Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tonto Schwartz ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 11:16PM

I heard from a friend who is a TBM that a man got up in testimony meeting yesterday and said he had received a long form letter from a man he had known for a long time with the last name of Brinton who had held a high position in the LDS Church in which this Brinton said that he had resigned from the Church because he had found out about a number of historical problems which were apparently listed in the letter. The man bearing his testimony then went on to very emotionally state that he is sure that many mistakes were made in the early Church but the Church is his heritage and he still believes blah blah blah. Does anyone know who this Brinton is and what happened?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 11:39PM

Not these guys by the looks of it, but the name is TBM, and family are in leadership.

http://sallyandgregbrinton.blogspot.co.nz/

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 09:10AM

There are a couple of Brinton families in Provo who are well known OB/GYN doctors. One of them got into legal trouble a while ago for malpractice when he started doing plastic surgery as I recall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2013 09:10AM by gemini.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 10:01PM

That was my first thought also. I didn't know there were more Brinton OB/GYNs than one, but 30+ years ago when we lived in BYU married student housing there was one who everybody just loved. He'd be older than me so could very well be high up in the church.

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 11:14PM

The one with legal troubles for malpractice was James. He was my OB/GYN for years. His brother Greg is an eye surgeon rather than an OB/GYN, if I remember correctly.

I haven't heard of one of the Brintons leaving the church, but I'll ask around.

Posted by: anonatthistime ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 04:40PM

That OB/GYN was our doctor for our first pregnancy. Less than one month before the due date, he informed us that he can't do the delivery and refered us to another doctor. I thought this was very dishonest and was very disconcerting to first time parents.

Posted by: UnlikelyAddition ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 01:43AM

Gary is Mormon. Was introduced to me as that. Still in practice as far as I know.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 11:14PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2013 11:23PM by steve benson.

Posted by: anonymous today ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 02:26PM

Steve Benson -- which of the brothers played Satan in a temple film?? We knew this whole family decades ago....any of them who resigned would have a big impact on the community.

Side note: oldest brother James (doctor from Provo) should be released from Federal prison this summer...

Date: August 08, 2013 02:42PM

Posted by: dit ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 04:31PM

Date: August 08, 2013 07:46PM

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 07:52PM

Best part in the skit.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 04:42PM

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 05:30PM

Could it possibly be Doug Brinton, the writer?

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 08:07PM

Neither of these articles mention Gary Brinton's church status, but if he's been able to bilk ward members, he'd have to be attending church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.