Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: perceptual ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 09:39PM

Please reference this to anyone who believes Hinckley is a prophet and that Joseph Smith is not the source for most revelations in the church:

Gordon B. Hinckley, San Francisco Chronicle April 14, 1997

Q: And this belief in contemporary revelation and prophecy? As the prophet, tell us how that works. How do you receive divine revelation? What does it feel like?

A: Let me say first that we have a great body of revelation, the vast majority of which came from the prophet Joseph Smith. We don't need much revelation. We need to pay more attention to the revelation we've already received.

A: Now, if a problem should arise on which we don't have an answer, we pray about it, we may fast about it, and it comes. Quietly. Usually no voice of any kind, but just a perception in the mind. I liken it to Elijah's experience. When he sought the Lord, there was a great wind, and the Lord was not in the wind. And there was an earthquake, and the Lord was not in the earthquake. And a fire, and the Lord was not in the fire. But in a still, small voice. Now that's the way it works.

He says it himself; it's just in his mind, and Joseph Smith came up with most of the prophecies. Can anyone still think Joseph Smith didn't just make all this stuff up and Hinckley is no prophet?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 10:07PM

Gordy knew he wasn't a prophet. There was another interview where the person asked him something like "So, you're a prophet?" and his answer was [paraphrasing as best I remember, someone else can give the exact quote] "the church sustains me as such."

Then there was the time he said the church was either all true or the biggest fabrication of all time- there was no inbetween.

He gave so many hints that it was all a con, that anyone who didn't pick up on them truly is a brainwashed TBM.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 10:23PM

Either you have the gift or you don't. If you don't receive revelation from God, then you are not a prophet.

Getting a tiny bit of inspiration that you think may or may not come from God is not prophecy. Either God speaks to you or you are just a bureaucrat in a corporation with a magical title you cannot uphold.

Hinckley was a prophet just like Oz was a wizard. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 05:11AM

The wizard of Oz versus the MORmON wizard of spin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mlCTHLlemA

Posted by: Lovely ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 11:22AM

Would love to see an interviewer corner a President into answering simply YES or NO, no vague response allowed. "ARE YOU A PROPHET OF GOD?"

The President is not supposed to lie. If he answers "Yes, I am a prophet," it would be a lie, and he knows it. If he responds truthfully, "No, I am not a prophet," the whole church would fall apart.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 11:26AM

I've had the same thoughts. Having read some of his comments, I've wondered if he really did have a conscience and was trying to drop subtle hints for true seekers of truth.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 10:17PM

"I don't know that we teach that."
GBH

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 05:08AM

Smith to Hinckley .....? here is exactly how it works!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UncZBWcIPL8

Posted by: Red ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 11:31AM

"You're not much to look at, but you're all the lord has." Thus saith the Prophet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UncZBWcIPL8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Posted by: homoerectus ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 11:08AM

Was the lord not in the still small voice then??? Like it wasnt in the wind, earthquake, or fire?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2013 11:09AM by homoerectus.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 12:10PM

As far as I can see no leader of the church has claimed to have
had a visitation for over a century. The early leaders were
wild-eyed religious radicals who had visions at the drop of a
rock in a hat. The current crop are steely-eyed businessmen.

Even Kimball's "revelation" on Blacks and the Priesthood was his
FEELINGS after he and the guys prayed and prayed about it.

The least important entity in Mormonism is God.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.