwise.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 01:01PM

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 01:03PM

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 01:06PM

Posted by: June ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 01:09PM

is a great witty comment or joke. My preschooler is really starting to understand how to time a joke well, and it makes me so happy!!

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 02:58PM

1) My big bag of new yellow towels (maybe they are lycra too). I use a ton of them to clean, the minute its dirty I pick up another. My house sparkes!
2) My new lavender scented natural counter top cleaner. It smells sooo good.
3) My new Kitchenaid food processor. Its pink to support breast cancer awareness and its really cute.

Posted by: excatholic ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 03:50PM

In the words of the late, great Ian Dury

A bit of grin and bear it, a bit of come and share it
You're welcome, we can spare it - yellow socks
Too short to be haughty, too nutty to be naughty
Going on 40 - no electric shocks

The juice of the carrot, the smile of the parrot
A little drop of claret - anything that rocks
Elvis and Scotty, days when I ain't spotty,
Sitting on the potty - curing smallpox

Reasons to be cheerful part 3

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 04:07PM

and runs away when he/she sees us

2) the quiet neighborhood we live in

3) a sewing machine that works - doesn't break the thread and jam up

4) the microwave - don't know how I lived without it

5) money for gas for my vehicle so I can go where ever I want.

6) working washer and dryer

7) continuing to manage my husband's health

8) a reliable computer - that is running out of memory --

I could go on and on and on...some big things, some little things, all contribute to reminding me what a wonderful life I have!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 04:18PM

in a few minutes. Never use a hair dryer. Never occurred to me that people with a lot of hair would appreciate a special kind of towel! :-)

So, my question is: is it a turban, or just a towel?
I know women that would probably use it.

Date: January 29, 2011 12:22AM

You'd be surprised! My shoulder-length hair takes over an hour to blow dry (nicely) and hours to air dry!!! I have a LOT of hair, it's very thick and porous so it absorbs water like a sponge. If I put my hair in a ponytail when wet, it never dries. 12 hours later everything up to the ponytail holder is still wet.

You are lucky you have quick drying hair. So, so lucky.

Posted by: DaisyChains ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 04:22PM

When you hear that song you haven't jammed out to since spring break in high school. (the Thong Song...LOL!)

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 04:27PM

Date: January 28, 2011 08:33PM

It is a small towel and wraps into a nice tight turban since you can tuck the back under your neck. I actually pulled on a knit shirt without dislodging it. I will get two more, which gives me backups for when I am washing it.

Date: January 28, 2011 11:53PM

Posted by: jolene ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 09:46PM

When DH and I started drinking coffee in the mornings, we bought a really cool coffee maker that dispenses the coffee right into 2 travel mugs! We grind the beans the night before and set the coffee to start making itself at 7:00 am. I cannot even begin to tell you what a treat it is to wake up to the smell of freshly brewed coffee and just grab our cups and go! It's the Hamilton Beach - Stay or Go 10-Cup Digital Thermal Coffeemaker - google it.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 11:39PM

Sneaking up on mama when she's sleepin... and stickin my nose in her hair and going whuff-whuff-whuff thru my nose. She puts her arm around me and starts in just a talkin away real soft-like, tellin me what a great dog i am and stuff but what's funny is she ain't the leastest bit awake, I know she would not never remeber doin it. I am a lucky old dog fer sure.

Yer jonesin for snuggles pal,
Reggie the StalkerDog™

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 11:59PM

I have a very little house (about 1100 sq ft) that makes me very happy.

Posted by: topojoejoe ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 12:57AM

wished I had a very little house.... do not love cleaning my house and never seeing it clean, since my twin 4 year olds can mess the house faster than I can clean it.

But I am so happy to hear about the hair towel! Wow, who would have thought that a hair towel would bring so much joy to so many! I have to go to Walmart now and get me some. I have long hair, and drying it is so time consuming.

I love my mineral makeup face powder because I have forgotten how to properly apply makeup and that mineral powder is very forgiving and fast. Fast is good these days.

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 01:29AM

For me it's a sheltie...love those dogs...one bi blue boy is asleep on my bed right now.

Tomorrow it's up to the airport to greet another blue merle boy from the same breeder in AL.

They're like eating one Jay's potato chip...can't do it...can't only have one...now I'll have three, one a really old girl...and our little guy willhave a playmate.

You can tell them all your troubles woes and joys...and they listen....just brushing them is a joy...

And to see a blue sheltie run in the snow...well it's paradise.

stormy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.