Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pewsitter ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 10:38PM

First things first - there is no bishop and there has never been a bishop and there never will be a bishop that has or will ever have any inspiration or communication from the Mormon God. If you believe your bishop is special and god talks to him, then you need to go back to primary. There is no Mormon leader that has ever received any kind of communication from a Mormon god and that includes JS.

Since no bishop receives inspiration from god, what makes the members of his ward believe and act like he is something special? Mormonism teaches their members starting in Primary that the bishop is special. Parents teach their children the bishop is special. Why?

Mormons are taught to worship (adore) their bishop because their exaltation to live with god depends upon how their bishops votes in the hereafter on letting them in. This is the smoke and mirrors folks. Bishop worship is so that everyone above the Bishop is also worshipped and considered closer to god. How can you disagree with an almost god?

Look at your bishop and realize he is nothing more than an administrator and you will see what a fake he really is. The bishop, stake president, etc, are all nothing more than administrators and not a mouth piece for god. The façade of having the mantle of god is just to get you to pay your taxes. Would you pay your Mormon tax if the bishop had no special power from god?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JelloHater ( )
Date: August 04, 2013 12:03AM

Powers.

They don't just control who gets into heaven. They control who gets to go to weddings. They can kick you out (or start that process). Etc. Nasty stuff. Of course they're worshiped :/

Posted by: wolfunderfire ( )
Date: August 04, 2013 12:05AM

They can also have you disfellowshipped, arrested, labeled unstable and God ( not the mormon one) only knows what else
EVEN IF YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN MORMON.
READ THE UPDATE I JUST POSTED.
Thank you for this by the way.

THIS EXPLAINS SOMETHING TO ME . THANK YOU

Posted by: StoneInHat ( )
Date: August 04, 2013 12:13AM

In the last two wards I resided (before I left) the Bishop would occassionally have a meeting where he would talk. It almost seemed like it was more of a "look how good I am" demonstration than it was a lesson on the teachings of Christ. I would even go as far as to assert that there is borderline Bishop worship going on in some wards.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: August 04, 2013 12:26AM

Well said. I have never understood how Mormons who claim to be so "religious" don't even have a leader of their church who went to theology school. What in the world makes them a person of knowledge of the Bible. I believe they are NOT and the authorities don't want that. They rather choose a rich man or one who has a lot of charisma. He is one they can trust to "tell all" as they spy on the neighborhood. He is one who brings in the money. It is so disgusting how Mormons are brainwashed from toddlerhood.

Date: August 04, 2013 12:31AM

Here, here. They make it a big deal that they have lay clergy. When you go to the Bishop for marital counseling he either tells the woman to obey the husband, because he's the priesthood holder, or refers the couple to LDS family services who basically just tries to keep the couple from leaving TSCC.
I did not become aware until after I left TSCC that Christian Pastors are actually trained in marital counselling along with many other things. Maybe the reason that Christian Pastors are paid, as opposed to Mormon Bishops, is because they actually know their shit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2013 12:32AM by budweiserbaby.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: August 04, 2013 12:48AM

Right...Christian pastors are trained in counseling. I went to one once. It was a good session. And then he even called my home to talk to me again. I actually saw him twice and knew he had his S__ together. Oh and if one goes to college for a certain profession having had all the studies required for that degree why should they NOT be paid?

Posted by: Googlemoosh ( )
Date: August 04, 2013 01:29AM

Exactly!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 06:45PM

This. I would much rather get premarital or other counseling from a clergy member who has been trained in counseling in addition to theology.

Posted by: happyhollyhomemaker ( )
Date: August 04, 2013 12:43AM

Of course it's bishop worship. That's why they go to their bishop in times when they *should* be going to the police!

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 04, 2013 01:01AM

Bishop Worship ? ..... well, yes, but it pales in comparison to the Messianic style worship given to the MORmON PR-of-it, as he poses as a stand in for the ever delinquent Jesus Christ.

I get a real kick out of how certain individuals really get a lot of personal validation out of being called to be a bishop.
It means practically nothing to the real MORmON insiders / elite.
Even Stake President means very little to the guys who actually get a pay check from being an LDS Inc holy man. Mission President just barely registers in the upper tiers of LDS INC MORmON leadershi-t.

Imagine that there is a train with coal cars loaded with candy .
The big 15 ASSpostHOLES are riding on top of those train car loads of candy, rolling around, swimming in all that ego candy (MONEY!!!!!! power and prestige). Every once in a while a single life saver or Skittles bit falls over board, and some dumb bastard picks it up from along side the train tracks and he thinks he has really hit the MORmON church leadership bonanza jack pot. THAT guy who is thrilled over his one tiny piece of candy, that is the MORmON bishop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3-buIzlTWI
pay attention to the way Faust says "goodies"

MORmON retards!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2013 01:08AM by lucky.

Posted by: ramonglyde ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 05:53PM

I will steal your train analogy at my leisure. It is an instant classic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2013 05:53PM by ramonglyde.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: August 04, 2013 01:23AM

Years ago I learned that God's intelligence was limited to whatever Bishop I had at the time. There was no divine intervention, no special light in their eyes, no special words from God. Just a guy who may or may not have believed he was what the organization says he was.

Once I concluded that there was no special aura about them, and that they were just the proverbial man behind the curtain saying they're acting for God, the rules for engagement changed.

Posted by: exbishfromportland ( )
Date: August 04, 2013 02:15AM

It's wrong. It absolutely is. I was a bishop and I feel terrible for buying into it all. But I am one of three bishops who have left the church from the same ward. So, it is possible for us to learn from our mistakes. And now we are each trying to convince people its all a sham.

Date: August 04, 2013 02:18AM

I wish my (former) Bishop would investigate the church like you have. I was telling him things he'd never even heard before; Joseph using seer stone in a hat, Jopeph money digging, Joseph arrested for money digging, polyandry. He had this incredulous look on his face like I was making all this up. He has a son out on a mission right now and he loves to brag to the Ward about how great he is because his son is serving a mission. It makes me sick. I hope my resignation letter sets some things in motion for him and he starts investigating the things I told him.

Posted by: freckles ( )
Date: August 04, 2013 06:22AM

Out of curiosity, what was it that started you on your way out?

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 04, 2013 02:17AM

I just want to thank you for referring to the Mormon God, mostly the generic Fod is used on RfM. I think the Mormon Fod, Mormon prayer, and Mormon prayer are so special they need to be identified as such so as to not be confused with the non-special God, prayer, and priesthood.

Posted by: exbishfromportland ( )
Date: August 04, 2013 01:46PM

freckles, it was different for all three of us.

The first one left because his shelf had been burdened down from years of collecting disturbing doctrine. He kept listening to the apologists and trying to make it all work, but finally he just couldn't do it anymore. After being released from being bishop, he just sort of gradually went inactive.
The second one realized the emphasis on works was insane and it really is all about grace. He asked to be released as bishop and then left.
For me it was the realization that letting someone stand between me and god was the biggest lie in the world. Because if you allow that, they can tell you anything they want. I sent an email to my Stake president, resigning from the High Council and told him I was leaving the church.

Posted by: pewsitter ( )
Date: August 04, 2013 02:19PM

Outside of Utah, there is a huge group of missing members. It is the 50 plus age group. Almost all wards are mainly under 45 years of age. There are always older ones but think about this. At one time the 50 plus group were the under 45 active ones. Where are they now? Moved on to a new ward? Where would this ward be?

The over 50 group that continues to attend for the most part seems to be the ex-bishops. They are still being worshipped.

Posted by: otedge ( )
Date: August 04, 2013 02:24PM

pewsitter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Outside of Utah, there is a huge group of missing
> members. It is the 50 plus age group. Almost all
> wards are mainly under 45 years of age. There are
> always older ones but think about this. At one
> time the 50 plus group were the under 45 active
> ones. Where are they now? Moved on to a new ward?
> Where would this ward be?
>
> The over 50 group that continues to attend for the
> most part seems to be the ex-bishops. They are
> still being worshipped.

Pewsitter, you continue to have "info" to share that doesn't seem to pass the test of credibility. Where do you get your info? One ward in San Antonio isn't a representation of everything happening in TSCC. Most people that know what they are talking about recognize that the group leaving in "droves" are the post-mission singles in their 20s.

Posted by: Lenina ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 06:16PM

After meeting with my bishop several times because I was getting out of an abusive marriage, he stopped me in the hallway one Sunday as he'd done some thinking and the crowd was thinning out, people heading home. He told me, "Staying in your marriage would be the ideal thing to do." I assured him that, no, it wasn't. And bid him thank you and good day.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 10:32PM

I never worshiped my bishops...and only one commanded my respect and got it. He was and is the second best man I've ever known after my Dad and he married my wife and I 40 years ago. I just saw
him and his dear wife last week. I will always love him because of his goodness.

Ron Burr

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.