Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 01:22PM

I've been thinking about whisky for awhile because I like to pretend sometimes that I'm a cowboy from the super late 1800's and that I have to try to avenge some kind of grevience and hunt down some bandits.

(I know too much Red Dead Redemption and True Grit).

Anywho, whisky. Suggestions?

Mixes with?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 01:23PM

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 01:24PM

Jameson! It's the only whiskey I will touch.

You can mix whiskey with Coke or make a whiskey sour with some sweet and sour mix.

edit, not sweat mix! Yuck!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2011 01:25PM by itzpapalotl.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 01:32PM

... if your gonna be a cowboy, you can't cut it with no cola and s**t!

Timothy

Date: January 28, 2011 01:34PM

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 01:36PM

Old Crow

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 01:37PM

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 01:42PM

Coke is just nasty unless you mix it with alcohol.

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 01:51PM

sexismyreligion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Coke is just nasty unless you mix it with alcohol.

I concur.

We really enjoy 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, on the rocks or straight, round my neck o' the woods.

Date: January 28, 2011 01:42PM

Seems I need to redefine my views on cowboys.

Yippy-I-O-Gay-YAY! ... Cola in the whiskey's OK!

Timothy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2011 01:48PM by Timothy.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 02:13PM

they call it sippin whiskey!! no mixers allowed!!

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 02:19PM

It's G-L-E-N-L-I-V-E-T and W-H-I-S-K-Y...

Posted by: Rob ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 02:24PM

Eh, you're right Cabbie. But as a Canadien we have an obligation to hide extra 'e's in places when were dialogueing with our American counterparts.

So, I don't know if you'll even be able to get Gibsons as it is Canadian. I'm pretty sure we also spell axe with an 'e'.

Posted by: Flanders ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 04:06PM

I'm a puss so I like Jack and Coke.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 02:49PM

Jameson, another whisky that wishes it was Old Bushmills.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 01:39PM

I like gay cowboys...They usually have rhinestones on their shirts.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 01:55PM

Crown Royal(neat of course) is the best for not too much money. If you want to splurge, go Makers Mark. You are forbidden to put ANYTHING in these 2 holy liquids. If you have to mix, then any ole Jim Beam, or Jack will do.

Posted by: Serena ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 02:03PM

But I hate whiskey; I can't get past the smell, but if you like it, hokey dokey.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 02:04PM

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 02:08PM

The cowboys in my neck of the woods drink Jack Daniels.

My brother took this photo last summer.
http://fineartamerica.com/featured/whiskey-and-guns-leland-howard.html

Location is Idaho's Lost River Range.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 02:15PM

I'll probably have to head to an AA meeting after writing this one--I've been sober since the Carter Administration; quit drinking before Jimmy's late brother, Billy--but here goes...

I usually don't have much to say about products from the British Isles in comparison with what we Yanks produce (ever try to fix a Spitfire or an MG after an afternoon's drive in the country?), but in the drinking game, the mother country wins on this one--and I don't mean with dry gin either. Of course there's nothing wrong with gin for a summer drink with tonic or what-have-you...

Whisky means Scotch whisky, period, but I don't know how to tell you to acquire a taste for it. Cabdriver confession: a friend and I sacrificed a bottle of Pinch to some 7-up--God might've rendered me an alcoholic as punishment--in order to acquire the taste. Worked for me, but I'm embarassed to talk about it...

So scotch and water and later on the rocks became my poison-of-choice right there until the end... Chivas is a bit of a ladies' scotch, but you might start with it. Either of the Johnny Walker's, red or black, is a good blend you don't have to apologize for... Pinch is way too smokey until you've grown your drinking legs...

Perhaps to start out, a "Rusty Nail" is a good choice (no more than two, however, and probably only one). One ounce of good scotch and 1/2 oz. of Drambuie, a liqueur made from scotch and a bit of honey. Historical note: Drambuie may have actually been the legendary Viking brew, "Mead," and the Scots may have given it to the Vikings to stave off their depradations, well, until they got fed up and kicked the Norsemen's arses, and the longboat crowd never returned, knowing there was easier plunder to be had...

Anyway, on the subject of American Whiskeys, there are lots of hillbilly concoctions, and to my way of thinking, George Dickel's Tennessee sipping whiskey is the only stuff that doesn't taste like pond water.

You can also go with the soda pop way (hey, a 7&7--Seagrams 7 and 7-up--won't make a bartender cringe the way putting 7-up in real whisky would). That might do you until you're read to take the peat plunge...

Last, give the Rebs their do, and don't overlook Southern Comfort. Start with the lower proof version, and go real, real easy, and if you get too much, make sure the cabbie seats you by a door you can open easily...

SLC
Just demonstrating where he learned his art of bullshippin'

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 02:27PM

Forgot about Southern Comfort(and I'm in Virginy!) It is a good sipper for a good price. It is a little more sweet than most whiskeys.

Date: January 28, 2011 02:16PM

A close friend of mine is a whiskey drinker and he swears by Gibsons Finest.

On an unrelated note: What's with the "ax" instead of "ask"? Is that a futurama reference?

Date: January 28, 2011 02:22PM

Date: January 28, 2011 02:32PM

http://whiskeypro.tumblr.com/post/230355614/can-i-get-a-whiskey-or-whisky

This might help clear up the 'e' thing....or confuse the matter more.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 02:45PM

Wild Turkey on the rocks is pretty tasty. Usually I just drink a cheap bourbon mixed with Pepsi. Since I am a cowboy I don't have to fantasize.

Date: January 28, 2011 02:51PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2011 02:51PM by raptorjesus.

Posted by: fallible ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 04:00PM

Very nice neat in the winter, on the rocks in the summer or mixed with some Coke, Diet Coke or Dr. Pepper anytime.

Bourbon must be made in the states (preferrably Bourbon county Kentucky!) and must be made from at least 51% corn. A good bourbon has a distinctive flavor (good flavor!)due to the use of corn versus rye like a lot of Canadian whiskey or barley like Scotch whisky. Having tried many different whiskey's I like good bourbon the best. Hey, I likes what I likes.

If you can't find BT, around the same price (here in Utah) is Makers Mark, another good bourbon. If you're really new to whiskey you may need to mix it at first.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 04:00PM

As an exmo with polygamous Canadian ancestors, RJ, you should go with Crown Royal.

(I completely made up the canadian thing.)

Date: January 28, 2011 04:15PM

... but have yet to receive a reply.

Don't know why.

Timothy

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 04:44PM

Knob Creek Bourbon Whiskey....tumbler full of ice, a finger or two of Knob Creek and fill glass with water. Adjust amounts to taste....stronger or weaker.

Probably my favorite whiskey drink.....and you can use any whiskey you like, just get a good top shelf brand.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.